Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:02:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"people are calling me bald online"

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 27, 2022, 12:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Have we done this substack yet, where a centrist man has gotten upset about being called bald online?
https://stiffupperquip.substack.com/p/reflections-on-being-called-bald?s=w

Now I agree that some of the taunts of 'bald' aimed at so-called centrists does amount to lazy bullying and isn't very nice, which is why I don't do it, but I also find it very hard to take someone seriously when they make claims like:

QuoteThe only possible action a man could take to prevent their balding is to commit suicide

Basically it amounts to 'please take me seriously on the internet, also I don't know wigs exist'. I think it might've backfired because Bastani and Owen Jones appear to be pissing themselves about it.

shoulders

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: shoulders on May 27, 2022, 12:20:10 PMBALD

I did like that the first comment on the article was just
Quotenigel11 hr ago
Slapheed.

Blumf

idunnosomename

thought this was genuinely hilarious, it reads like a parody. but it was written by a real man who was born in 1982, lmao

QuoteIt's important to remember that this is, whatever the movement's original aims, the only real legacy of Corbynism: A group of people who treated everyone on the internet like shit and an EHRC report which found the party had illegally harassed Jews. Not a single school meal was served, not a single library was opened, and not one pothole repaired by all this online cruelty. Still, I suppose that's what happens; you start off with a plan for transformational change and end up calling randoms bald on the internet.

Oh no, treated like shit on the internet! have you ever been in a job centre recently mate? it's a lot worse

madhair60

imitationleather

What name does he post on here under?

Actually, should probably leave banned posters in the past eh?

Awful scum centrist here.  I don't really mind being called bald as I have a reasonable amount of hair on my noggin.

Kankurette

Being bald isn't necessarily a bad thing. Pep Guardiola is a slaphead and I totally would. And Zinedine Zidane, Thierry Henry, Roberto Martinez, Alan Shearer...I could go on but you get the idea. Shame Right Said Fred are letting the side down.
Quote from: madhair60 on May 27, 2022, 12:51:23 PMHe's got nae hair
But he does care.

bgmnts

There was no insulting of bald people pre-Corbyn then? What a legacy.

Kankurette

Also, if he thinks Corbyn supporters are mean, wait till he hears about Tories.

robhug

is he only bald online? ie does he hairpiece it irl

Cuellar

Captain Z

Corbyn living rent-free in his head. Unlike any hair follicles.

Tony Tony Tony

It's not looking good for slapheads.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Z on May 27, 2022, 02:17:57 PMCorbyn living rent-free in his head. Unlike any hair follicles.

Crobbins pushed them out from inside.

Paul Calf

Is substack just full of snivelling, fragile white men who don't like Twitter because people are allowed to say anything they like to them without throwing money at them?

tribalfusion

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 27, 2022, 02:37:52 PMIs substack just full of snivelling, fragile white men who don't like Twitter because people are allowed to say anything they like to them without throwing money at them?

Yes.

Shaxberd

BALD vs BEARD - can we establish once and for all which androgenic hair related feature more devastatingly proves that someone on Twitter is not worth listening to?

Sherringford Hovis

Has anyone done the 2 Kings 2:23-25 bit yet?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 27, 2022, 12:50:38 PMIt's important to remember that this is, whatever the movement's original aims, the only real legacy of Corbynism: A group of people who treated everyone on the internet like shit and an EHRC report which found the party had illegally harassed Jews. Not a single school meal was served, not a single library was opened, and not one pothole repaired by all this online cruelty. Still, I suppose that's what happens; you start off with a plan for transformational change and end up calling randoms bald on the internet.

How to assess this - i.e. do I gather applause from the CAB faithful for Legend Garying a "BALD" comment to profess my edgy hive mind credentials? or do I try and give a considered answer?

Hmmm ok the latter.  Assuming all internet hatred and baldism is related to Corbynism is bizarre.  That being said it could easily come from a mind that is sensitive and upset (and unwell). There is a point in there though, I've never really been on board with this I'm angry about the world so it's fine to be vile about peoples appearances. What has been written here whilst bizarre, is no less bizarre than thinking this...

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 27, 2022, 12:50:38 PMOh no, treated like shit on the internet! have you ever been in a job centre recently mate? it's a lot worse

What the fuck has going to a job centre got to do with anything? Are we really saying "I had to go to job centre and it was shit so I get to mock other peoples appearances".  Is that extendable to other groups, would we be comfortable mocking a woman as ugly/flat chested/hairy/bald because "have they been to job centre recently" or how about calling a trans woman struggling with facial hair "bearded", because that isn't as pressing an issue as being treated poorly at a job centre.

Seems daft and ultimately a race to the bottom.  There are of course reasons why being bald is the acceptable face of discrimination but as someone working in mental health when people start making statements like "the only solution is suicide" (when we know there is a link between the emotional pain of losing ones hair and suicide) I would perhaps take a step back a minute.  It's an extreme and irrational position to take but that doesn't mean people don't go through with it (of course that is the reason people go through with it).

As someone that works in schools and of which bullying is a big thing, bullying isn't defined by just the severity of comments, bullying is a continued sustained attempt to upset someone, to belittle and mock them, it's generally an attempt to assume power over another by making them feel inferior.  That is how it works it feeds off other peoples unhappiness and unsurprisingly is generally perpetrated by unhappy people themselves, they sustain their own sense of wellbeing by destroying others (we know that actually it's bullies that are also the victim of bullying themselves that tend to have the worst outcomes in mental health terms).

shoulders

QuoteHow to assess this - i.e. do I gather applause from the CAB faithful for Legend Garying a "BALD" comment to profess my edgy hive mind credentials? or do I try and give an considered answer?

BALD

TrenterPercenter

shoulders

Precisely. Nothing getting past you is there.

As a BALD I have total impunity - and plan to use it - a lot - today!

BALD

TrenterPercenter

Are you reclaiming the word for your community? I think in this case you should email the author of the substack and invite him to your hairless parties.

Also what about the notion of a self-hating bald

shoulders

No I'm just calling you BALD out of recreational pleasure. Like you'd enjoy a Lime Calippo on a hot day.

Who wants it

Who wants it

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shoulders on May 27, 2022, 04:18:17 PMNo I'm just calling you BALD out of recreational pleasure. Like you'd enjoy a Lime Calippo on a hot day.

Who wants it

Who wants it

The Tom Bombadil of the Bald community, Tom BomBALDil.

Endicott

Quote from: Cuellar on May 27, 2022, 02:14:08 PMHow is this not TBEU

I tend to agree that this article might well be a piss take.