Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:00:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fancy A Brew?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, July 01, 2022, 10:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Just lately I have had occasion to have a number of tradesmen round to fix various bits around the house. Due to my innate sense of northern bonhomie I always offer a cuppa on arrival.

Years ago your plumber/spark/builder etc wouldn't start until they had downed at least one strong brew whilst I awkwardly passed the time chatting about the prospects for whichever footie team they followed.

These days my kind offer is invariably turned down. What's with this? Do I look as if I am going to add something unspeakable to the tea? Has word got round that my coffee is substandard?

Have other folks noticed this sea change?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 01, 2022, 10:19:11 AMJust lately I have had occasion to have a number of tradesmen round

I bet you have you dirty old bollocks. I bet you fucking have.

poodlefaker

The curse of wokeness claiming more victims. Bet they were discussing their feelings, too. Meanwhile the country's on its knees.

Lordofthefiles

I've noticed this too.

I assume it's one of a few things that stops them enjoying your hospitality:

a) the poisoning aspect - nowt worse than downing a lovely hot cup of tea only to immediately become incapacitated yet lucid whilst a salivating homeowner stands over your numb body loosening their trousers.

b) they've had so much cocaine to get themselves revved up for another day of manual labour that the offer of a coffee is tantamount to offering a raging alcoholic a bottle of Kaliber lagerfree lager.

c) they're fitness maniacs who's bodies are temples - I once set up a small table in a spare room for the blokes who fitted our bathroom. Upon it was a kettle with assorted teas and coffees and an incredible selection of biscuits. One of the labourers turned to me and said "what's this, we don't eat any of that shit" ...and they didn't, not a nibble. They sat and ate salads and drank homemade green smoothies every time they had a break.

It's a definite modern phenomenon, gone are the days of accepting the coffee/tea offer from you and wasting an extra half hour waking themselves up and filling the air with small talk.

Dex Sawash

robhug

you must have a look of shit tea about you. you need to let it brew for  exactly 2m30s 

Endicott

Spoon needs to stand up in it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Are you sure they weren't foreign? Foreigns don't drink tea.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 01, 2022, 10:19:11 AMHave other folks noticed this sea change?
If you're using seawater, it's no wonder they don't want a cuppa.

In our late capitalism, nose to the grindstone society, maybe they can't spare the time to drink and widdle out all the beverages they get offered.

imitationleather

Now that tradesmen earn so much they probably think the humble British cup of tea is beneath them and will only accept tall skinny lattes or some other nonsense!!!

privatefriend

Navalny & Litvinenko took a cup of tea and look what happened to them. Not worth the risk.

Fr.Bigley

It's cos your house Is a smelly shithole and the cat piss smell takes away the shine of your brew served in a stained sports direct mug.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 01, 2022, 02:52:11 PMIt's cos your house Is a smelly shithole and the cat piss smell takes away the shine of your brew served in a stained sports direct mug.

How dare you. I would never use a sports direct mug.

Jasha

Are you gonna let them leave dribbles of piss on your bog seat after too?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 01, 2022, 05:55:47 PMHow dare you. I would never use a sports direct mug.

You must pardon my ignorance and my foul language about your squalid  gaff. Apologies

Stigdu

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 01, 2022, 01:21:49 PMAre you sure they weren't foreign? Foreigns don't drink tea.

Not tea with milk, anyway.

imitationleather

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 01, 2022, 01:21:49 PMAre you sure they weren't foreign? Foreigns don't drink tea.

Good point. Offer them a super strength Polish lager instead.

Stigdu

Quote from: imitationleather on July 01, 2022, 07:03:55 PMGood point. Offer them a super strength Polish lager instead.

Lech or Tyskie would be a good shout.

Replies From View

They don't accept a cup of tea these days because it means you are left still owing them something, and in this instance they get to pay the techno version of 'Wellerman' in your house at full blast all day long without a single complaint from you or any of your neighbours.