Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Werner Herzog

Started by Twit 2, July 16, 2022, 06:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 23, 2022, 02:58:55 AMhave seen Aguirre, Bad Lieutenant, and Fitzcarraldo, which few others seem to have seen which is fine because it's not great.

Fitzcarraldo is brilliant.

What I would say is that it needs to be seen in German, because the delivery of the dialogue in English is appalling. Apart from that, I don't understand the issue.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: colacentral on July 23, 2022, 08:53:58 AMFitzcarraldo is brilliant.

What I would say is that it needs to be seen in German, because the delivery of the dialogue in English is appalling. Apart from that, I don't understand the issue.

might have been that in fairness. it's been a few years now might have to give it another go.

Dex Sawash

Why not just leave that boat over there?

Dex Sawash

It is possible the whole point of the film was answering that question and I failed to come away with the correct viewing.

Thursday

I like Fitzcarraldo because in order to do a story about a man pushing a boat over a mountain, they literally pushed a boat over a mountain.

Terry Torpid

I like it because Kinski plays a sort of nice man for a change.

Thursday

One of his toughest ever roles.

Crenners

There's a brilliant BFI boxset of about thirty of his films which I got in a sale for like £18 quid, insane value. I never watched any and sold it for forty-five quid on eBay.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Twit 2

Quote from: Crenners on July 24, 2022, 08:39:52 PMI never watched any

How are you people failing so comprehensively to watch Herzog films? You were so close. Mystifying.

Terry Torpid

Quote from: Crenners on July 24, 2022, 08:39:52 PMThere's a brilliant BFI boxset of about thirty of his films which I got in a sale for like £18 quid, insane value. I never watched any and sold it for forty-five quid on eBay.

Be careful with that box set because the quality is quite poor. Not the picture quality, I mean the actual box is a bit flimsy.

Crenners

Fortunately, I sold it in pristine condition.

Twit 2

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/aug/07/werner-herzog-twilight-world-fire-within-stunts-interview

QuoteWould it still be possible to make films like the ones you made in today's safety-conscious climate?
I was never, contrary to rumours, a hazard-seeking, crazy stuntman. I am very methodical and safety-oriented. And my proof is that, in 80 films or so, not a single actor got injured.

Hmm. Haven't crew been injured and even killed, though? Thomas Mauch, cinematographer, severely damaged his hand filming the rapids sequence of Fitzcarraldo. I love Herzog, but he is a bit of a megalomaniac. Comparing his work to Caravaggio, claiming his writing will outlive his films. He's a very good writer but a far better filmmaker. We're here for the films, mate.