Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:39:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fighting games

Started by Dickie_Anders, June 26, 2022, 11:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dickie_Anders

I've been going down the fighting game rabbit hole recently on YouTube. Haven't played one since Soul Blade on the PS1 (what a game) but it's made me want to pick one up.

What would anyone here recommend? I've heard mixed things about Street Fighter V, even though that seems to have the largest amount of players. Tekken 7 is the most fun to watch for me but I've heard the online isn't great (or maybe that's just the hardcore guys saying that, because they have detailed knowledge of frame perfect moves that the casual player wouldn't give a fuck about lagging slightly, don't really know).

Also in general: what's your favourite fighting game, past or present?

bgmnts

Well if it's watching fighting games then preferably one with an interesting story so perhaps the few recent Mortal Kombat games?

Pink Gregory

Have never been able to get into Street Fighter myself, it seems like it's very difficult to even find a basic combo sometimes, obviously it's a very rich and varied game, but impenetrable if you haven't studied it a bit first.

Soul Calibur doesn't have that problem, but it's never really stuck with me, not sure why, because it's not dissimilar to Tekken but I find Tekken a lot easier to learn a few moves and have an okay time with in Arcade mode?  Less flexible maybe.

I've talked about Skullgirls before  mainly because of generic inputs for specials, broad archetypes (for the original cast anyway) and an excellent tutorial mode; but it can be a bit of a hard sell when you see their pants a lot.

Crenners

I don't particularly enjoy Tekken but it'll be a hell of a lot easier to pick up than SFV if you've never really played SF before. On the other hand, it'll be really annoying getting hit once and then juggled across the screen and smashed into the wall and then juggled again for the rest of your health bar.

SF6 is on the way and it's supposed to be very beginner friendly in terms of special move inputs and control scheme options. SFV would prep you for the fundamentals of spacing and so on if you have any interest in that.

There's no getting around the fact that these games are extremely in depth, though. They require some time investment to be able to beat people randomly mashing buttons. SFIV is my all-time favourite. Check out this Daigo vs Momochi absolute classic from Stunfest Grand Finals.

It starts tight and technical, back and forth until Momoch suddenly i bodies him and then gets a hell of a response from Daigo. After that, it's a slugfest. Amazing match.

Dickie_Anders

Quote from: bgmnts on June 26, 2022, 12:00:07 PMWell if it's watching fighting games then preferably one with an interesting story so perhaps the few recent Mortal Kombat games?
I don't just want to watch them though, I want to start playing one. But I have seen some MK11 vids and it does look like a good game. The fighting seems a bit less "fluid" and varied than the others I've seen (I think the term fighting game fans use is "expressive"). But I do think it's cool that they have such in-depth story modes

This has a big cult following. It's free and sounds like a great way in - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1026840/Ultra_Fight_Da__Kyanta_2/

QuoteUltra Fight Kyanta 2 is a fighting game with a frantic pace and easy to learn controls. You can perform special attacks using single button presses! Fight in 2D battles across various modes using teams of hand-drawn characters.

Mister Six

I'm too shit at fighting games to make a proper fist of it - I just can't be arsed learning which frames of animation make the character invulnerable, or when to break through a block or whatever - but I did enjoy Injustice, the DC Comics fighter, on PS4. Really pretty graphics, fluid controls, plenty going on without feeling overwhelming, and if you get the ultimate edition or whatever it's called, you can play as Hellboy and the Ninja Turtles.

The story mode looks cool, but unfortunately the story itself is a bit toss, which is a shame because apparently Injustice 1 had a great story.

oggyraiding

The recent Guilty Gear games have very comprehensive tutorials, that teach the basics of 2D fighters generally, as well game specific stuff. Lovely art styles too, like playing a particularly well animated cartoon. But if you're not into over the top anime designs it might be a bit insufferable.

Street Fighter V is pretty decent now compared to launch, especially as you can get the DLC characters relatively cheaply and they added a proper story mode and arcade mode. Quite pedestrian as far as fighters go, there's nothing that really elevates it above others, but it's good as a sort of a baseline of 2D fighters.

Dickie_Anders

Thank you for the recommendations everyone. The only other fighting game I've played is Capcom vs SNK, so I have a bit of experience with Street Fighter through that. Didn't really learn much complicated though, just spammed Yoga Flame and job was a good-un.

I've enjoyed watching some SFV matches on YouTube. That Daigo chap does seem quite good doesn't he? There's another lad called Punk from America who is also fun to watch.

I think I like watching Tekken 7 the most because of the juggling mechanic you mentioned, Crenners. There's this tension to matches because they seem to be faking each other out constantly so that they can hit the big move (I think commentators call it the "launcher") that allows them to basically kick the shit out their opponent for elongated periods. I enjoy when fighting games let you make people suffer like that. Not fun to be on the receiving end though, of course

Guilty Gear looks insanely cool visually, I'm not put off by the art style at all

Pink Gregory

Have a little look at the SNK fighters as well, I know next to nothing about them but obvs. King of Fighters is still going.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Used to play Street Fighter II and Tekken (IV and V) and got really good at both. I've since gone to timing-based, single-player fighting games like One Finger Death Punch, Kung Fury, Divekick and One Finger Death Punch 2.

For Street Fighter/Tekken I recommend picking your favourite character and gittin' gud with them. Once you finish the arcade/story mode with them, move to another character. Take the time to learn the special moves and how to block/throw/jump.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mister Six on June 26, 2022, 04:25:25 PMI'm too shit at fighting games to make a proper fist of it - I just can't be arsed learning which frames of animation make the character invulnerable, or when to break through a block or whatever - but I did enjoy Injustice, the DC Comics fighter, on PS4. Really pretty graphics, fluid controls, plenty going on without feeling overwhelming, and if you get the ultimate edition or whatever it's called, you can play as Hellboy and the Ninja Turtles.

The story mode looks cool, but unfortunately the story itself is a bit toss, which is a shame because apparently Injustice 1 had a great story.

This should be Injustice 2, BTW.

elliszeroed

Quote from: Crenners on June 26, 2022, 12:44:17 PMIt starts tight and technical, back and forth until Momoch suddenly i bodies him and then gets a hell of a response from Daigo. After that, it's a slugfest. Amazing match.

Nice to see even the best players can't do a fireball every time.

bgmnts

Once the fear sets in, you're fucked.