Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jon Snow sequel

Started by kitsofan34, June 17, 2022, 05:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitsofan34

https://deadline.com/2022/06/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-spinoff-series-sequel-hbo-1235047502/

One of seven, yep, you read that correctly, seven GOT-themed shows in development at HBO at the moment.

Poobum

It's a shame his character was so spectacularly ruined that I'll have no interest in this. Was watching the Battle of the Bastards earlier this week, because it is still a supreme piece of TV. The story of it showed what an appalling leader Jon Snow was in such clear terms. A shame by then that the writers weren't bothered by story telling by that point, so it's never acknowledged or developed.

Bad Ambassador

Mister Six

Quote from: kitsofan34 on June 17, 2022, 05:21:43 PMhttps://deadline.com/2022/06/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-spinoff-series-sequel-hbo-1235047502/

One of seven, yep, you read that correctly, seven GOT-themed shows in development at HBO at the moment.

Christ. I know they had four or five pilots in development at one point, of which the upcoming show (House of the Dragon?) was one. I thought they'd iced the others. Don't know if they're among the seven mentioned here, or whether the other six are fighting each other for a limited number of slots.

In any case, given how the final couple of seasons completely killed any enthusiasm for the series, it's extraordinary they'd bother to pump money into preproduction on loads of others before House of the Dragon (or whatever) has shown whether there's still life in the franchise. I suppose they can kill all these pretty quickly if it doesn't take off, though.

But sad that HBO, formerly the greatest station in the world, seems to be pursuing the same franchise cash cow bollocks as Disney with its endless Marvel shows, but that's the shitty world we live in, I guess.

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on June 17, 2022, 09:34:42 PMChrist. I know they had four or five pilots in development at one point, of which the upcoming show (House of the Dragon?) was one. I thought they'd iced the others. Don't know if they're among the seven mentioned here, or whether the other six are fighting each other for a limited number of slots.

In any case, given how the final couple of seasons completely killed any enthusiasm for the series, it's extraordinary they'd bother to pump money into preproduction on loads of others before House of the Dragon (or whatever) has shown whether there's still life in the franchise. I suppose they can kill all these pretty quickly if it doesn't take off, though.

I'm not sure that anyone - even George - thinks that all of these shows will get made. They know, surely, that nobody gives a shit about an animated show in Yi-Ti.

The Jon Snow news seems to be getting a pretty lukewarm reception so maybe they'll drop it too, which would probably be good for Kit Harrington's health, if not his career.

jamiefairlie

I like the guy they've cast, good lookalike

bgmnts

Is George RR Martin going to explain Jon Snow's tax policy?

Mobius

Seems a bit pointless. Didn't he end the show by wandering north? So more snow and wildlings and the same old shit, except no White Walkers. Or he goes so far north he ends up somewhere new? Still hanging around with Tormund and the lads?

Plus he's a boring bastard. We already know all of his secrets, all of his family, his big prophecy / the reason he mattered to the plot is already known. Already seen him in different relationships, seen him die...

Unless they do like a 10 year time jump and now he's just a chilled out bloke having a good time.

Povidone

Quote from: Mobius on June 19, 2022, 09:38:54 PMUnless they do like a 10 year time jump and now he's just a chilled out bloke having a good time.

Thats the only version of more GoT shit I would consider watching.

'Jonny and the Snow Bros Big Chill'

It writes itself.

Psybro

I'm up for a Westeros-based thriller set in the modern day where careworn Kingsguard Director Liam Neeson is investigating corruption in Oldtower when dragons start taking out transcontinental flights to Qarth.

purlieu

Just think, there's a whole history for this world mapped out, including ancient eras that have their own world-changing events and would be radically different to Game of Thrones itself, but instead they've decided on this.

BritishHobo

It feels like this would be tough to do without essentially becoming a full sequel series, as everything that's happening in Westeros would be pretty essential to the story. As has been said, going for a workplace comedy vibe (without the comedy) feels like the only viable option. Unless it's something like Jon helping to reestablish wildling land north of the Wall. Or north of where the wall was.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: purlieu on June 21, 2022, 12:00:53 PMJust think, there's a whole history for this world mapped out, including ancient eras that have their own world-changing events and would be radically different to Game of Thrones itself, but instead they've decided on this.

Instead? As well as surely, there's other stuff they're looking into. And they haven't "decided on this", the article literally says

QuoteThe project is still in exploratory stages, sources said.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Psybro on June 21, 2022, 09:49:41 AMI'm up for a Westeros-based thriller set in the modern day where careworn Kingsguard Director Liam Neeson is investigating corruption in Oldtower when dragons start taking out transcontinental flights to Qarth.

Bring in Gerard Butler as a secret service agent assigned to protect the (former, briefly) king, call it SNOW HAS FALLEN

Alberon

Just remake the final two seasons of GoT properly as three full length seasons.

The abysmal final run after they passed the books has properly munted any desire for more Westeros action. The upcoming prequel might revive it to a degree, but we'll see.

Povidone

That prequel is going to be a colossal flop, calling it now. Nobody gives a shit anymore, GRRM cant even be arsed.

mjwilson

Mr Trumpet

He spends the next 20 years on the Wall then dies of cholera. The end.

Mobius

Quote from: mjwilson on June 25, 2022, 11:08:57 AMLatest news is that Kit Harrington took the project to George.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/06/23/snow-and-other-stuff/

Any excuse not to write the fucking book

Hat FM

Love it if this was a sitcom. John falls on hard times in the north and has to move in with a family with a wise cracking dad and talking cat. would keep people interested that way.

Dex Sawash

House of the Dragon, the Targaryan prequel starts in August if anyone cba

McDead

Quote from: Hat FM on June 25, 2022, 07:07:13 PMLove it if this was a sitcom. John falls on hard times in the north and has to move in with a family with a wise cracking dad and talking cat. would keep people interested that way.

YOU KNOW LESS THAN NOTHING, JON SNOW (tin flute theme tune plays)

non capisco

edit: no, terrible, even worse than the last series of game of thrones, sorry

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth