Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars presents: The Middle-Aged Obi-Wan Kenobi Chronicles

Started by Bad Ambassador, May 26, 2022, 02:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

I watched the second one now and they are fine.
Renton grabbing the girl was a bit too easy even considering that

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Malcy on May 27, 2022, 09:39:25 PMTalking of that. That little brand thing they did for previous series is here too. It's so unnecessary and even Trek is doing it now.

I like the helmet wipe. Noticed one of the rolling toaster droids on the last one, dunno if that was new/eggy or the thing is always the same.

I'm going to start to hate it if I am supposed to punch the air when D15C0 57U helmet shows up.

Custard

I've watched both now, and it's alright. Certainly a step up from the prequels, but then so is a dogshit themed BBQ

It's quite laid-back too, it's hardly piling on the action, which surprises me a bit.

A third of the way through and no Vader is also welcome. Hopefully he only turns up in the last one or two and the rest is Obi MacGregor getting his mojo back

It's one of the better Star Wars things I've seen or read recently. Three bags of popcorn, and a mini lightsaber to maybe clean out earwax with

Pranet

I've not seen any of the animated series, but now when someone from them turns up in the live action shows, I find I can often tell. Something about how they look. On this, those guys, as soon as I saw them. They look like something originally drawn if that makes any sense.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Dex Sawash

prelektric

Quote from: bakabaka on May 28, 2022, 10:52:21 AMI've only watched the first epiode,

Spoiler alert
Quotebut there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why she thinks that O.B.Wanker will come to save a random young princess from a planet that he has no connection to. It looks like she knows who Leia is

It's right there in the episode, she'd made a connection between Kenobi and Bail Organa in the archives, she has no idea of Leia's real identity, but she used the relationship between him and Bail to attempt to get Obi-Wan into the open.

[close]

"Hahaha! I love running around by myself, despite my folks telling me not to.

Oh no! Running around by myself has led me to be kidnapped.

Hooray, I've been rescued! Now to run around, despite my rescuer telling me not to."

Respect your elders, you little bastard!

mjwilson

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 29, 2022, 06:53:52 PM"Hahaha! I love running around by myself, despite my folks telling me not to.

Oh no! Running around by myself has led me to be kidnapped.

Hooray, I've been rescued! Now to run around, despite my rescuer telling me not to."

Respect your elders, you little bastard!

But then how would we know that she was sassy?

bakabaka

Quote from: prelektric on May 29, 2022, 05:03:14 PM
Spoiler alert

It's right there in the episode, she'd made a connection between Kenobi and Bail Organa in the archives, she has no idea of Leia's real identity, but she used the relationship between him and Bail to attempt to get Obi-Wan into the open.

[close]

Thank you. I've watched too many of these things now to actually listen to any of the exposition. I tend to zone out as they usually create more plot holes rather than getting rid of them.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on May 27, 2022, 09:39:25 PMThat little brand thing they did for previous series is here too. It's so unnecessary and even Trek is doing it now.

Right! I noticed that on Strange New Worlds. Managerial, corporate crap. See also "Star Trek Universe." Fuck off.

This Obi Wanky Nobby show is okay. Too many kids and too many silly half-melon hats. Dialogue feels a bit flat and dull to me. But it's not bad. Feels legitimately Warsy and I did enjoy it.

I think I fancy Breha Organa.

As bad as the prequels were, I like that they aren't turning their backs on them, that they're still deep canon. That's the right thing to do.

Not sure about Obi Wan looking out for Young Luke, having an arrangement with Uncle Owen that he will be trained. It's not inherently bad but I prefer the idea that Luke went to Obi Wan of his own volition, resourcefully seeking out an old Jedi off his own bat.

Mobbd

Quote from: Custard on May 29, 2022, 02:33:57 PMIt's quite laid-back too, it's hardly piling on the action, which surprises me a bit.

True. Definitely a good thing.

bakabaka

Just watched the second episode, wonderfully Doctor Whoish. And it's good to see the baddie is keeping up with her training, so if the whole sith thing goes tits-up she'll be able to go back to Cirque de Soleil.

Lord Mandrake

Right!
Spoiler alert
shame he got strung up so soon.
[close]
Looks like he's bagged role in Oppenheimer too (mind you who hasn't). An intriguing screen presence. I honestly thought he was a developmentally challenged actor when I first watched Good Times.

Dr Rock

If you rejigged the story a bit, couldn't everything this Sith woman is doing have been done by Darth Vader? Just have him doing it. Fair enough if you've come up with a better character, but that's not the case.

This is watchable, I'll stick with it. But for example the scene with Nazi hunting hidden Jews parallel in the cantina/bar was sorely without menace. If the Jedis can't help helping people, does that mean nobody else ever helps people? In that case, fuck em.

Sherman Krank

"We're looking for the Jedi Obi Wan Kenobi, have you seen him?"

"No Obi Wan but there's a Ben Kenobi working at the weird outdoor meat cubing factory."

"Ben you say? Oh well, our search goes on."

bgmnts

All I want from this show is a Greedo cameo (please give me Greedo please please please) and a shot of Luke bullseyeing womp rats on his T16 in Beggar's Canyon with Biggs).

That's ALL I want.

Jedi is it? Can't outrun a 10 year old girl over rooftops is it?

Virgo76

Second episode seemed annoyingly dark to me. Could hardly see a lot of it.
Nobody else seems to be going on about this though so am guessing it's just my TV being shit.

Not just you. I had to turn up the brightness on the telly to see what was happening. Now all the other programmes are too bright.

Obi Wan and Darth Vader can't come into contact with each other in this, or they'll ruin that "The circle is complete. When we last met I was the apprentice..." speech from the 1977 film.

Dr Rock

'When I left you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master'

Maybe Vader still considers himself a learner at this point.

willbo

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 30, 2022, 08:06:44 PM'When I left you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master'

Maybe Vader still considers himself a learner at this point.

hm. Maybe it's a reference to the fact that he had decided to overthrow the Emperor by new hope? Like he considered himself there

Or he hasn't got his driving licence yet.

I feel like they've already bollocksed up the continuity by having OB1 meet Leia.

"General Kenobi. Years ago, you served my father in The Clone Wars - and you also risked your life rescuing me from a kidnap ordeal, but who remembers that sort of thing?..."

stonkers

On the other hand it does explain why Leia knows he's called Ben in Ep IV.

bgmnts

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 30, 2022, 09:14:16 PMOr he hasn't got his driving licence yet.

I feel like they've already bollocksed up the continuity by having OB1 meet Leia.

"General Kenobi. Years ago, you served my father in The Clone Wars - and you also risked your life rescuing me from a kidnap ordeal, but who remembers that sort of thing?..."

There are so many continuity fuck ups like this it feels like it could be a whole industry.

Why doesn't Obi Wan remember R2D2 in New Hope?

idunnosomename

Quote from: stonkers on May 30, 2022, 09:24:20 PMOn the other hand it does explain why Leia knows he's called Ben in Ep IV.
see how ecstatic she is when luke tells her she's here with Ben Kenobi in the Death Star prison. it makes sense for her to know him personally and use the R2 message as a very official address. does seem like the sort of thing a EU novel or comic in the 90s would've done if immediately before the first film wasn't largely verboten by Lucasfilm

Dex Sawash

Quote from: bgmnts on May 30, 2022, 09:56:40 PMThere are so many continuity fuck ups like this it feels like it could be a whole industry.

Why doesn't Obi Wan remember R2D2 in New Hope?

I can't recall all my old droids and I'm only 56. That or he was just trying not to gush.

Dr Rock

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 30, 2022, 10:27:43 PMsee how ecstatic she is when luke tells her she's here with Ben Kenobi in the Death Star prison. it makes sense for her to know him personally and use the R2 message as a very official address.

Then I don't think they share a scene in Star Wars, and although Luke is upset about a man he's met for a few days dying, Leia doesn't seem that bothered.