Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 01, 2022, 02:44:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Alan Partridge: Stratagem

Started by Magnum Valentino, April 23, 2022, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Tomorrow night's show in Glasgow has been cancelled too. I'd booked a ticket for that, my first gig outing in over two years. Oh well.

Malcy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 23, 2022, 09:05:29 PMTomorrow night's show in Glasgow has been cancelled too. I'd booked a ticket for that, my first gig outing in over two years. Oh well.

I thought it must have been going ahead as was offered seat filler tickets last night.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

His Glasgow show on Wednesday is still going ahead, apparently.

PaulTMA

Glasgow Tuesday cancelled with no reschedule.  Bit of a shit state of affairs, the amount of empty seats didn't look that bad really, considering there'd be extra time to flog a few more.  We got an email suggesting we buy the crap seats for the following day, so sod that.

privatefriend

Quote from: Malcy on May 23, 2022, 09:12:55 PMI thought it must have been going ahead as was offered seat filler tickets last night.

How do you become a seat filler, is there a special course?

Malcy

Looks like the 2nd Hydro gig in Hlashow has gone ahead tonight so fingers crossed he doesn't overdo it and he's good for Edinburgh tomorrow. Have sorted out travel for half the journey so that's something. Really looking forward to it now.

Blue Jam

At the Embra Playhouse now. Can anyone please tell me if the programme is worth buying? Ta.

JamesTC

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 26, 2022, 07:35:15 PMAt the Embra Playhouse now. Can anyone please tell me if the programme is worth buying? Ta.

Not really worth £10 just as a programme itself. But it is a nice memento of the evening, so might be worth it on that front.

I'll post pictures of it on here after the show has stopped touring (seems a bit rum to post pics before it has finished).

Blue Jam

Thanks @JamesTC, they're £7 here but they look a bit slim. I don't usually bother with programmes but I got one the last time I was at the Playhouse, to see Reeves & Mortimer, because it was full of cool old photos of the lads and lots of Vic's artwork and it was a beautiful thing, well worth a tenner.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Malcy on May 25, 2022, 10:10:02 PMLooks like the 2nd Hydro gig in Hlashow has gone ahead tonight so fingers crossed he doesn't overdo it and he's good for Edinburgh tomorrow. Have sorted out travel for half the journey so that's something. Really looking forward to it now.


Was it you I advised to give the Hydro a miss and come tae Embra instead? I am a bit relieved at that.

BritishHobo

Yeah the programme isn't great. I was hoping it would be like the little fake Shortlist magazine guest-edited by Alan that came with the DVD of the film, and has some proper funny original Partridge material in it. Not quite so much here.

bgmnts

Yeah it wasnt great especially for a tenner (fuck you Cardiff) but it is a treasured memmento.

Malcy

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 26, 2022, 07:45:12 PMThanks @JamesTC, they're £7 here but they look a bit slim. I don't usually bother with programmes but I got one the last time I was at the Playhouse, to see Reeves & Mortimer, because it was full of cool old photos of the lads and lots of Vic's artwork and it was a beautiful thing, well worth a tenner.

Cost me a tenner!

Malcy

Thoroughly enjoyed that. He was really close to putting me in the big screen at one point but luckily just dodged it!

The front row seats in front of me were empty for the first half then 2 people who were a bit pissed or on something sat in front of me. One of them was constantly taking pictures and it took until the last 5 seconds of the show for someone to shine a torch at him which was quite distracting. Pissed me off a bit.

Thought the first half was the strongest but overall excellent. Really really funny. Need to let it all sink in.


Blue Jam

Quote from: Malcy on May 26, 2022, 09:05:26 PMCost me a tenner!

Sorry, I misheard the attendant when I asked the price, on the way out I saw they were indeed a tenner. Had a quick look, hoping it'd have lots of original writing, I, Partridge style but it didn't.

Cracking night out, will also need to let it sink in. Just trying to decide what the funniest line was, I liked "bastard academies" and "medically gormless".

Who was the plant in the audience? I did wonder if it was Morwenna Banks for a bit but I'm probably wrong there. She was great.

Malcy

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 26, 2022, 10:36:33 PMSorry, I misheard the attendant when I asked the price, on the way out I saw they were indeed a tenner. Had a quick look, hoping it'd have lots of original writing, I, Partridge style but it didn't.

Cracking night out, will also need to let it sink in. Just trying to decide what the funniest line was, I liked "bastard academies" and "medically gormless".

Who was the plant in the audience? I did wonder if it was Morwenna Banks for a bit but I'm probably wrong there. She was great.

Yeah it was mostly pages of the cast and crew but a few pages of Alan stuff.

Dunno who the plant was but she was loud! Wasn't Morwenna but could have seen her play the part well.

BritishHobo

The plant (and the monopolising guest in the first half) was Emma Sidi. Really Really good in Liam Williams' Pls Like on iPlayer.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 26, 2022, 10:41:04 PMThe plant (and the monopolising guest in the first half) was Emma Sidi. Really Really good in Liam Williams' Pls Like on iPlayer.

OMG, Millipede! I love her! Thanks for that. I didn't even recognise her in the first half, possibly because we were on the balcony and too far back to see. She was great in both parts.

McDead

I saw this last night. Generally very good, a few longeurs and tedious bits, but the

Spoiler alert
song that closed act one
[close]

was pitch perfect Partridge. Also

Spoiler alert
the guest appearance by Martin Brennan
[close]

got a HUGE response from the Glasgow crowd. I was quite hungover so found myself strangely moved by the whole thing.

Bit disappointed that STRATAGEM itself wasn't more of a thing, I like Partridge as a hopelessly out of his depth lecturer/self help advocate. Would've liked more in the way of chat. Surprisingly, it was

Spoiler alert
VERY musical
[close]

A LOT of camera and tech people swarming around throughout, I think this show was being filmed for future release. Hope we gave the lad a good atmosphere

TheMonk

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 19, 2022, 05:37:01 PMMade me realise that the Gibbons' had been giving Alan happy twilight years for a while - the radio show, the girlfriend, the dog, the return to the BBC - and have then piece by piece snatched it all away from him again.
This also happened in that old BBC sitcom Only Fools Are Horses. That was good.

Malcy

Forgot to ask if anyone struggled with the sound at the beginning of the Edinburgh show. I could only make out half of the beginning.

Malcy

Several times today I've burst out laughing remembering bits of this. If it had been on again tonight I think I would have gone.

McDead

#112
I'm the same, Malcy. I suppose my only real disappointment is that

Spoiler alert
we didn't get to the E in STRATAGEM
[close]

Malcy

Quote from: McDead on May 27, 2022, 07:36:09 PMI'm the same, Malcy. I suppose my only really disappointment is that

Spoiler alert
we didn't get to the E in STRATAGEM
[close]

It was such a secondary thing really which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I think it must be getting a release. At one point last night he was up on the gantry(?) and the cameraman's silhouette was was more prominent than Partridge was.

JamesTC

Quote from: McDead on May 27, 2022, 07:36:09 PMI'm the same, Malcy. I suppose my only really disappointment is that

Spoiler alert
we didn't get to the E in STRATAGEM
[close]

For those who didn't catch it or haven't seen the show:

Spoiler alert
The E in STRATAGEM stands for Eggs, Eggs, Eggs. We recieve no explanation.
[close]

GMTV

Quote from: Malcy on May 27, 2022, 10:43:14 AMForgot to ask if anyone struggled with the sound at the beginning of the Edinburgh show. I could only make out half of the beginning.

Saw him at the Aberdeen P&J last night, and had the same issue. Could barely make out what he was saying in the first song.

Mostly echo what others have said. Really enjoyed it, plenty of laughs.

Slightly disappointed in the second half. Felt it needed a short encore with Alan on his own with a few gags maybe, the song then immediately ending felt a bit abrupt.

Spoiler alert
We built this city on North Sea oil
We built this city on North Sea gas
We built this city on fossil fuels
[close]

Beagle 2

I had a good night but if I'm honest the show itself I thought was quite poor. No thread running through it, technical gimmicks that left me cold, second half was actively boring. It definitely had its moments but I'm struggling to remember any of them today.

SweetPomPom

Very rough in London tonight, he looked dependent on the autocue for long passages and the sound was shite, bouncing off the back wall so there was a very delayed echo for the whole show.
Quite a few disappeared at the interval.
Had moments, the musical medley at the end was the best bit but he really needs someone to bounce off.

Mr_Simnock

Watched the show in Leeds on Sat night and thoroughly enjoyed it, no technical issues to speak of, whole audience in such a good mood, plenty of big laughs from the crowd.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: SweetPomPom on May 31, 2022, 10:51:04 PMVery rough in London tonight, he looked dependent on the autocue for long passages and the sound was shite, bouncing off the back wall so there was a very delayed echo for the whole show.
Quite a few disappeared at the interval.
Had moments, the musical medley at the end was the best bit but he really needs someone to bounce off.

I was there tonight and thought it was fantastic. I was sat fairly close to the stage and was mere feet away from The Gibbons, Felicity Montague and Greg James!

Show itself was great. Really enjoyed myself