Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Diablo Immortal (free to play, pc and mobile)

Started by ImmaculateClump, June 02, 2022, 12:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don't know when they changed their mind, but you can preload this for pc here (27gb) - https://eu.shop.battle.net/en-gb/product/diablo-immortal

Unlocks at 6pm. Constant internet connection required, you can not play offline.
I don't know how pay to win it is or how shitty it is on pc, but it's free if you want to try it.

It looks really zoomed in, the pc version has exactly the same camera as the mobile version, and the same UI which is insane.
It says it's an open beta, so maybe they're gonna tailor the pc version more to the platform in the future. Who knows.
Everything points towards this being garbage, but I'm feeling the urge to at least try it out.

I do, but, well, this is it, I'm afraid.

Hey, this is actually pretty good fun so far!
Played for an hour or so and it's a nice little time sink. I'm enjoying it. Playing as a witch.
I fucked off the wasd movement straight away and used those keys for my skills instead. It's a good idea to set middle mouse click as move only so you can move during emergencies in boss fights, I ended up clicking on things my mouse was nowhere near, I'm assuming that's for the fat thumbed twats on mobile.
Right mouse button for frosty laser. This is surprisingly alright!
Would love to zoom the camera out, but it hasn't been a huge issue so far.

evilcommiedictator

It's like a low res no-action shit version of Diablo 3 with similar mechanics and somehow Deckard Cain is back.
Hence people who don't play actual games are saying it's great!

Mobius

I've heard it costs 100 thousand pounds to buy gear in this game.

Povidone

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on June 08, 2022, 12:29:42 AMIt's like a low res no-action shit version of Diablo 3 with similar mechanics and somehow Deckard Cain is back.
Hence people who don't play actual games are saying it's great!

Diablo 3 was just the shit version of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy anyway.

As a simplified diablo game, it's quite fun to just turn your brain off and run through.
I got bored pretty quickly, I have to say. Just didn't go back after the first couple of goes.
I've read that the endgame is doggyplops. Once you reach level 60, it's very much a "the first hits free" situation. The game just keeps nudging you to buy shit, otherwise it's really dull.

James Stephanie did a decent video shitting on blizzard the other day

It's like the diablo 3 auction house all over again, but they're getting away with it this time because it's on mobile and somehow nobody cares. That shit is allowed on there. Can't help but feel like the whole "haven't you lot got phones" shit was a long game to get this predatory whale hunt on the pc.
The thin end of the wedge? "You asked for it, we delivered."

Saw this the other day when people were complaining about the monetisation :D

Famous Mortimer

It's exploiting an addiction (gambling) and if it were done in any way other than gaming...actually, the same shit would be happening, the people in charge just claiming it's a bit of fun and you can do it without gambling (if you're prepared to spend the entirety of your life grinding).

bgmnts

Grind responsibly.

Is that "do you guys not have phones?" the biggest game conference gaffe ever? It's def up there with "mega man fan on prom night" and jamie kennedy all pissed up.

Alberon

I watched that reveal online. You could feel the audience prickle when the "Do you not have phones," line rang out. By the time it was announced that it was mobile only there was actual booing which is pretty incredible at a Blizzard convention.

Wyatt Cheng who uttered that immortal line always said you wouldn't be able to buy gear with real money, but the Legendary Gems that slot into that? You can buy those. In fact, spending real money is the only way to get a chance of getting the maximium level gems and even then it will take a lot of money. Thats where the figures of many tens of thousands of pounds needed to fully level a character came from.

I've been playing the PC version they did release and the gameplay isn't bad for a mobile game. I expect I'll stop when I finish the storyline as thats when most of the Pay-to-win shit really kicks in.

I remember the real money auction house on Diablo III. The fact that legendaries and set items were so rare reduced my enjoyment of it. Before the RMAH was shut down though I had made back the cost of the original game and expansion by selling gems.

I play a few freemium games on my mobile, but I do make it a point to not spend a penny and I certainly won't spend anything on Diablo Immoral (as it's been nicknamed).

Makes me worry what Diablo 4 is going to be like on release.

You can register for your chance to be included in the diablo iv beta here - https://diablo4.blizzard.com/en-gb/#opt-in

Coming "next year"

Alberon

2023 was long expected to be the year Diablo IV was released, but it's nice to see it sort of confirmed (nothing is ever set in stone).

After the Diablo Immortal stink they've made it clear all you can buy in the store is cosmetic stuff (which I never care about) and expansions (which I do).

The beta probably won't start until well into next year. Even if I don't get in it I'll at least be able to judge from their reports whether it's worth buying.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Alberon on June 13, 2022, 04:00:14 PMAfter the Diablo Immortal stink they've made it clear all you can buy in the store is cosmetic stuff (which I never care about) and expansions (which I do).
After that company went "never doing microtransactions, us" and then did exactly that with their next game, I trust 0% of these scumbags.

Alberon

True, I'm waiting for beta reports before deciding whether to play or not.

Yeah, it's a chance for them to redeem themselves with a full fat pc diablo, but they sold out to activision, and now microsoft, so I doubt they care about anything other than money at this stage. We'll see. I love a good ARPG, so I'm hoping it'll be smashing.

Quote from: Alberon on June 13, 2022, 04:00:14 PMThe beta probably won't start until well into next year.

Apparantly it was featured in some "within the next 12 months" on some microsoft thing, so judging by that, they might be trying to get it out by June next year.