Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Prehistoric Planet (Apple TV)

Started by Armed Traffic Warden, June 24, 2022, 07:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armed Traffic Warden

I have my niggling issues both scientific and visual but by the Hairy Holy Balls of Christ what a beautiful thing.
  As damn near close to what I've wanted from a documentary about dinosaurs since watching Jurassic Park at the cinema as a 4 year old. Fair play to Apple TV for resisting the temptation to interfere. I'd love a second series in a different era but fear it won't generate enough interest.

Your thoughts?

Poobum

A pedantic criticism, but about something I'm interested in and studied. I had a problem with the ammonites, their behaviour was far too based on coleoid biology. They made assumptions on very derived characteristics that occur in squids, cuttlefish, and octopi that seem to diverge, as much as the limited phylogeny suggests, because of the loss of the shell. It is possible they possessed bioluminescence but I think its overplayed, and the dying after mating I much more confident in being wrong. Semelparity most likely occurs in coleoids because they lack a shell so no protection, so more pressure to invest maximally in the one mating event they're going to take part in. Shelled nautiloids are completely different and lack both bioluminescence, mating displays, and mate multiple times.

I loved everything else, the chonky T-rex, the beautiful Mononykus, baby Theriznosaurs, and the awesome Deinocheirus. Think the speculation was reasonable and probably conservative. I agree with the criticism that the theropod crests were too bland, but that's nitpicky. Everything that's important they did brilliant and made me love these creatures even more.

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: bgmnts on June 24, 2022, 08:00:09 PMWell look what happened to the dinosaurs.

They survive to this very day in the form of the numerous bird species that grace our land and skies... 

Which make that foolish lady from Question Time all the more silly.

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: Poobum on June 24, 2022, 08:21:59 PMA pedantic criticism, but about something I'm interested in and studied. I had a problem with the ammonites, their behaviour was far too based on coleoid biology. They made assumptions on very derived characteristics that occur in squids, cuttlefish, and octopi that seem to diverge, as much as the limited phylogeny suggests, because of the loss of the shell. It is possible they possessed bioluminescence but I think its overplayed, and the dying after mating I much more confident in being wrong. Semelparity most likely occurs in coleoids because they lack a shell so no protection, so more pressure to invest maximally in the one mating event they're going to take part in. Shelled nautiloids are completely different and lack both bioluminescence, mating displays, and mate multiple times.

I loved everything else, the chonky T-rex, the beautiful Mononykus, baby Theriznosaurs, and the awesome Deinocheirus. Think the speculation was reasonable and probably conservative. I agree with the criticism that the theropod crests were too bland, but that's nitpicky. Everything that's important they did brilliant and made me love these creatures even more.

Agree with all this. More than enough goodwill coins in the bank from bringing so many extinct species to life in the most realistic and plausible show that oozes love for its subject.
 I was beaming pretty much throughout. I found the Alcioni taking flight from Coasts gobsmacking and immediately realised 'this is it'.