Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Here We Go

Started by Utter Shit, May 01, 2022, 04:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Anyone see this on Friday? It was in the 8.30 slot so I was expecting something broad and, essentially, rubbish. I actually really enjoyed it - fairly standard dysfunctional family setup but it had a bit of weirdness running through it and had plenty of good lines and performances from a pretty big name cast including Katherine Parkinson, Alison Steadman, Jim Howick and Tom Basden among others. I've just checked Wikipedia and apparently it follows on from a one-off programme called Pandemonium back in 2020.

Anyway, it has a real energy to it, I'd recommend giving it a go. It's not reinventing the wheel or anything, more just putting out a new version of the wheel after a few years of wondering why most wheels are so shit nowadays.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0byxbkn/here-we-go

boinks

Yeah I've just watched the second episode and I'm enjoying it too, I generally like anything Basden-based to be fair - enjoyed hearing one of the characters refer to something as being 'faeces' as Basden and Key always do. Like you said, great cast all round! Was nice to see Katy Wix in ep two, too.

ETA: Mark Williams has turned up now, lovely!

Pink Gregory

Really liking this- it's just the right side of silly, loads of little details and movements rather than being to wacky or overly physical.

The Lurker

Watched a few episodes. It's not bad, not huge on laughs though. The episode with Tim Key was good. Good cast too.

Similar to op, I initially disregarded this based on the trailer and timeslot, looked like your standard 'Outnumbered' type family comedy. Didn't realise it was created and written by Tom Basden so got through it last night.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Is still a very trad sitcom but done in quite an interesting way. The episodes are filmed in a self made documentary style (similar to 'The Comeback' or 'Zach Stone is going to be famous'). They also mix up the structure of the episodes (....3 weeks earlier etc) which I don't usually like, but they do this quite effectively, often to reveal extra jokes.

Great main cast and some excellent guests (Tim Key and Mark Williams especially).

Would say the writing has similar vibes to 'Mum' (written by Basdens 'Cowards' sketch buddy Stefan Golacewski) in that it's consistently funny without ever being gut-busting but has a lot of heart that elevates it over other bbc1 family sitcoms.

Would recommend, give it a go!