Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hip Hop you've been listening to

Started by Joe Qunt, May 05, 2022, 03:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Still in my top 10 of all time.  Truly blessed growing up on this stuff.

bushwick

You're not wrong Trenter. It was exciting times. Liquid Swords is such a solid album, filmic and exciting as fuck, maybe the most consistent of the first run of Wu solo albums (Tical was so disappointing). I think I prefer ODB's first out of all of em if I had to choose but I've probably listened to Liquid Swords the most. Was a big album when I was at uni, up there with Logical Progression and Leftism for the amount it got rinsed.

TrenterPercenter

@bushwick sure you've already heard it but just incase

Fan-made but something that sounds 100% like it should be in the cannon.  I always wished DOOM and RZA would recreate it proper but sadly it wasn't to be.

TrenterPercenter

Sorry had a few rums (but it is very good)

TrenterPercenter

Utter Shit

Joey Badass is one of the few modern rappers I really get on with, probably because he usually sticks yo boom bap (or he did last time I checked, it's been a while). Always though Steez blew him away on that track, a huge talent who died before he really made a name for himself. His flow at the start of the verse is just so good.

suelgi

Two albums I've really enjoyed lately are Preservation's Hong Kong/China inspired "Eastern Medicine, Western Illness" & MOOR Mother & billy woods "BRASS", really spooky & intense.

Joe Qunt

Jay Dee AKA J Dilla – Welcome 2 Detroit. Underrated album.

Common – Like Water For Chocolate. Just goddamn funky and uplifting, like all of Common's work.

Future – I NEVER LIKED YOU. Pluto doing what he does best; bangers.

boki

Quote from: WhoMe on May 23, 2022, 02:25:02 PMAbsolutely great.

They Hate Change - Finally, New

Stumbled upon this pair as a 'related artist' when I was listening to Moor Mother the other day and I'm loving their stuff.

kngen

Seeing as Griselda has been mentioned:

Benny the Butcher's finest two minutes (why so short, Benny?!?)

Conway the Machine gets Ludacris to drop his best bars in nigh on 20 years.

The whole fam (doing nothing to dissuade me from my first impression of the Griselda crew, that their stuff sounds like RZA did an outreach programme for young offenders)

iamcoop

Quote from: kngen on July 11, 2022, 02:56:56 PMSeeing as Griselda has been mentioned:

Benny the Butcher's finest two minutes (why so short, Benny?!?)

Conway the Machine gets Ludacris to drop his best bars in nigh on 20 years.

The whole fam (doing nothing to dissuade me from my first impression of the Griselda crew, that their stuff sounds like RZA did an outreach programme for young offenders)

On paper the Griselda crew's stuff should be right up my street (East Coast, gritty, lyrical, banging beats) but I just haven't been able to get into them at all. I've tried loads.

What would you say is the must have album from that whole collective/scene? I'd like to give it one more go as I'm hoping it will eventually click...

kngen

The one that grabbed me initially was Pyrex Picasso by Benny the Butcher, which kicks off with Flood the Block (so if you're not into that, then you might not dig the rest of it either). Conway the Machine's La Maquina and Westside Gunn's Hitler Wears Hermes (!) are the stuff I listen to the most of the others. Might be worth persevering though as they have a ton of mixtapes out, with a shitload of different producers, so the tracks vary wildly in terms of style. Even their albums seem to be a snapshot of what they sounded like that week rather than a grand statement of their musical philosophy.

I'll concede there is a ridiculous amount of hype around them though. My mate in Toronto paid his mortgage for three or four months selling off all his Griselda vinyl that he picked up first time around. (Helps when you know the guy that runs the record shop that they sell their stuff through, I suppose.)

TrenterPercenter

Joe Qunt

Oddisee is playing in Manchester soon, might go along to that.

bushwick

Can't stop listening to this Crunchy Black classic. Such a sick three six beat and Crunchy is off his trolley, I love the guy, makes pure ignorant bangers with a very simple and direct approach. Fuckin good at gangster walking too, looks like he's juking or doing that jumpstyle dance almost:

Sebastian Cobb

Liking Leikeli47's Shape Up. Think it's self released but is on streaming services.
Article here: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/leikeli47-shape-up/

Proactive

Thought this might be appreciated here. Two hour tribute to our very own No Sleep

https://youtu.be/INXfFmuVIcc

The Mollusk

Really digging the new Boldy James album produced by up and coming talent Real Bad Man. Moody gangsta rap set to simplistic but very effective, thick and surly beats. The album as a whole carries a very cohesive atmosphere so the whole thing is a really satisfying listen. When the bass kicked in on the chorus of opening track "Water Under the Bridge" I was instantly hooked in.

bgmnts

Listening to a bit of Wu Tang lately. Can't beat it.

Tried to listen to modern hip hop but it was like pure unfiltered aids in my ear canal.

The Mollusk

Quote from: bgmnts on August 14, 2022, 12:33:57 PMTried to listen to modern hip hop but it was like pure unfiltered aids in my ear canal.

There are lots of different kinds, perhaps you're not listening to the right ones?

Joe Qunt

Quote from: bgmnts on August 14, 2022, 12:33:57 PMit was like pure unfiltered aids in my ear canal.

Craig Mack considers rewrite.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 14, 2022, 01:10:16 PMThere are lots of different kinds, perhaps you're not listening to the right ones?

Possibly. Last hip hop music I truly liked was Tyler The Creator's Bastard album. Think that was 2010 or so.

The Mollusk

Quote from: bgmnts on August 14, 2022, 01:15:05 PMPossibly. Last hip hop music I truly liked was Tyler The Creator's Bastard album. Think that was 2010 or so.

If you like the hardcore/abstract end of things on that album have you ever heard Danny Brown (album: XXX) or Lil Ugly Mane (album: Mista Thug Isolation)?

bgmnts

I've heard of gucci mane but not ugly mane. I may check them out if they're any good. There are just very very few modern musicians that make a legible pleasant sound to me, hip hop included. Which is strange because my taste is quite eclectic. Perhaps music is a young man's game.

Reckon if I was 22 I'd be lapping up lil bow wow and glock9 dubby or whatever.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 14, 2022, 02:02:02 PMIf you like the hardcore/abstract end of things on that album have you ever heard Danny Brown (album: XXX) or Lil Ugly Mane (album: Mista Thug Isolation)?

atrocity exhibition is the danny brown album of choice for me, clive