Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:38:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial

Started by Barry Admin, April 13, 2022, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

No thread? Noone watching this?

Sky coverage is kind of amusing, lot of chat about whether or not Depp called her a cunt whose corpse he'd like to see rotting in the boot of a Honda Civic.

up_the_hampipe

This story is so hard to keep up with. Twitter seems to think Amber Heard is an evil liar, but I don't know if that's just Johnny Depp stans flooding the topic. This trial is supposed to be lasting for seven(?) weeks which is going to present a daunting amount of information and accusations. I'm interested in the potential car crash that is James Franco's testimony though.

touchingcloth

Didn't they do this already? Like pre-COVID?

What the fuck is time any more?

Dr Rock

Amber Heard is an evil liar. I'm no Johnny Depp stan, I've just been following the story sometimes.

imitationleather

JamesTC

Hope he goes to court dressed as Willy Wonka and all his witnesses are just Deep Roy over and over again.

Twit 2

I reckon they're both toxic twats who have behaved awfully and now want to spunk all their money on constantly reminding the public they're cunts. If I had to pick one being worse than the other, Depp for sure.

frajer

Remember when they illegally flew Amber Heard's dogs into Australia and had to do a haunting video apology to avoid criminal charges?

Even Bart Simpson caused less bloody hassle than these egomaniacs.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 13, 2022, 06:50:05 PMI reckon they're both toxic twats who have behaved awfully and now want to spunk all their money on constantly reminding the public they're cunts. If I had to pick one being worse than the other, Depp for sure.

I agree but think Herd is the worst of the two, from what I've heard in the media. I know Depp has much more of a fan base so the media is more in his favour.

TheGingerAlien

I'm no big Depp fan - he seems alright by Hollywood standards, but it seems odd that this stuff seems to be isolated to his relationship with her (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong).  There's recordings out there from their marriage counselling or something which make for very disturbing listening. I really don't want to assume the worst about Heard here, but she sounds like an absolute nightmare on those tapes.

Also
Quote from: Barry Admin on April 13, 2022, 06:00:42 PMhe'd like to see rotting in the boot of a Honda Civic.

I dunno what Depp has against Honda but this surely has to be the next trial.

Noodle Lizard

These recordings are really chilling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl2bk4QUXL8

At the very least, Depp has a case that she probably shouldn't be going around as a spokesperson for survivors of domestic violence when she gleefully admits to perpetrating it herself. Out of the two of them, she's the only one with ex-partners who've accused her of violence also.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 13, 2022, 06:50:05 PMI reckon they're both toxic twats who have behaved awfully and now want to spunk all their money on constantly reminding the public they're cunts. If I had to pick one being worse than the other, Depp for sure.

⬆️

Blumf

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 13, 2022, 06:00:42 PMwhose corpse he'd like to see rotting in the boot of a Honda Civic.

That's crazy! Should be a Honda Accord at least.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Blumf on April 13, 2022, 07:53:41 PMThat's crazy! Should be a Honda Accord at least.

Depp afforded himself a little smile when his Honda Civic flourish was read out. Proud of that one.

Video Game Fan 2000

The stars are so fascinating and glamorous, not like us.

Rizla

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on April 13, 2022, 07:34:40 PMI dunno what Depp has against Honda but this surely has to be the next trial.
Honda has longstanding links to violence in houses.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Rizla on April 13, 2022, 08:12:52 PMHonda has longstanding links to violence in houses.

Car-powered head divorce?

touchingcloth

TheGingerAlien

Butchers Blind

I've no idea what all this is about, can someone give me the cliffs notes on this.

the science eel

He went on benders, smacked her about, 'full of remorse' later, on and on we go

Her I dunno

Dr Rock

Amber Heard done a poo in Johnny Depp's bed.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 13, 2022, 08:47:14 PMI've no idea what all this is about, can someone give me the cliffs notes on this.

QuoteJohnny Depp has lost one high-profile defamation case involving his ex-wife, Amber Heard, in a London court. On Monday, the 58-year-old actor launched a sequel in Fairfax, Virginia, as part of an effort to refute career-damaging allegations that he abused Heard during their three-year marriage.

50m defamation trial.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 13, 2022, 08:47:14 PMI've no idea what all this is about, can someone give me the cliffs notes on this.
I feel like there are a million entertainment websites offering this service.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: the science eel on April 13, 2022, 08:49:18 PMHe went on benders, smacked her about, 'full of remorse' later, on and on we go

Her I dunno

She claimed.

Her ex's appear to have similar stories whereas his don't. Not proof but adds to weight of probability

Butchers Blind

canadagoose

I think they're probably both pricks, but Heard is the one that gives me major red flag / narc vibes. She seems to have a habit of grandstanding to the press about things quite a lot and presenting herself as both the biggest victim ever and so courageous at once. Ugh.

bgmnts

Listening to that recording it seems pretty open and shut to me, unsure if Depp is a prick I dont know the bloke but domestic abuse is never on ever.

Noodle Lizard

Basically, they had an acrimonious break-up/divorce, at which point she claimed he had thrown stuff at/hit her during an argument. Others in Depp's camp (most publicly Doug Stanhope, strangely enough) have said he was hiding out trying to avoid a confrontation earlier on the day this happened, after she'd supposedly told him she was going to leave him and destroy him publicly if he didn't agree to her terms.

There was a bit of back-and-forth at the time, where she was asking for half of his properties, but they ultimately decided to settle, with Depp agreeing to give her $7m (which she claimed she would donate to a charity, although it's unclear whether that's happened), and released a joint statement saying basically "It was a mad relationship, but neither of us intentionally harmed the other".

Fast forward a few months, and Amber Heard has gone to the Washington Post with an article in which she details her experiences as a survivor of domestic abuse - not naming Depp specifically, but of course everybody knows exactly what she's talking about. In the Depp camp's eyes, this constitutes a violation of their divorce settlement, as well as defamation since they maintain that Depp was more of a victim than an abuser in that relationship.

What follows is a series of increasingly embarrassing trials which air out all their dirty laundry for everyone to see. Depp's camp also starts a separate defamation/libel trial against The Sun in the UK for labeling him a "wife-beater", which he loses. As a result of this, he loses most of his high profile acting gigs (dropped by Disney as Jack Sparrow, replaced in Fantastic Beasts etc.) This is a separate case entirely, and doesn't constitute any meaningful verdict on crimes committed within the relationship (or afterwards), just that a UK judge decided The Sun weren't breaking libel laws to call him a wife-beater based on available evidence. A good deal of people think this ruling was unfair, and it sets yet another precedent for tabloids to feel comfortable publishing any old shit without any due process.

What we're seeing now is the actual defamation trial against Heard, filed in Virginia where the Washington Post is based. From what I understand, Heard has very little concrete evidence to support her side of the story, whereas the Depp camp has a good deal of witness testimony and audio/video recordings that portray her as the aggressor. The fact that all of Depp's ex-partners are supportive of him, whereas Heard has a few exes who have publicly claimed she was violent and emotionally abusive towards them, certainly goes some way to supporting his case. It's also very difficult to listen to those released recordings of their therapy sessions without believing that she's, at the very least, as capable of being as abusive as she claimed he was.

It's all very embarrassing, ultimately, and I don't think either one of their careers will survive it well. From everything I've heard and read, Depp comes off as emotionally immature and a bit clueless, with blatant substance abuse issues that don't help matters in the slightest. But I think you'd have to perform some pretty mad mental gymnastics to believe Heard is simply an innocent victim in all of this. You only need to hear those recordings to realise that he is absolutely terrified of her. In those recordings, she belittles him, gaslights him, tries to convince him that it's "normal" for her to lash out physically when he doesn't do what she wants - and this is in a recorded therapy session! There's nowhere near that amount of "from the horse's mouth" evidence for the abuse she claims he perpetrated - at least not yet. I don't think the messages to Paul Bettany about "burning her on a bonfire" really count - I've sent similar messages to my wife when a friend has been late for a lunch.

Depp's sister testified recently explaining that she'd seen Heard chastise him in front of everyone, calling him a "fat old man" etc. and downplaying his accomplishments. All of that testimony really does tally with Stanhope's summation from a few years ago of what he observed in their relationship, before they were even married. Depp may well be a wanker - he almost definitely is - but there's been nothing presented so far that has made me take Heard's (or The Sun's) side over his.

(And I really hate Johnny Depp, for countless other reasons)

Noodle Lizard

Based on purely personal experience, it's the way she chastises him from "running away from fights" in those recordings that really gets to me. I used to "run away" from a partner who would throw things/physically lash out during an argument, and I heard the same condemnation for it later. "You just can't handle my emotions" etc. The reason someone runs from that is because the situation has become violent and you don't want to engage in violence.