Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:39:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The big CaB Doctor Who (2005) rewatch thread - starts May 30, 2022

Started by Mister Six, May 24, 2022, 03:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: The Guppy on May 31, 2022, 06:02:20 PMI remember Jackie going apeshit about the coffee table, but that didn't happen. Did I imagine that, or is it in a later episode?

I'm guessing that's in one of the Slitheen episodes.

I love the opening montage, music and all. Tells you so much, not just about Rose but also the supporting cast and the show itself (literally the first things we see are space and time). It's way too much towards the end though.

Not looking forward to the ethereal choral shite that's going to crop up at some point (The Christmas Invasion?) though.

JamesTC

Quote from: Alberon on May 30, 2022, 08:51:43 AMWe follow Rose through a boring day at work and at the end of her shift ends up in the basement. Billie Piper really sells this well and the auton reveal leading up to the Doctor's introduction is great. Then you get the running away from monsters that can barely shamble and you know you're watching Doctor Who.

It is probably plainly obvious but it just strikes me reading this that much of New Who squeezes a classic four part story into 45 minutes by effectively opening with the cliffhanger that would previously have been at the end of Episode 1.

Alberon

That's true. How many classic stories called 'Something of the Daleks' ended the first episode with the appearance of a Dalek?

I do get the feeling with some episodes of new Who that sometimes it ends up going too fast and the story ends up being garbled. But I don't think that's the case in this first series.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Mister Six on May 30, 2022, 09:07:09 PMDavies talks in The Writer's Tale about how much he likes to make characters selfish. I wonder if that's why Rose/Ten was such an annoying combination - they're both self-obsessed characters and so come across as unbearably smug in union, whereas pairing either of them up with Nine/Martha/Donna provided a bit of contrast.

Same with Ritchie in It's a Sin. Not just the denial about AIDS, but the revelations later on that he still had unprotected sex when HIV-positive. A shit, basically, but you feel for him. In the same was as he can turn in an instant from broad comedy to grave drama - that's how life is.

daf

Tabloid Titbits :

Daily Mirror (26 February 2005)   |  Daily Star (10 March 2005)

- - - - - - - - - - -

New! (21 March 2005)  |  Daily Star (24 March 2005)

daf

Leaks & Previews :

The Guardian (8 March 2005)  |  Daily Mail (9 March 2005)

- - - - - - - - - - -

The Guardian (21 March 2005)  |  The Times (21 March 2005)

- - - - - - - - - - -

The Stage (24 March 2005)  |  The Guardian (24 March 2005)

Alberon

Thomas

Quote from: The Guppy on May 31, 2022, 06:02:20 PMAnd that's what stuck with me the most - how the music was a bit fucking much, mate

By series 2, I think, they kindly give Murray Gold an orchestra and let him throw away the Fisher Price keyboard.

Lots of people are understandably turned off by his bombast, but I love Murray's work. There are some beautifully subtle moments, as in The Impossible Planet and the Blink suite, and I adore the now-classics like Vale and The Shepherd's Boy, as well as the memorable themes for Gallifrey and each successive Doctor. I often return to the track The Wedding of River Song, which plays, perfectly suited, during Tom Baker's scene in the 50th.

Some prefer Segun Akinola, but some of his incidental stuff sounds like the background music for a tense quiz show, Weakest Link or Millionaire.

JamesTC

Quote from: Alberon on June 01, 2022, 10:01:14 AMCaitlin Moran clearly not having a clue there.

She says feminism wasn't a thing when Classic Doctor Who aired. I'm not reading this in an unfair way, she literally describes it as a time before feminism.

daf

Yes, bit of a lazy comedy opinion that.

Aside from the obvious example of Sarah Jane Smith's investigative journalist in 1973 - created specifically by Barry Letts as a response to feminism - both university brainbox Liz Shaw from 1970, and computer prodigy Zoë Heriot from 1968 could be seen as pretty positive role-models for women.

Endicott

QuoteThe Doctors assistant has merely to represent how stupid humans are. In a time before feminism, but more pertinently, before decent special effects, the stupidity of the human assistant was key to the show.

Nothing wrong with your reading, JTC, she's forgotten Germaine Greer exists. Also she's confusing ignorance with stupidity.

BritishHobo

There is a real quaintness to many of those articles. I know the media landscape is still a shit nightmare now, but in a different way. The sneeriness towards Billie Piper, as identified by Moran in pure have-your-cake-and-eat-it fashion is so grim. Maybe it's because I was frequenting Digital Spy at the time, but that period is so linked in my mind with a dull tabloid obsession with monstering celebrities over the most banal things.

I always like the kind of ossified way things are talked about, as well. The reporting that the Daleks will have "a new catchphrase" in 'Elevate!', and the attempted hand-wringing about campness in the dialogue. One-off lines being held up as if they're the be-all and end-all.

BritishHobo

They do read like they're all written by people who never watched Doctor Who and are just recycling hacky observations they've read elsewhere. 'The women were always sexy but stupid, and the daleks couldn't get upstairs - and you'd always hide behind the sofa!'

Mister Six

God bless Sylv's perpetual enthusiasm, though I did find his suggestion that the base under the Millennium Wheel felt studio-bound when it's very obviously a massive disused factory somewhere (and sure enough...).

The Giggling Bean

I started watching Dr Who as a kid when Peter Davison took over. My fandom was cemented with Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. I'd bought the videos, Games etc and was ecstatic when it was announced that the show was coming back. Having been used to the eccentric and Edwardian outfits I was underwhelmed by the reveal of Ecclestons costume. However the closer it got the more excited I was.

I remember something going wrong when I began to record it. I missed the opening title sequence and didn't get to see it until the BBC 3 repeat.

At the time I absolutely loved it. I thought Eccleston and Piper were fantastic. I was delighted to see the Autons come back and felt safe that the show was in good hands. I don't think that the burping bin bothered me that much at the time.

In present day some of the effects haven't held up that well. The Nestene consciousness and the bin trap look quaint as CGI has moved on. I also think it was a mistake to kill Clive off, I'd have liked to see him as a returning character.

However it was certainly good enough that people started talking to me about the program. It wasn't just this cheesy old creaky show from the past, RTD had made a general audience see what I (and thousands of others) had always seen in it.

I don't know how to paste pictures but this certainly earns an 8 out of 10

Mister Six

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on June 01, 2022, 04:29:02 PMIn present day some of the effects haven't held up that well. The Nestene consciousness and the bin trap look quaint as CGI has moved on.

Oof, yeah, especially the pixelated edges of the bin...!

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on June 01, 2022, 04:29:02 PMI don't know how to paste pictures but this certainly earns an 8 out of 10

You can quote the original post, then just copy/paste the relevant little bit of code - in the case of the 8/10 score, it's

[img height=50]https://i.imgur.com/rAYhW6J.png[/img]

daf

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on June 01, 2022, 04:29:02 PMI also think it was a mistake to kill Clive off, I'd have liked to see him as a returning character.

If you fancy some more, there's the inevitable Big Finish spinoff - featuring a parallel universe Clive in a couple of Rose Tyler box sets  -

Quote1.1 The Endless Night by Jonathan Morris
As his parallel universe darkens, Pete Tyler has found a chance of survival. Punch a hole through dimensions and someone can jump through - and maybe find a way to the Doctor's universe.

On her very first trip, Rose visits an Earth that's about to get colder. As a long night begins, Rose meets different versions of her parents. And one man who could help her search. His name is Clive...
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/rose-tyler-the-dimension-cannon-1-1989
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/rose-tyler-the-dimension-cannon-2-other-worlds-2637

GoblinAhFuckScary

Rose is remarkably naff but so full of charm. Can't help but gush

Mister Six

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Mister Six on 02/06/2022, 00:34:41The character or the episode? Or both?

episode! i don't really think rose herself is naff, especially considering the last who i watched featured fucking yaz

daf

The Two Arm Mystery

So, what's happening with the two Auton arms then?

Quote. . . they both run to a lift whilst being pursued by the mannequins. Before the doors can close, one of the Autons reaches for them, but the man quickly pulls its arm off before it can do them any harm.

OK - they are now in possession of one Auton arm, carry on . . .

QuoteHe offers a quick introduction — he is the Doctor — and tells her to run for her life. Rose heeds his advice, and runs from the vicinity, carrying the plastic arm with her.

The arm is now with Rose - check!

QuoteShe returns home, and her boyfriend Mickey Smith comes in to check she's okay. He eventually leaves to watch football, and is asked to take the arm with him. He throws the plastic piece into one of the bins outside.

The Auton arm is now in one of the bins outside. Arm now in Bin - Got it

QuoteThe next morning, Rose awakens, before realising that she no longer has a job to go to. Walking around the house, she suddenly hears a scratching noise from the cat flap. She assumes her mother hasn't screwed it shut, and that it's a stray cat. She opens it up to find the Doctor; he tells her he's been tracing a signal from the plastic arm.

The plastic arm that's in the bin outside, or another . . . second . . . plastic arm (in the Flat)?

QuoteRose invites him in. While Rose is making the coffee, he explores the room, and looks in the mirror and is stunned by the size of his ears, implying he has recently regenerated. He peers behind the sofa and is attacked by the arm.

OK - here we go! Where has this arm come from? We saw Mickey throw one arm in the bin!

So is it . . .

b) A second arm?
a) A continuity error?
c) The original bin arm which, offscreen, has crawled out of the bin, up the stairs and back to the flat through Rose's cat-flap at some point - either during the night, or when Rose hears the cat-flap scratching sound shortly before the Doctor arrives.

If c) What's the arm's motivation?
Is it hoping for a second chance to get the Doctor? But why hide behind the sofa in Roses' flat? If the Doctor was going to track it down anyway (cat-flap traces) - it could have just waited for him in the in the bin and got it's pound of Ecclethroat that way!

I'm probably overthinking all this!

Alberon

I think you here a tap-tap-tap as the cat flap goes which is supposed to be the arm dragging itself along by the fingers though you never see it doing it.

So I think it's the same arm, hiding back in Rose's flat on the off-chance the Doctor comes back.

Why he's suddenly tracking an arm he discarded isn't really explained.

daf

Quote from: Alberon on June 02, 2022, 09:46:50 AMI think you here a tap-tap-tap as the cat flap goes which is supposed to be the arm dragging itself along by the fingers though you never see it doing it.

Aha - So after the Doctor has gone into the flat - that's the bit I must have missed.

OK I get it now - cheers!

daf

Thomas

I vaguely recall leafing through that very issue at my grandparents' house.

Old Nehamkin

Was that the one where the cover of the magazine was the front of the tardis and you could sort of open up the flaps to see christopher ecclestone and billie piper inside. Are these real memories.

Thomas

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 02, 2022, 10:30:10 AMWas that the one where the cover of the magazine was the front of the tardis and you could sort of open up the flaps to see christopher ecclestone and billie piper inside. Are these real memories.

It was a real memory. You... are the Timeless Child.

daf

Rose Reviews :

Radio Times (26 May 2005)  |  TV Times (26 May 2005)  |    TV and Satellite Week (26 May 2005)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Whats on TV (26 May 2005)  | TV Quick (26 May 2005)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Daily Express (26 May 2005)  |  Daily Telegraph (26 May 2005)

Old Nehamkin

Thomas

Doctor Who had some classic print presence back then. There was similar boost for series 5 in 2010; I recall staring in disbelief at Karen Gillan's face in a Radio Times.

I got this book in 2005, published midway through series 1: