Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:22:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

THings you find hauntological that no one else does

Started by George White, June 29, 2022, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Did Happy Eater ever change its' logo?  I remember the comments about the logo looking like he;s putting his finger down his throat, leading to people calling it 'unhappy vomiter' and some years later I remember hearing that they'd paid an ad agency an enormous sum of money to come up with a new logo, and when it was unveiled all they'd done was paint out the hand.  But now I can find no evidence online that this ever happened so I'm wondering if maybe I heard a gag and took it at face value.

Video Game Fan 2000

He's pointing out that he had all his teeth removed to provide a softer and more enveloping experience for his clients.

Norton Canes

It's got a strange Wiki page, which tells the restaurant chain's story in the first couple of paragraphs, then proceeds to tell it all over again in the next couple of sections.

I seem to remember they put little solitaire peg games on each table, which says plenty about the lonely nature of life on the road.

Norton Canes

Blue Jam

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 11, 2022, 04:29:08 PMDid Happy Eater ever change its' logo? I'm wondering if maybe I heard a gag

You probably didn't, it's just a drawing.

non capisco

pigamus

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 05, 2022, 05:28:52 PMI find this image has a haunted quality and it's hard to explain why:

It's a Google Earth shot of the North end of Maidstone in 1990.

An image of the same spot of land is also available on Google Earth from c.1960, and most years from 2005 - but for some reason none of these have the same haunted quality.

It's because you know Neil Buchanan might be down there somewhere

Buelligan

It's the Neighbourhood Crime Hub you can see, just appearing at the very edge.

hamfist

This tower, in Tingley south of Leeds.

I could see the top of it over the fields from my childhood home. It had two red lights on top to stop aircraft smashing into it.

As a small child I named this thing "the Onglong". There were microwave transmitter / receivers mounted on it which I called "doughnuts". When the ATV tv ident came on I would sing "Onglong Doughnut der de derrrrrr" to the jingle.

Below it was a NEGAS depot, lit up 24/7 with sodium floodlights. I called these the "mellow lights".

Anyway, any kind of 24/7 compound with lighting, electrical, pumping, military or telecomms equipment gives me the old haunts to this day. Stuff like Fylingdales BMWS station, or the gas terminal near Easington. Things that are there all the time, fenced off, with status lights / warning lights. Wuhhhhh.

non capisco

I find all transmitter towers hauntological, I think because certainly in the early 80s the BBC were still showing stills of them as a placeholder on the occasions when technological problems temporarily halted programming. They became synonymous with telly "going wrong". The two Crystal Palace towers are still my favourite frestanding structures ever. Love the solitary Wrotham lad on the North Downs as well, peeking round that corner of the M20.

Brundle-Fly

Other long discontinued odd company mascots was this one. I wonder if it was Barbapapa moonlighting?

And this tiny blue anthropomorphic salt-filled sachet. That's no life, I used to think, while tearing the top of his head off and watching all the contents land on just the one big crisp.

hamfist

Any piece of unattended electrical equipment which emits a high pitch hum - some EV chargers do it

seepage

I remember Dinky or Corgi did a  Commer TV detector van, but the closest I can find now is a Matchbox Commer TV Service Van, which is too small.

George White

Adam Curtis' stuff if not itself hauntological definitely covers the hauntological side of politics.

George White

The Radiophonic Workshop-scored titles to one of the myriad BBC prestige docudrama series - Prisoners of Conscience (others being Life at Stake, Spy! and Escape ) https://youtu.be/xnII6MFbRb4?t=89

Zetetic

Avril Lavigne's introductions to her 2004 AOL Live sessions.

thenoise

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 11, 2022, 04:29:08 PMI remember the comments about the logo looking like he;s putting his finger down his throat, leading to people calling it 'unhappy vomiter'

My Dad told me that it came from an old TV advert with the claim that the food was so good "you'll want to eat it twice".

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: thenoise on July 14, 2022, 10:00:25 PMMy Dad told me that it came from an old TV advert with the claim that the food was so good "you'll want to eat it twice".

You can eat all food twice, just need to fish for it and give it a rinse.

non capisco

My dad convinced me that all the cooks at every branch of Little Chef were dwarfs.

You're expecting a '28 years old I was' gag here but no. I was actually 14 at the time.

buttgammon

As a longstanding connoisseur of TV presentation, newsflashes and emergency warnings, nothing has ever given me the cold feeling of Gulf War air raids from Israeli TV.

https://youtu.be/Apf9jX0Fi_g

I once saw a Saudi version which was sinister but lacked the spookiness of this particular siren sound.

Mr Vegetables

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 11, 2022, 08:26:12 PMAnd this tiny blue anthropomorphic salt-filled sachet. That's no life, I used to think, while tearing the top of his head off and watching all the contents land on just the one big crisp.

I remember eating peas as a child just after watching The Poddington Peas, imagining their wee pea faces getting crushed by my teeth that were bigger than their bodies. "What a cruel world which I am complicit in," I thought in some more child-appropriate words

petril

Quote from: buttgammon on July 15, 2022, 10:11:54 PMAs a longstanding connoisseur of TV presentation, newsflashes and emergency warnings, nothing has ever given me the cold feeling of Gulf War air raids from Israeli TV.

https://youtu.be/Apf9jX0Fi_g

I once saw a Saudi version which was sinister but lacked the spookiness of this particular siren sound.

sounds like the siren sound is straight out of the Radiophonic Workshop

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: jobotic on July 05, 2022, 05:25:45 PMIt's Wordy from Words & Pictures, which I've been meaning to put in the TV Themes thread.

Close. The little cartoon guy who squashes up and down is Charlie, from the earlier Words & Pictures episodes.

famethrowa

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on July 17, 2022, 02:25:29 PMClose. The little cartoon guy who squashes up and down is Charlie, from the earlier Words & Pictures episodes.

Oh god I remember that thing from school TV. Funny thing is it's not a cartoon, it's a puppet:

Catalogue Trousers

Yeah! If I recall correctly, he was carved from sponge, which is how they were able to squash him about like they did.

famethrowa

Speaking of puppets, here's the most terrifying hauntology thing: Stooky Bill. Baird's gaudily made-up disembodied melting puppet head, seen through fuzzy lines of primitive transmission a hundred years ago, who eventually gave us Monty Python and Big Brother and Parkinson.

George White

I was watching some of the NUmbertimes I watched as a little kid, after learning that one of the main creatives involved was Toby Jones.
https://youtu.be/dKBOIZIt3nA?t=73
And while they don't feel haunto, they do feel noticeably older than 1998, more 1988.

Quote from: George White on July 19, 2022, 12:08:21 PMI was watching some of the NUmbertimes I watched as a little kid, after learning that one of the main creatives involved was Toby Jones.
https://youtu.be/dKBOIZIt3nA?t=73
And while they don't feel haunto, they do feel noticeably older than 1998, more 1988.

There is something spooky about how in footage from any era, Toby Jones has always looked around forty years old. Never looks younger or older.