Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A serial lawbreaking liar - Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson scandal thread 2

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 19, 2022, 01:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

you can tell he really did a lot of thinking about his decision

Quote from: jobotic on July 06, 2022, 10:24:34 PMSome member of the public on BBC News just said

"there's no one else who can look after the country the way Boris does"

Just fucking what

Yeah, there was some gammon woman on Sky bemoaning that because of Brexit, COVID and Ukraine he hadn't been able to just sit down and get on with the job and show us what he's capable of.

But we shouldn't be surprised. That's what the past six years have all been about; convincing the public that keeping the lights on isn't really the government's responsibility and that such matters are a distraction from the day job of hurting whoever or whatever happens to be currently labelled as "the elite".

Alberon

And we're off again.

Brandon Lewis, the NI Secretary, resigns for real this time.

shoulders

shoulders

It has been an honour to serve and this is a gut-wrenching decision but it is with a heavy heart I can no longer serve in Anthony Eden's cabinet.

jobotic

Alberon

So what happens next? Johnson can't just sit there and hope his MPs back down.

The 1922 Committee election is on Monday, they'll change the rules on Tuesday and Johnson will lose the confidence vote on Wednesday.

So all that is left to him is one last throw of the dice. I'm convinced he'll call a general election before the weekend.

It's that or quit.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Alberon on July 07, 2022, 07:26:11 AMSo what happens next? Johnson can't just sit there and hope his MPs back down.

The 1922 Committee election is on Monday, they'll change the rules on Tuesday and Johnson will lose the confidence vote on Wednesday.

So all that is left to him is one last throw of the dice. I'm convinced he'll call a general election before the weekend.

It's that or quit.

He'll get the boot on Monday, so sit back and enjoy the circus until then.

Fambo Number Mive

If Johnson does call a general election, will the Tories do that well? Won't Labour try and claim that the general election is some kind of referendum on Johnson's leadership? I can see them losing a lot of seats.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 07, 2022, 07:53:24 AMIf Johnson does call a general election, will the Tories do that well? Won't Labour try and claim that the general election is some kind of referendum on Johnson's leadership? I can see them losing a lot of seats.

The Britain Elects model predicted that they'd get around 230 seats, with Labour just short of a majority.

Alberon

If Johnson stays in charge they'll do badly. If they manage to get him out but still have to go on with the election with a temporary leader they will still suffer.

Get rid of Johnson and blame everything on him and they'll win the next election.

buttgammon

How do the Tories select candidates? I.e. would he be able to deselect all of these people who've turned on him before a general election?

shoulders

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 07, 2022, 07:59:20 AMThe Britain Elects model predicted that they'd get around 230 seats, with Labour just short of a majority.

If it was held today.

An election is traditionally held after a month long PR war and exchange of policy offerings and there is almost always some swing towards an incumbent in the closing days.

I don't claim to know what the outcome would be either as a result of the above but if Johnson were to manage it (almost certainly not going to happen) it would give Johnson a bigger opportunity to rescue his premiership than he currently has.

shoulders

Quote from: buttgammon on July 07, 2022, 08:02:48 AMHow do the Tories select candidates? I.e. would he be able to deselect all of these people who've turned on him before a general election?

That's the speculation. However he would first need to get CoD to dissolve parliament and still be in his post. I've read convincing wargaming from various people that suggest that's going to be impossible.

Johnson seems to have forgotten rule 1 of this playbook which is to always be a step ahead of prevailing events making the news not reacting to it, and constantly on the front foot shifting the terrain in his favour. Perhaps he should have retained Cummings.

Mobius

About 3 more have resigned in the last 20 minutes I can't even keep up any more

jobotic

greencalx

It's great isn't it? Long may it continue.

I still find it rather sweet the way people are making confident predictions about where this is going to go from here, based on political convention and precedent, when there really is no precedent.

Quote from: jobotic on July 07, 2022, 08:07:36 AMIs there any way this could result in Priti Patel as PM?

This is something that people assure me is impossible, because the Tory party would never back a brown woman, but I wouldn't rule anything out these days.

buttgammon

Quote from: shoulders on July 07, 2022, 08:05:24 AMThat's the speculation. However he would first need to get CoD to dissolve parliament and still be in his post. I've read convincing wargaming from various people that suggest that's going to be impossible.

True, and arguably, if they can find an obvious candidate to replace him, she'd actually be in a position to refuse. As morbid curiosity means I want to see this reach full fuckdown, I'd love to see something like that.

Quote from: Mobius on July 07, 2022, 08:06:28 AMAbout 3 more have resigned in the last 20 minutes I can't even keep up any more

Chris Philp has just resigned. They're making them up at this stage; The Times are speculating Bobson Dugnutt is about to hand in his resignation as junior Cabinet Office minister.

shoulders

Quote from: greencalx on July 07, 2022, 08:10:49 AMIt's great isn't it? Long may it continue.

I still find it rather sweet the way people are making confident predictions about where this is going to go from here, based on political convention and precedent, when there really is no precedent.

This is something that people assure me is impossible, because the Tory party would never back a brown woman, but I wouldn't rule anything out these days.

Lloyd George is somewhat of a precedent though not exactly a flush fit.

Mobius

Mobius

shoulders

Quote from: buttgammon on July 07, 2022, 08:11:33 AMTrue, and arguably, if they can find an obvious candidate to replace him, she'd actually be in a position to refuse. As morbid curiosity means I want to see this reach full fuckdown, I'd love to see something like that.

Chris Philp has just resigned. They're making them up at this stage; The Times are speculating Bobson Dugnutt is about to hand in his resignation as junior Cabinet Office minister.

Dwigt Rortugal gone from Foreign Office.
😞