Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:43:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Words and phrases that only newspaper headlines use

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, May 16, 2022, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 16, 2022, 11:57:40 PMHaven't seen 'confirmed Batchelor' for a good few years.
Sub-editors have improved since then.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on May 17, 2022, 12:44:15 AMRihanna is the 'Umbrella hitmaker'.

In the Daily Mirror she's always 'Bajan singer' and I have to look up what it means every. fucking. time.

Before the millennium when I used to buy music papers Melody Maker, NME and Sounds (and I don't remember if all 3 of them were guilty of what I'm about to mention or if one of them did it more than the others)... I used to get annoyed that the headlines were always a pun on a band name or song title, or sometimes not even a pun but just a band name or song title, unchanged.  But here's the thing... usually it wasn't a band name or song title related to the band the article was about, but some other band.  Whoever came up with the idea first probably thought they were being clever, and maybe they were, but it was so overused it used to drive me up the wall.

Twonty Gostelow

De Do Do Do De Da Da Da hitmaker Sting.

Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm hitmaker Crash.

Ne Ne Na Na Na Na Nu Nu hitmaker Bloodvessel.

Brundle-Fly

'a gentle giant'.

Probably dead then.

What? As apposed to the usual 'an aggressive giant'?

Jockice

Harry Potter star Robbie Coltrane. Because of course he'd done nothing before then.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Maybe it's a Scottish newspaper thing, but footballers and managers only ever seem to "insist" things.

idunnosomename

BUXOM BOUNCING BORIS BUMS BABIES BOOSTED BY BARBITURATES

Blue Jam

On the subject of boy bands, "tubby ex-boybander" is another one. Always seems unnecessarily mean.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 16, 2022, 05:00:15 PMHello :)

"lifting the title" is one I hear/read a lot in association with snooker. At first it was only Dennis Taylor saying it when he obviously meant "lifting the trophy", but now everyone seems to be using it.

The correct phrase, of course, is "winning the snooker crown".

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 16, 2022, 06:02:52 PMVILE is a word that is synonymous only with sex criminals. You rarely, if ever read it on a tabloid front page to describe a murderous armed robber or a world leader who has fucked over millions of people.

Surely these days it's "internet trolls" that are the most common vile thing?

Bigfella

They love a good SNUB.  Especially a ROYAL SNUB.  Scottish sports writers cycle through synonyms in strict order - if the headline concerns TICKETS for a match, the opening paragraph calls them BRIEFS.  They don't like repeating team names in match reports, Celtic will needlessly become 'Ange's boys', 'the Parkhead outfit', 'the Hoops' etc.

Jittlebags

There's quite often a Job's Blow headline in the Daily Post.

Jittlebags

The Daily Mail used to trot out the All Grown Up line for various starlets that had recently passed the 18 mark.

Video Game Fan 2000

"that moment when"/"the moment when" seemed like it was very briefly an hipster thing for half a summer then suddenly 95% of Mail headlines for ten years after

Norton Canes

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 16, 2022, 10:59:46 PMDO-GOODERS PLEAD FOR TOT-KILLERS RIGHTS AS JAILBIRDS BOAST OF HOT-POT PLOT

Depeche Mode's 'New Dress' has let itself go

greencalx

Quote from: Bigfella on May 17, 2022, 02:17:13 PMThey love a good SNUB.  Especially a ROYAL SNUB.  Scottish sports writers cycle through synonyms in strict order - if the headline concerns TICKETS for a match, the opening paragraph calls them BRIEFS.  They don't like repeating team names in match reports, Celtic will needlessly become 'Ange's boys', 'the Parkhead outfit', 'the Hoops' etc.

On which note, does anyone call Rangers just "gers" or is that also a tabloid thing?

canadagoose

Quote from: greencalx on May 17, 2022, 05:07:06 PMOn which note, does anyone call Rangers just "gers" or is that also a tabloid thing?
It's not just a tabloid thing - though it's usually Rangers fans themselves that call themselves that.

Jasha

Hotbed, of anything but usually sex.

Wows, usually the crowd and usually with a dress or magic trick.

Hard earned, onlookers and disgruntled too.

beanheadmcginty

Cold Meat Platter

Mrgeebus

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 17, 2022, 01:00:55 PMSurely these days it's "internet trolls" that are the most common vile thing?

I think they're on a par with "sex acts, too obscene to be printed in a family newspaper" - usually either blowjobs or any form of intercourse which does not involve some form of Congress between a man and a woman.

Warchest - football transfer budget

Mrgeebus

Using the suffix -gate for any scandal.

For example, Pizzagate, Celebgate, Camillagate, Beergate, Partygate etc.

Water was not the item at the centre of the Watergate scandal, a scandal which journalists should know better than laypeople such as I, given it is potentially the biggest moment in investigative journalistic history. You and I both know that it was called the Watergate Scandal because it happened in the Watergate hotel.

Why, since that fateful day, have journalists insisted on using said suffix for every scandal?

shoulders

The buboe-mollusc race that picks up the traces of our ruined civilisation will be all 'fuck were that about mate'.

greencalx

For someone more familiar with Watergate Bay in Cornwall, the whole Watergate business was very confusing.

idunnosomename

Because british journalists are absolute bottom-feeding scum with completely static brains that do nothing except churn snide bile up to constantly keep their readership of decrepit boomers and love my famly footballer wankers afraid of any change to our conservative little fallen empire shithole island full of shit cum and hairy fucking balls

Rizla

Quote from: Mrgeebus on May 18, 2022, 07:16:13 AMUsing the suffix -gate for any scandal.

Water was not the item at the centre of the Watergate scandal, a scandal which journalists should know better than laypeople such as I, given it is potentially the biggest moment in investigative journalistic history. You and I both know that it was called the Watergate Scandal because it happened in the Watergate hotel.

Why, since that fateful day, have journalists insisted on using said suffix for every scandal?
Similarly, there's no such thing as workahol, or chocahol either (more's the pity, tee hee!).

I learned only the other day that seemingly Iran/Contra was the first thing to get the -gate suffix in the media.

Kankurette

Quote from: Mrgeebus on May 18, 2022, 07:16:13 AMUsing the suffix -gate for any scandal.

They must have loved it when a player whose name ends in 'gate' screwed up England's chances of getting into the Euro '96 final.

canadagoose

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 18, 2022, 11:49:33 AMBecause british journalists are absolute bottom-feeding scum with completely static brains that do nothing except churn snide bile up to constantly keep their readership of decrepit boomers and love my famly footballer wankers afraid of any change to our conservative little fallen empire shithole island full of shit cum and hairy fucking balls
Yes!