Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:57:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sherwood (BBC drama set in Nottinghamshire)

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 16, 2022, 12:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Anyone else watching this? It's on episode 2 so far, I think it's quite good with well drawn characters and an interesting setting and premise.

Does anyone live in a former pit village in Nottinghamshire? Is how it is depicted in Sherwood realistic?

Des Wigwam

I grew up in one (70s / 80s) and am familiar with the wider area where the writer of this grew up. I doubt very much it was anything like the grainy stills I've seen of this. Are there are a lot of pub quizzes in it where meat or whisky is the prize?

But I really do want to watch it so will report back. Mainly looking forward to picking holes in the accents.

neveragain

I'm enjoying it and the accents, which I've never heard before. The cast are all really engaging. Despite these sorts of dramas being ten a penny, I'm eager to see how it unfurls.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 16, 2022, 12:07:57 PMAnyone else watching this? It's on episode 2 so far, I think it's quite good with well drawn characters and an interesting setting and premise.

Does anyone live in a former pit village in Nottinghamshire? Is how it is depicted in Sherwood realistic?

I'm from a former pit village in Derbyshire and its a lot less green. Never really ever seen the animosity between neighbours over the issues in this as but heard Nottinghamshire miners described as scabs since I was a kid. Less of a thing now, obviously, only really heard at football matches by kids who don't know what it means.

The accents are all over the place, from not trying at all, to generic Yorkshire, to trying too hard and not quite pulling it off. One or two seemed right, Philip Jackson had Notts pretty good I thought.

Only watched the first episode so far and thought is was ok, very easy to watch.

lauraxsynthesis

Seen the first 3 and enjoying it a lot. Lots of shocking and surprising things
Spoiler alert
like that tory getting murdered.
[close]
It's not blown me away, just a good drama with good performances etc. The directing is excellent though. I think the creator is from a scab family so a bit worried about how the politics is going to go. Certainly the cops are getting a very sympathetic portrayal. The Spycops campaign are concerned about how that particular issue will be handled.

neveragain

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on June 20, 2022, 11:47:29 PMCertainly the cops are getting a very sympathetic portrayal.

I dunno, there's been a few flashbacks of them beating up protesters. The viewpoint I'm getting from it is that some (or perhaps a lot) of these people are hanging on to the past to a dangerous degree.

Poobum

I'm from that there! Definitely captures the getting pot-shotted by arrows, can make the day quite tense!

Fambo Number Mive

There's an implication that the
Spoiler alert
Met Police have covered something up regarding the original arrest of the man who was murdered
[close]
. Only seen episodes 1 and 2 but the Notts police seem to have a more sympathetic portrayal - were they as bad as the Met during the miners' strike?

Des Wigwam

It's OK. Quite heavy handed and feels a bit stagey. Doesn't help that only Joanne Froggatt and the extras can do the accent and
Spoiler alert
she's dead.
[close]

Also find it distracting how many Faces are in it. It's like all the character actors in the UK suddenly had nothing booked.

Cant believe you haven't mentioned that Nick Klein is in it @Fambo Number Mive! Thought you would have been all over that.

Fambo Number Mive

Good point, I forgot René was the SOCO at the
Spoiler alert
railway arrow crime scene
[close]

Apparently there has been some controversy with a real life incident said to mimic one of the incidents in Sherwood. Although I am fairly sure it is just a coincidence:
Spoiler alert

Des Wigwam

Watched episodes 3+4 last night. Am quite into it now but more for the mystery than the dead good issues (as important as I think they are).

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on June 16, 2022, 05:51:04 PMI'm from a former pit village in Derbyshire and its a lot less green. Never really ever seen the animosity between neighbours over the issues in this as but heard Nottinghamshire miners described as scabs since I was a kid. Less of a thing now, obviously, only really heard at football matches by kids who don't know what it means.

The accents are all over the place, from not trying at all, to generic Yorkshire, to trying too hard and not quite pulling it off. One or two seemed right, Philip Jackson had Notts pretty good I thought.

Only watched the first episode so far and thought is was ok, very easy to watch.

I thought a few had a good go at it. Philip Jackson nails it one moment and then goes all ee-by-gum. Adeel Akhtar is good. I had a flashback to Four Lions though in episode 3 when
Spoiler alert
he ran off into across the field.
[close]
I think it's most highlighted when Perry Fitzpatrick is on screen - he seems to be on quite a lot of stuff now. I really like him.

I was only 8 when this was all happening. I remember some of the kids at school being called scabs because of their dads but bear in mind kids are arseholes. I was never aware of that much years after but I didn't hang around with many miners. Am seeing my parents later this week so going to ask them.

I had forgotten people drank pints of mixed though.

lauraxsynthesis

Episode five with all the character backgrounds was ace. So much drama. Full points for showing the infamous Special Demonstration Squad Manual which has been exposed by the Spycops Inquiry.

It's in the news today that the government might shut down the Inquiry for going on too long and costing too much - which I expect was the intention all along.

Des Wigwam

Caught up with ep5 last night. I like the way it's coming together. I thought the political side of the SDS / Spycops thing was going to be heavy handed but now I'm worried they'll back off on that in favour of a straight forward dramatic conclusion.

Good to see Tom Glenister getting work as the young version of the Met copper played by his dad. It's tough for young actors starting out.

Fambo Number Mive

Was particularly impressed by episode 5 with a
Spoiler alert
nice twist
[close]
at the end.

It's been renewed for a second series.

JesusAndYourBush

Hoping it'd be just the one series.
They're going to run it into the ground like Line Of Duty aren't they.

timebug

Watched it all and enjoyed it, for what it was. But was seriously pissed off on episode five, wnen the good ol' Beeb decided to continue showing some morose grumpy bastard hitting a ball around, and shunted the episode onto Beeb 2. No vocal warning that this had happened, but apparently a caption ran across the screen (which I missed, as I had no interest in the Wimbledon crap!)

Fambo Number Mive

Felt episode 6 was a bit
Spoiler alert
crap
[close]
really.
Spoiler alert
Scott's motivations turned out to be somewhat anti-climatic
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
St Clair's confrontation with the spycop turned out to be just "I will help you"
[close]

I suppose they had to do that for series 2. Any predictions for series 2? (Probably best to spoiler them?)

Des Wigwam

I thought eps 4 and 5 were pretty strong and good drama but it fizzled out in 6. The last 20 mins just felt like they were running down the clock even though it seemed determined to tackle wider issues. The ultimate outcome in a real world sense was fair enough for those involved but as @JesusAndYourBush says - it's setting up to be ground out a la LoD.

I was talking to my dad about a lot of this and he was still teaching in a school very close to where it all happened. The school doesn't quite back onto those woods but not far off. For something that was such a big manhunt - and it supposedly was even though it wasn't as dramatic as on the programme - he was saying no-one bothered to warn the school for staff taking kids out or just generally that they should check any men on school premises with crossbows were supposed to be there.

I did laugh at the handwritten chalk notice in the allotments that read "Pick your dog shit up" - seemed very Notts.

I was quite annoyed by the big out:
Spoiler alert
not being able to spell Keats and then looking Keats up seemingly for the first time in almost 40 years, and then autocorrect changing Tickets to Keats because that's what most people accidentally mean when sending texts. Also that seemed very clumsy - do schools do that sort of method of fundraising these days - texting how many raffle tickets you want? I haven't been in school since the early nineties so it's very possible it's all done with computers these days.
[close]

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 30, 2022, 10:19:19 AMI suppose they had to do that for series 2. Any predictions for series 2? (Probably best to spoiler them?)

Spoiler alert
There are 3 other spycops to find so that. But they're not all nice and conflicted and regretful like Keats. St Clair has been warned off by the Home Office and his superiors already to make life more difficult. Lindsay Duncan might still be looking for work so could come back as the NUM solicitor. Line of Duty but it's in a mine, basically.
[close]

Des Wigwam

Spoiler alert
Actually Line of Duty but it's in a mine would be quite good. This will just be Line of Duty but it's in terraced houses where everyone talks inconsistently.
[close]

Fambo Number Mive

Spoiler alert
I imagine at least one of the other 3 spycops would have gone to Yorkshire. Would be interesting to see St Clair go to Yorkshire given how angry he got at the idea of the Yorkshire police coming to Nottingham, almost as angry as how he feels about the Met.
[close]

It did feel a bit unbelievable that
Spoiler alert
they needed to get Met officers down to help in the search, could they not have got officers from other nearby forces?
[close]

studpuppet

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 30, 2022, 10:36:55 AMIt did feel a bit unbelievable that
Spoiler alert
they needed to get Met officers down to help in the search, could they not have got officers from other nearby forces?
[close]

The Met are world-famous for their ability to
Spoiler alert
beat things, whether it be protestors, black people, miners, or foliage and long grass.
[close]

thugler

Episode 5 and 6 it became utterly shit. The fire stuff was just confusing to me.

JesusAndYourBush

What was the thing about some buried money?  They dropped it in near the end, was there something about it in an earlier episode and I forgot the details?  Presumably that could feature in series 2 as well as the spycop stuff.

neveragain

Yes, episode 6 was very slow and it annoyed me there's a second series coming because wrapping it all up would have been much more satisfying. So that's that.

Bit of a shame because the acting and dialogue was of a high quality.

Glyn

Quote from: thugler on June 30, 2022, 06:18:00 PMEpisode 5 and 6 it became utterly shit. The fire stuff was just confusing to me.

Pretty much. Stuck with it to the end but just some of my shouting at the screen moments :

Spoiler alert
Massive Manhunt for two killers, police know they are together. They find one , he has the weapon of the other, no-one can be arsed to look for the other guy (who now has a motorbike?)

'oh yeah I've got a random mate who has got these phone numbers for you, lucky that'

We could do further background checks or even ring the phone number again but case closed ,a mobile keyboard's autocorrect has cracked it again.

[close]
The subject matter was good but the plot was bobbins.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 30, 2022, 07:05:55 PMWhat was the thing about some buried money?  They dropped it in near the end, was there something about it in an earlier episode and I forgot the details?  Presumably that could feature in series 2 as well as the spycop stuff.

Spoiler alert
It was just the cash the crossbow lad had with him. The newsreader voice-over playing as they got out the cars with their shovels said there might be tens of thousands of pounds buried in the woods. I really hope they don't hang half the next series on that.
[close]

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: timebug on June 30, 2022, 10:07:57 AMWatched it all and enjoyed it, for what it was. But was seriously pissed off on episode five, wnen the good ol' Beeb decided to continue showing some morose grumpy bastard hitting a ball around, and shunted the episode onto Beeb 2. No vocal warning that this had happened, but apparently a caption ran across the screen (which I missed, as I had no interest in the Wimbledon crap!)

I noticed that and it pissed me off too.  As the time approached 9pm I was waiting for the tennis to end, and for the announcer to say "For those wanting to continue watching the tennis, turn to BBC2 now" - because tennis was scheduled to start on BBC2 at 9pm and so that'd have been the sensible thing to do.

But I spotted that the programme scheduled from 8:30-9pm on BBC1 had already been bumped onto BBC2 so I was thinking Sherwood was probably going to be on BBC2 also, so I was basically changing channels back and forth so see who was going to show it or whether I was going to have to wait for it to appear on iplayer.

In this day and age there should be a better way of dealing with overrunning sport, stick it on the red button or schedule something sacrificial on after it like a repeat of Mrs Browns Boys or something, but don't disrupt a first airing, twats..