Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:55:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

their most famous song is SHITE

Started by the science eel, July 22, 2022, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

'Teenage Kicks', to start you off...

BJBMK2

Video Game Fan 2000

two posts and already this thread is more harrowing than Grave of the Fireflies

Shaky

This has all the makings of a FABULOUSLY arch thread!

willbo

bjork - oh so quiet

toploader - dancing in the moonlight (and the others are shite too!)

TheMonk

The Chumbawumbas and that piss drinking song?

idunnosomename

Quote from: willbo on July 23, 2022, 08:20:09 AMbjork - oh so quiet

toploader - dancing in the moonlight (and the others are shite too!)
both those are covers of course. I like to think the Björk single only got so big because of the video

But fucking hell Toploader. How embarrassing.

the science eel

dontpaintyourteeth

Are some of these shite or have you just heard them too many times

Greg Torso

Quote from: the science eel on July 23, 2022, 10:58:13 AMI love it to pieces. Took me a few decades like

It works well in context on the record, shite at a wedding

Greg Torso

Hmmm what is the Beatleses' most famous song?

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Greg Torso on July 23, 2022, 11:13:13 AMHmmm what is the Beatleses' most famous song?

I'd say Yellow Submarine. It's the only one I remember knowing before I got into them. If not that then probably Hey Jude; Both are always skipped.

The Mollusk

Yes both of those songs are interminable dreck, proper thumbs-in-the-eyes job. Suddenly coming out of a bored catatonia to the realisation I'm curling my toes so hard it hurts. It's a cool autumn day but I'm sweating, my elbows and knees are tense. The quirky backing vocals of the call and response verse of "Yellow Submarine" making my lip twitch into a flashbulb snarl with every utterance. Sky of blue! Sea of green! but all I see is greys getting darker, the sound in my ears muddying, going under. Handcuffed to the periscope of this gaudy golden vessel as it submerges, the cartoon lads having a gay old time inside, looking out the portholes and giving "cheers!" in merriment as they watch me, waiting for me to surrender to the water, fill my lungs with it. I don't even hesitate, soon as the flotsam has passed and I see we're fully under, I open my mouth and drink it in. Anything to not have to hear that song again.

Quote from: Greg Torso on July 23, 2022, 11:13:13 AMHmmm what is the Beatleses' most famous song?

Hey Jude, which is shite.

EDIT: It's so popular and so shite, somebody already said it.

Oasis- Wonderwall

This fucking dirge just haunted the latter half of the 90s and beyond for me. Know a few chords and want to impress the ladies? Of course it's got to be Wonderwall you'll be playing. I have no problem with people bashing out a tune to sing along to on an acoustic at parties but NOT fucking Wonderwall for the love of God please.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Greg Torso on July 23, 2022, 11:12:31 AMIt works well in context on the record, shite at a wedding
I'm painfully aware that I'm in a minority of one when it comes to what I consider the best version of that song, and even more so that I didn't exactly cover myself in glory when it last came up in conversation - sorry to everyone who ended up reading that, and especially to @shoulders.

But that whole embarrassing episode did help me clarify for myself why I liked a version which so many other people dismissed as lacking any life and energy: precisely because of years spent cringeing as the legend Gary energy built and those pathetic circular conga line things formed in the discotheques whenever Come On Eileen played.

That reflection also led me back to the album, so, you know, every cloud ...

Sebastian Cobb

Don't really like I Hate you so Much Right Now or Milkshake but Kelis has some otherwise great stuff (mostly on Food).

dontpaintyourteeth

while my guitar gently weeps is the worst beatles song

dissolute ocelot

Paul McCartney definitely, whether you count Mull of Kintyre, Frog Chorus, Pipes of Peace, or the (other) Xmas one.

Spandau Ballet.

Maybe not most famous songs, but OMD's biggest hits were bizarrely poor. (Seven Seas, Locomotion, Souvenir)

I've had more than one person explain that Black Eyed Peas early stuff was good.

dontpaintyourteeth

Lennon (Imagine)
Harrison (My Sweet Lord)

Sebastian Cobb

Babylon Zoo. All the others are as well, mind.

Brundle-Fly

Michael Stipe pulls a world weary face and leaves thread, sighing loudly.

badaids

Can anyone tell me what Supergrass' most famous song is and if it is shite please?

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: badaids on July 23, 2022, 02:53:53 PMCan anyone tell me what Supergrass' most famous song is and if it is shite please?

It's nothing special.

Jollity

I agree about Outkast. "Hey Ya" is an incredibly dreary sounding song to me, and I don't see why people think it sounds upbeat.

dontpaintyourteeth

Happy Valentine's Day was the real gem on The Love Below, a 21st century Alphabet Street.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Jollity on July 23, 2022, 04:32:01 PMI agree about Outkast. "Hey Ya" is an incredibly dreary sounding song to me, and I don't see why people think it sounds upbeat.

I've always been under the impression it's meant to have that feel to it. The song is about relationships and how people stay together out of obligation/tradition but end up living the rest of their lives together unhappy or unfulfilled. It's a veneer of happy family life with a strong undercurrent of disaffection and the song carries that vibe perfectly. It's a brilliant pop tune.