Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Our Flag Means Death

Started by lauraxsynthesis, June 27, 2022, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauraxsynthesis

Starting a new thread because the other didn't give it its due imho.

And because there is an update: Series 2 is on the way and will be filmed in Aotearoa/New Zealand. I imagine that might mean lots more NZ performers which should be interesting. I've watched OFMD s1 a couple of times now and it stands up well to repeat viewings. There is a lot going on that I missed the first time.

I'm hoping this ends up on the BBC or at least iPlayer at some point.

letsgobrian

I went back and watched David Jenkins earlier series People of Earth again and the tone was closer to Our Flag Means Death than I was giving the newer show credit for.

lauraxsynthesis

Bumping this coz it's on BBC2 and iplayer from tomorrow night. If any of youse have queer/NB kids, this is going to be their new fave.

Also, it's excellent. Series 2 is out later this year.

phantom_power

Yeah after a shaky start I ended up loving this, and it was a really interesting take on a gay relationship. It seemed to be queer-baiting to start with but became a full-on sweet but twisted relationship comedy

I'll give this another go now it's on iplayer, I watched a couple and couldn't get it into it when it was first out but it's built up a quite a fanbase.

Edit: I think it was because Rhys Darby was in a shitty youtube ad that seemed be constantly on before every video at the time (banking app?) and it put me off despite liking him in FOTC.

George White

I remember him on CBBC's The Slammer as himself, just as the Conchords took off, really entertaining the kid audience.

timebug

I posted in the Comedy Chat threads that I found it utter shite!

lauraxsynthesis

Series 2 started yesterday with the first 3 episodes and it's a very different animal from s1. Filmed in NZ, a wider range of tone from the start, and more dramatic and epic with big set pieces. It sucks
Spoiler alert
that Guz Khan's character has been killed off but great that Spanish Jackie is back
[close]
. I wasn't enjoying the first 2 episodes much but ep 3,
Spoiler alert
in which Ed and Stede are finally reunited
[close]
is the best there has been across the whole 13 eps I reckon.

This extremely surprising interview with the creator David Jenkins has turned up - OFMD wasn't mean to be a romance until after they started filming and he saw how Rhys Darby and Taika Waititi interacted with each other in a particular scene. I've never heard of a programme's direction switching so dramatically when it's already in production, but maybe that's normal in Hollywood? 

Mister Six

Quote from: George White on January 03, 2023, 11:06:49 PMI remember him on CBBC's The Slammer as himself, just as the Conchords took off, really entertaining the kid audience.

Bloody hell, I don't know what impressed me more - his quality mouth sounds or how young and thin he is:

And this was only a year before the FotC show? What the hell did they do to this handsome young man?!

backdrifter

So glad this is back! The first ep had me worried it had turned shit (or at least changed too much) but it quickly returned to form and now 5 eps in I can't wait for next week's.

perplexingprocrastinator

It's a funny little show, isn't it? I can go whole episodes without particularly laughing but it's all so wholesome - a delightfully gentle world - to visit and I just really enjoy it.

But then you do get some absolutely gutbusting stuff - Ed moping around heartbroken for Steed (sp.?) but being a terrifying tyrant to everyone else is so danged funny...

I really like Izzy(sp.?)'s character too... that actor's voice sounds like he was born with a sore throat!

>>> OFMD wasn't mean to be a romance until after they started filming and he saw how Rhys Darby and Taika Waititi interacted with each other in a particular scene.

This was fascinating! It was a good move - really sets this show apart. Original, big-budget, family-friendly, warm-hearted, extremely LGBTQ+ comedy. Awesome :)

madhair60

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on October 17, 2023, 09:40:45 AM>>> OFMD wasn't mean to be a romance until after they started filming and he saw how Rhys Darby and Taika Waititi interacted with each other in a particular scene.

this is obvious bullshit of course

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: madhair60 on October 17, 2023, 08:42:14 PMthis is obvious bullshit of course

You reckon? I guess it would be a pretty darned big re-write now you come to mention it!

I miss Blackbeard's big beard. Bring back big-beard!

MojoJojo

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on October 18, 2023, 08:34:38 AMYou reckon? I guess it would be a pretty darned big re-write now you come to mention it!

I miss Blackbeard's big beard. Bring back big-beard!

To be fair, it later says in the interview
QuoteJenkins always intended his pirate comedy to end with a romance, but he'd envisioned it as an unrequited love. "It was going to be about Stede learning what love is, and Ed making himself vulnerable and getting burned," Jenkins says of his original pitch. "

So maybe not so much of a rewrite. I've not seen it yet, so can't really comment. It would be more plausible if it was an early rehearsal screen test rather than shooting though.

Dex Sawash

I only watched first few eps of S1 and quit because it wasn't very funny. Not poorly made, just not very entertaining. Should I try again or is it more of same? Really just wanted Murray to do band roll call 'chiik'

no_offenc

glork

Spoiler alert
i liked series one but this one was disappointing for these reasons:

- it felt like we didn't get enough time with each of the characters and i would have liked to see more lucius but he was just angry and traumatised this season, which was sort of sad rather than humorous.

- i'm disappointed that jim/olu's relationship just disappeared without explanation after setting it up so nicely in the first series. i did quite like archie though. i thought they were going to become a poly relationship which might have been fun, but no

- it seemed as if they couldn't decide what to do with blackbeard as a character or what his motivations were. what was the whole fisherman thing about? i found him quite unlikeable this series

- most of all i hated what happened with izzy in the last episode. his scenes were the best thing about series two and i was excited to see what would happen with him. but then his death was all over in about five minutes and they could have easily had a whole episode or two dealing with that. i didn't like that his dying words seemed to revolve around him reasurring blackbeard that he was a good person. it all felt like a lazy way to have a dramatic ending

- too many callbacks and snippets of footage from series one. i want new stuff and i don't need all these visual reminders of what happened

on the positive side, zheng was amazing and i loved her
[close]

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: glork on October 26, 2023, 12:48:53 PM
Spoiler alert
i liked series one but this one was disappointing for these reasons:

- it felt like we didn't get enough time with each of the characters and i would have liked to see more lucius but he was just angry and traumatised this season, which was sort of sad rather than humorous.

- i'm disappointed that jim/olu's relationship just disappeared without explanation after setting it up so nicely in the first series. i did quite like archie though. i thought they were going to become a poly relationship which might have been fun, but no

- it seemed as if they couldn't decide what to do with blackbeard as a character or what his motivations were. what was the whole fisherman thing about? i found him quite unlikeable this series

- most of all i hated what happened with izzy in the last episode. his scenes were the best thing about series two and i was excited to see what would happen with him. but then his death was all over in about five minutes and they could have easily had a whole episode or two dealing with that. i didn't like that his dying words seemed to revolve around him reasurring blackbeard that he was a good person. it all felt like a lazy way to have a dramatic ending

- too many callbacks and snippets of footage from series one. i want new stuff and i don't need all these visual reminders of what happened

on the positive side, zheng was amazing and i loved her
[close]

Hard agree with a lot of this.
Spoiler alert
It hasn't been a great series and the last episode was particularly poor. V much regret the under-use of Lucius. I still love the show but it's disappointing this series wasn't better, especially since a third isn't guaranteed.
[close]

squidn.t

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on October 26, 2023, 03:46:39 PMHard agree with a lot of this.
Spoiler alert
It hasn't been a great series and the last episode was particularly poor. V much regret the under-use of Lucius. I still love the show but it's disappointing this series wasn't better, especially since a third isn't guaranteed.
[close]

yup.
Spoiler alert
this whole second series was a ton of different ideas which couldve worked along the span of MULTIPLE series. way too much stuff crammed in, incredibly unsatisfactory.
[close]

Two Headed Sex Beast

Not being renewed, unfortunately

lauraxsynthesis

Aye, not a surprise. It seems to be an HBOMax decision, but what other decisions preceded it I wonder. It seemed that TW was ready to move on from it after S2, which after all did seem to pretty much tie up the story. Lots of the younger fans are convincing themselves it's pure homophobia behind the decision, which I suspect is nonsense but they won't be convinced otherwise so I'm not arguing the point with them.

I'd be more disappointed if I'd enjoyed S2 more.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Yeah 2nd season was a bit messy as others have mentioned. And without
Spoiler alert
Con O'Neill in there any more
[close]
to ground things amongst the whimsy I'm not sure the balance would feel right. But still would have liked to see what they'd do with it. Rhys Darby was hinting that the story probably wouldn't get a happy ending if they were to see it through, I think that would have been interesting.

lauraxsynthesis

No reprieve / rescue by another streaming service yet in spite of astounding fan activism like a billboard in Times Square and a plane flying over Hollywood with a banner reading "Save Our Flag Means Death".

Series 2 starts on BBC2 on Monday night at 10 and will be on iPlayer. I'd hoped for promotion from the cast on chat shows etc but I imagine the cancellation means that won't be happening. However, Kristian Nairn is doing what he also did for S1 and running his own Instagram Live cast interviews after broadcast. The cast fanservice really is rather lovely.

Mister Six

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 03, 2024, 01:31:29 PMNo reprieve / rescue by another streaming service yet in spite of astounding fan activism like a billboard in Times Square and a plane flying over Hollywood with a banner reading "Save Our Flag Means Death".

"In 2019 a woman named Emperial Young went on an eight-day hunger strike outside the Netflix building in New York, protesting against the streaming giant's decision to cancel the cult hit TV show The OA."

Deranged.