Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GC Rowling's Battlefield TERF, part 2: Fantastic Wheeshts and Where to Find Them

Started by Mister Six, April 14, 2022, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mister Six on April 15, 2022, 03:08:29 PMApparently that's a reference to a meme.

Ohh interesting, knew it was DBZ but no idea beyond that. The lyrics that mystify me are when she says she doesn't need people's opinions on her "casualties", and that she says she's in a cast, and no, you can't sign it.

My interpretation is it's a metaphor for transitioning; that people's medical status is noone else's business, and not something folks should feel automatically entitled to comment on. Its not like having a cast on your arm or leg, where people feel it's their right to comment or to be actively involved and become a part of it.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 15, 2022, 03:20:58 PMOhh interesting, knew it was DBZ but no idea beyond that. The lyrics that mystify me are when she says she doesn't need people's opinions on her "casualties", and that she says she's in a cast, and no, you can't sign it.

My interpretation is it's a metaphor for transitioning; that people's medical status is noone else's business, and not something folks should feel automatically entitled to comment on. Its not like having a cast on your arm or leg, where people feel it's their right to comment or to be actively involved and become a part of it.

The cast and no you can't sign it probably references genitals. Trans women often get asked if they "still have a penis" by chasers / transphobes. "Can't sign it" probably means no you can't fuck me after asking such a stupid question.

JK & Sharron Davis pushing the big news that three people got injured in a Guam high school rugby match

Dr Rock

How many cis girls are injured by other cis girls playing rugby? None?

Dog Botherer

thing is they're ignoring that this is very common in underage rugby with both genders, with kids going through growth spurts coming back 6" taller and 100lbs heavier and playing against the same kids they were before. that's why unions like New Zealand are bringing in weight classes at underage levels.

but y'know, they're such big fans of rugby. they're just so concerned about it's future.

Jollity

No, because real ladies are so dainty and gentle that they couldn't possibly injure someone, even by accident.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 15, 2022, 06:31:41 PMJK & Sharron Davis pushing the big news that three people got injured in a Guam high school rugby match

"The aggressive nature that was witnessed clearly shows that it's a definite issue"

(it's fucking rugby)

oh how interesting, world rugby says no trans women in women's rugby because of them all being huge manly dumptrucks

"It's purely a safety issue" that's as may be. What's your rationale for excluding short trans women? oh wait "transgender males" fuck you

Sebastian Cobb

Women's rugby has to be the sport where (perhaps wrongly) rejecting traditional norms and being built like a burly bloke is considered a big advantage.

Isn't mixed rugby a fairly common thing at lower levels as well?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 15, 2022, 08:06:28 PMWomen's rugby has to be the sport where (perhaps wrongly) rejecting traditional norms and being built like a burly bloke is considered a big advantage.

Isn't mixed rugby a fairly common thing at lower levels as well?

minis (pre-teen) is almost always mixed. i think it depends on the union what age they get separated at. from personal experience i've seen 12-13 y/o girls play against boys and absolutely hold their own.

just a couple of weeks ago one of the Irish women's coaches was practically begging the mens team to train against them. but it's not like a professional rugby coach has the safety of his players in mind. clearly he wants them all mangled by those burly psychos.

https://www.irishpost.com/sport/irelands-womens-rugby-team-are-looking-into-the-idea-of-training-with-the-mens-teams-to-get-better-232602

Kankurette

Quote from: Mister Six on April 15, 2022, 03:08:29 PMApparently that's a reference to a meme.
It's OVER NINE THOUSAND!
Quote from: Better Midlands on April 15, 2022, 06:31:41 PMJK & Sharron Davis pushing the big news that three people got injured in a Guam high school rugby match

Just wait till they hear what goes on in women's football. Players getting injured by...other women. Also, it's RUGBY. People get injured in matches.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dog Botherer on April 15, 2022, 08:14:01 PMminis (pre-teen) is almost always mixed. i think it depends on the union what age they get separated at. from personal experience i've seen 12-13 y/o girls play against boys and absolutely hold their own.

just a couple of weeks ago one of the Irish women's coaches was practically begging the mens team to train against them. but it's not like a professional rugby coach has the safety of his players in mind. clearly he wants them all mangled by those burly psychos.

https://www.irishpost.com/sport/irelands-womens-rugby-team-are-looking-into-the-idea-of-training-with-the-mens-teams-to-get-better-232602

Informative thanks! 12-13 still being peak age for someone to go through a spurt and come back way more tonk than their peers of course!

Mister Six

Quote from: Dog Botherer on April 15, 2022, 07:35:20 PMthing is they're ignoring that this is very common in underage rugby with both genders

Yeah, the key questions that have to be asked (and that this journo apparently couldn't be bothered with) are:

1- How many injuries have occured in this league/group in the past, say, two years?

2- How many of them were attributable to trans players?

Plus, there's obviously an unreliable narrator element in that the guy whose team lost is making the complaint.

It would help if they explained what the injuries are, too. Could be anything from a bruise to paralysis, but I didn't hear details in the report.

Seems like yellow journalism to me.

wrec

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 15, 2022, 02:55:18 PMWhen JK QT'ed Faye her follower count more than doubled but she also received shit loads of abuse. Impressively she never went priv or deactivated as most people do. She stayed around and doubled down, reposted the song after twitter deleted it and spent a while arguing with alt-righters.

A couple of days after posting the song she tweeted a selfie, and I reported over 20 nasty replies involving misgendering or other insults, all of which were deemed not to have broken the Twitter terms of use. Can't be hard to flag that kind of behaviour but it's probably better for Twitter that people can spend all day harassing people.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 14, 2022, 09:42:57 PMI think trans people at the time were just used for novelty/shock factor and didn't have the same kind of visibility, so no, there wasn't the same kind of moral panic, but it still wasn't a great state of affairs regardless.

Nadia Almada was put in the Big Brother house as a kind of time-bomb. The viewers were told she was a trans woman, but it was kept quiet from the other housemates. Then most of their exit interviews had a section involving them being told that Nadia was actually trans, so their surprised reactions could be captured live. All pretty horrible really.

The public did get behind her though, and make her the winner.

Been thinking about this (and the tail of the conversation at the end of the thread).

In the late 2000s/early 2010's I just started work as an IT drone.

Anyhow there was a group of us that went to lunch together most days, call it a clique if you will. Among them was a lesbian called Karen.

A while later, after Karen had left, someone boorishly deadnamed her.

The deadnaming is grim but I never thought anything about it at the time, I don't think anyone thought she was anything but a woman.

There certainly wasn't any toilet concern, the showers only existed in the men's and they used to put up a plastic flag in the doorway when women used it.

I was having a shit once and a woman who cycled in knocked then immediately entered without listening to me saying 'no I'm having a shit here'. So entered into me just camping out in the bog cubicle waiting for it to clear so I didn't risk bumping into her in some weird carry on sketch.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

A while ago, either in the previous JK thread or one of the Glinner threads, someone posted an article about English women's rugby introducing height and weight restrictions in an attempt to tackle (heh) the issue  of trans players. I quibbled with it at the time as a number of the Irish women's team exceeded one or both of the requirements, but actually it's a lot fairer than a blanket ban. For instance, both Fallon Fox and Alana McLaughlin (former and current trans UFC fighters) would be eligible to play women's rugby under those rules as both are around 5' 7" and weigh under 140lb.

Again however I question how "widespread" this "problem" actually is.

Sebastian Cobb

Apologies if I crack-handedly managed to do transphobia myself in that 'anecdote' I fear I might've done, but didn't intend to.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 15, 2022, 11:54:59 PMApologies if I crack-handedly managed to do transphobia myself in that 'anecdote' I fear I might've done, but didn't intend to.

We all hate you now

Johnny Yesno

Kankurette

You kind of have to be built like a brick shithouse for some positions though. It's like banning female footballers over 6 foot. Christiane Endler, the Chilean number 1, is over 6ft and she's one of the best keepers in women's football.

Cold Meat Platter

Simply create avatar-like surrogate bodies for all sportspeople and transfer their minds into them.
All the bodies have exactly the same capabilities so it's only about the mental effort.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 15, 2022, 11:53:15 PMA while ago, either in the previous JK thread or one of the Glinner threads, someone posted an article about English women's rugby introducing height and weight restrictions in an attempt to tackle (heh) the issue  of trans players. I quibbled with it at the time as a number of the Irish women's team exceeded one or both of the requirements, but actually it's a lot fairer than a blanket ban. For instance, both Fallon Fox and Alana McLaughlin (former and current trans UFC fighters) would be eligible to play women's rugby under those rules as both are around 5' 7" and weigh under 140lb.

Again however I question how "widespread" this "problem" actually is.

the issue is mind bogglingly niche. trans people make up a small number of the populace, even fewer of whom are trans women. then how many are playing rugby? an incredibly small number. how many are playing it to any real competitive standard? to my knowledge, zero.

a size/weight ban doesn't work in pro rugby however. for instance, Faf De Klerk and Lood De Jager play for the same team and are two of the best players in the world. Faf is 5"7. Lood is 6"10. i'm less familiar with the individual players in the women's game but the principle stands: rugby has always been a game for all sizes. i've been watching some of the Super W in Australia this year and there are some absolutely massive women playing, 6"4 250 lb props just absolutely skittling players. no one is pissed about those women, they wish they had them on their fucking team! it's all so fucking stupid.

besides, as anyone with more than a passing interest in rugby knows, massive does not automatically equal good. a lot of absolute units at underage end up with poor game awareness and technique because they rely on their physical attributes and don't develop the skills they need to reach the top level.

shoulders

Bear in mind a lot of people exercised about trans people in sport hate sport and have no interest in it, which comes across in their near total ignorance.

Kankurette

If they paid any attention they'd know how few trans people there really are in sport.

buttgammon

Quote from: shoulders on April 16, 2022, 07:09:01 AMBear in mind a lot of people exercised about trans people in sport hate sport and have no interest in it, which comes across in their near total ignorance.

Yes, it really does. It's opportunism, and with people like Graham Linehan especially, I get a whiff of that snobbish contempt some people have for sports fans.

Dr Rock

They shouldn't have rugby in schools, it's too dangerous. I broke my collarbone. It's also shit, and I'd much rather they did football at my school, and you can stuff cricket up your arse while you're at it.