Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:09:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Macca is 80 today

Started by Head Gardener, June 18, 2022, 10:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Keebleman

For some reason, Macca turning 80 doesn't seem the sick joke that Ringo turning 80 did. I suppose we've had 2years to get used to the idea of Octogenarian Beatles.

But the statement, "Joe Biden is younger than Paul McCartney" still causes an instinctive reaction in me that Joe Biden is way too young to run for US President.

idunnosomename

Do you put your feet on the furniture at home?!?!

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Keebleman on June 18, 2022, 12:26:32 PMFor some reason, Macca turning 80 doesn't seem the sick joke that Ringo turning 80 did. I suppose we've had 2years to get used to the idea of Octogenarian Beatles.

so he's not even the oldest person in the Beatles?

Brundle-Fly

Happy birthday Macca! He could have only recorded Live And Let Die and nothing else and he'd still be the guv'nor.

Head Gardener

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 18, 2022, 01:04:33 PMDo you put your feet on the furniture at home?!?!

he can afford all the benches in Britain, bless him

Glebe

Happy Birthday Macca, wooooo!!👍👍

Kankurette

Will whoever his wife is still need/feed him now that he's over 64?

the science eel

What happened to that Bob Mortimer/Macca interview, by the way? Did anyone ever see the whole thing?

the science eel

Fair enough.

I'm interested to see how his voice holds up in the Glasto set next weekend. He was shaky doing the Olympics ceremony and that was TEN YEARS AGO. They'll probably transpose some songs down a tone or two, like they do with Percy Plant, but I think he still likes to YOWL sometimes

SpiderChrist

I'm probably not going to watch the Glastonbury performance - I saw the BBC4 repeat of Brian Wilson's Glasto set on Friday night and that was just fucking painful and sad.

the science eel

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 19, 2022, 10:38:14 AMI'm probably not going to watch the Glastonbury performance - I saw the BBC4 repeat of Brian Wilson's Glasto set on Friday night and that was just fucking painful and sad.

Yeah, I know.

I'm still very much looking forward because, well...because it's Paul McCartney and he's eighty and he might play 'Blackbird' - and even (especially?) with a shaky voice it'll be sweet and beautiful.

He'll get through his set on the strength of sheer goodwill and enthusiasm that'll be there alone - I mean, can you imagine?

shoulders

This might sound trite, with many people adding such similar sentiments concerning what is after all a global icon, but nevertheless :

Haha old

SteveDave

Many people got het up about Brian Wilson turning 80 2 days after Paul did but for me he's not in the same league. Yes, he was great for 2 years (1965-1967) but whilst Paul was continuing to kick out gems throughout the 70s and sometimes beyond, Brian was just eating burgers. Also, look at them on stage. Paul's voice my be shot to fuck but he doesn't look like a mad polar bear in a zoo who gets forced out to "entertain". No comparison.

We All Stand Together is the one and only piece of vinyl I've ever owned, although I wasn't allowed to touch it due to me being 28 3.

H-O-W-L

TEMPORARY
SECRETARY
TEMPORARE
SECRETARE

Johnboy

Does anyone have Macca´s Glastonbury 2022 set on video - my machine didn't record it properly- it's on YouTube as audio only. thanks..

Kankurette

Macca at least is compos mentis. Wilson's brain is fried.

DrGreggles

The Mollusk

Quote from: SteveDave on June 22, 2022, 09:03:31 AMMany people got het up about Brian Wilson turning 80 2 days after Paul did but for me he's not in the same league. Yes, he was great for 2 years (1965-1967) but whilst Paul was continuing to kick out gems throughout the 70s and sometimes beyond, Brian was just eating burgers. Also, look at them on stage. Paul's voice my be shot to fuck but he doesn't look like a mad polar bear in a zoo who gets forced out to "entertain". No comparison.

I bet Paul won't die for years but Brian will soon.

SteveDave

Kankurette

RELATIVELY compos mentis.

Critcho

Somehow of all the boomer rock legends Macca to me always seemed like one who'd end up living to a sprightly 100. He's achieved a few satisfying round numbers recently: hitting 80, and wrapping up his McCartney trilogy on a start-of-decade year just like the other two.

His tremulous elderly vocals take a bit of adjusting to, but I even like some of his more recent material. It feels increasingly surreal that this historical figure who more or less represents year 0 for modern popular music is still knocking around doing stuff.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Critcho on August 08, 2022, 12:14:35 PMIt feels increasingly surreal that this historical figure who more or less represents year 0 for modern popular music is still knocking around doing stuff.
Jerry Lee Lewis, Frankie Valli, Cliff Richard and (um) Joe Brown are still alive and they're even older. Although Lewis probably drinks the blood of children as well as marrying them, and fuck knows what the others do.

Tom Lehrer and Harry Belafonte are also still alive, but their influence on modern pop is arguably more subtle.

I was wondering who's still alive who had the earliest UK number 1 or top ten hit. Valli released his first single in 1953 according to Wikipedia.

Critcho

I looked up how old Johnny Cash was at the end, and he was only 71! He seemed impossibly ancient for years before he died. Same as Dylan I guess who's been 80 for at least 25 years now.

Dylan and Macca probably take the award for oldest musicians who still produce new material I'm willing to check out. I guess I'd give a new Brian Wilson project a listen but I'm not holding my breath for one of those.

Glebe

Quote from: Critcho on August 08, 2022, 02:28:25 PMI looked up how old Johnny Cash was at the end, and he was only 71!

Crikey.