Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greybum Muchtransanger - the continuing TERFery of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, June 03, 2022, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 29, 2022, 09:11:44 PM"The Father Ted Musical was my pension" is definitely the tagline for the next thread.

Do writers of musicals even get paid much? I would have thought the majority of the money goes to actors and the theatre, cause they are working everyday. Never mind that theatre productions famously almost never make money.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 30, 2022, 10:17:02 AMDo writers of musicals even get paid much? I would have thought the majority of the money goes to actors and the theatre, cause they are working everyday. Never mind that theatre productions famously almost never make money.

Trey Parker mentioned once that he didn't see much money from The Book of Mormon until it became internationally successful. So quite a while after its debut.

Ex_GC

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 30, 2022, 09:27:13 AMHopeful now that he's going to leave Norwich.  Door / way out / careful etc.

Unfortunately this would move the problem on to Ireland which doesn't deserve him either.

I don't think he would go there, I suspect he views himself as too much of a big fish in a small pond for Ireland

As for his career, I don't think most people would touch him with a barge pole or not, regardless of whether they agree or disagree with his views. He's far too much of a liability in so many different ways

I think it's quite interesting that he said "I shouldn't even know his name" about Aidan Comerford. The subtext of that is "I'm too famous and important to know who non blue ticks are and I should be rubbing shoulders with celebrities". I wonder does this also extend to the fact that he's doing a show with nobodies (Helen Staniland and Arty Morty) and not moving in successful media circles, the circles he thinks he belongs in

DrGreggles

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 30, 2022, 10:18:33 AMTrey Parker mentioned once that he didn't see much money from The Book of Mormon until it became internationally successful. So quite a while after its debut.

They get points from all profits, but only after it has recouped its initial investment.
Book of Mormon's production and development cost over $10 million, so it makes sense that it took a while for Stone & Parker to get paid for it.
They're coining it in now though - it has grossed over $500 million!

MojoJojo

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 30, 2022, 10:18:33 AMTrey Parker mentioned once that he didn't see much money from The Book of Mormon until it became internationally successful. So quite a while after its debut.

Which is one the most successful musicals of all time - and Trey Parker put a lot more into it than just writing it.

retsuza

I really do hope he stays the fuck away from Ireland as much as possible, that quote from him about how big Ted was here meaning he doesn't deserve to be called a bigot made me think he actually might try to muscle in on the festering hate movements here.

Just saw a cunt the other day whine about political correctness and wokeness in Ireland and they did that thing of "I support LGB people but these trans activists are going too far".

It was like seeing a dog open a fridge and steal cheese from the inside door. Not an especially impressive trick but just makes me think you little bastard you, who taught you that?

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 30, 2022, 10:17:02 AMDo writers of musicals even get paid much? I would have thought the majority of the money goes to actors and the theatre, cause they are working everyday. Never mind that theatre productions famously almost never make money.

Probably should have just swallowed his pride and taken the what, 200k that Top Hat were offering him to release the rights? Seems like it will stay in limbo now, lose all relevancy, never come out, and he gets nothing.

Ex_GC

I still find it hard to believe he would be offered that much money for a musical that no one appears to care about and I also don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth anymore

Dr Rock

jobotic

Quote from: Ex_GC on June 30, 2022, 11:04:17 AMI still find it hard to believe he would be offered that much money for a musical that no one appears to care about and I also don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth anymore

Exactly. Who would want to see this now? Even without the heavy duty bananarring.

dead-ced-dead

An Only Fools musical is understandable. It's a hugely successful sitcom that's entered public consciousness in Britain to the point of saturation. Plus you get Paul Whitehouse thrown in for free.

Pope Ted would have solely existed for 90s nostalgia and there are a lot better avenues for that.

Ex_GC

At best it might have been a mild success on a limited run in a small theatre. It certainly wouldn't be setting the world or the West End alight

I'm a bit confused by this part:

"so I can do it with Arthur Mathews and Neil Hannon, who I'm sure stand with me on these issues?"

As if he hasn't asked or hounded them on where they stand. I mean, only a few weeks ago he stated that he wants anyone working on it to sign a declaration. And how did they go from being on his shit list to "I'm sure they stand with me on these issues"? I suspect he is not as friendly with them as he likes to imply and that they are somehow "busy" when he calls

dissolute ocelot

If he just wanted to get the great songs performed, they could have a concert performance of Hannon's songs, which is common with musicals under development (especially if you're not sure on the script), and would be far less toxic than staging the complete thing. So the most likely explanation is that the other people involved no longer want anything to do with him or the project. And his behaviour is only going to make it worse.

Dr Rock

Hasn't Neil Hannon publicly said that he doesn't know enough about the issue to have an opinion?

Ayasakura

They've got self ID in Ireland don't they? Can't imagine he'd do too well there since the whole place is living proof that self ID has absolutely no impact on the moral fibre of a country, or on the rights of women.

Ex_GC

Quote from: Ayasakura on June 30, 2022, 11:32:18 AMThey've got self ID in Ireland don't they? Can't imagine he'd do too well there since the whole place is living proof that self ID has absolutely no impact on the moral fibre of a country, or on the rights of women.

Good point. Between that and BC thinking he's a big fish in a small pond it's unlikely he would move to Ireland

FalknerHinton

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hat Trick had just told him that a Father Ted musical had no hope of being commercially viable in 2022 for several reasons (corona's ongoing impact on theatre finances/it's based on a 30 year old relatively niche tv show) and his banana filled brain has just interpreted that as him being cancelled for his "views" by some people not worthy of his time.

jobotic

This is just me but I loved Father Ted and would still have no interest in seeing this, bananas aside. None of the proper cast and thirty years after the event.

And if I wasn't a fan in the first place I struggle to see why I'd have any interest in it.

Ex_GC

I'm still sniggering over "how come JK Rowling gets a West End show and I don't?" This is the start of the JK Rowling bitterness and I am here for it

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Mindy Simmons on June 30, 2022, 10:06:13 AMAny remote islands we can drop him on?

He had intended to holiday in Lesbos as he heard they were looking for a king but he saw the rainbow flag decal on the side of his EasyJet plane and lost his shit at the airport and got removed from the flight.

Quote from: jobotic on June 30, 2022, 12:05:54 PMThis is just me but I loved Father Ted and would still have no interest in seeing this, bananas aside. None of the proper cast and thirty years after the event.

And if I wasn't a fan in the first place I struggle to see why I'd have any interest in it.

Right? Also it's very rare for something to come back after a big absence and still be good also trying to continue the story often forgets what was good about it originally, see the returns of Only Fools and Horses where its set after they've gotten rich. AFAIK the Only Fools musical is set back when they were grifting

RicoMNKN

I think Father Ted is bigger than some people are giving it credit for.

I get that a critics choice list isn't the same as public interest, but it came second in a Radio Times best British sitcoms list just a few years ago:
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5260/fawlty_towers_tops_sitcom_list/

And a public poll in 2004 (admittedly quite some time ago, so would be more in the public's memory) had it at number 11.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain%27s_Best_Sitcom

That said, the idea of being able to retire on it seems daft, and presumably Hat Trick would have been open to negotiation if it was about the money rather than BC's ego.

buttgammon

Quote from: jobotic on June 30, 2022, 12:05:54 PMThis is just me but I loved Father Ted and would still have no interest in seeing this, bananas aside. None of the proper cast and thirty years after the event.

Same here, it's hardly a promising set-up even if you take Linehan out of the equation.

Quote from: Ayasakura on June 30, 2022, 11:32:18 AMThey've got self ID in Ireland don't they? Can't imagine he'd do too well there since the whole place is living proof that self ID has absolutely no impact on the moral fibre of a country, or on the rights of women.

Indeed. There are currently some rather pathetic attempts to stir up transphobia here, sadly involving the state broadcaster and its most sensationalist radio show, and there have been some violent attacks in the light of this, but it's still not the most promising territory for a transphobic grifter.

Pimhole

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 30, 2022, 09:15:21 AMGiven Neil Hannon's avowed habit of recycling unusued material, it would be amusing if any of the work he might have done on FTTM winds up in his actual upcoming musical about young Willy Wonka.

Come with me and you'll be
In a world of lower limb vibration
Take a look and you'll see
All my latest defamation

We'll begin with a spin
Through some hostile threats of my creation
What we'll see will defy
Explanation

If you want to grift pensioners
Simply coin some hate and spew it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to peak the world?
There's nothing to it

There is no life I know
To compare with bigotry causation
You'll be family-free
If you truly wish to be

If you want to call gays groomers
Simply write a blog and do it
Loot the right-wing fascist toolkit
Want to lose a wife?
There's nothing to it

There is no life I know
To compare with banana plantation
You'll be made of hot pee
If you truly wish to be

jobotic

Ex_GC

@RicoMNKN  there's no denying it was a success and it's still referenced constantly. However I don't believe that a musical would be as successful even without the banana element. It's a quarter of a century too late and the premise of the musical seems to be totally contrary to the spirit of the original with Ted as Pope. Even a writer at the top of their game would have to work damn hard to make it interesting or funny. BC can barely write a blog post, never mind a musical. So if it ever got made (again, without BC) I believe it would be mildly successful because of nostalgia reasons but no more

FalknerHinton

I think that a Father Ted musical would be a risky bet even in good times for theatres. Not super risky, but you'd probably have fairly low expectations for a perhaps limited run.

But given how badly theatres have been hit over the past couple of years, and how they're only slowly beginning to recover now with goodness knows what coming in the autumn, it feels like anyone putting on a new show would want something that's more likely to consistently pull in punters, beyond a couple of weeks of rabid GCers and nostalgics.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Taoiseach Michéal Martin said that "acceptance is key for trans people" just six days ago (ignore the length of the waiting list for transgender health care in Ireland) so we've definitely been captured

RicoMNKN

I think the only thing I'd disagree on there is "a quarter of a century too late".  It's been constantly repeated, and I do think bigger than people are giving it credit for.

You get Dad's Army and Absolutely Fabulous films, and the Only Fools and Horses musical.  I'm not sure it's that much smaller an IP.

edit: I'm talking about ability for it  to make money, rather than it being artistically valid.