Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

their most famous song is SHITE

Started by the science eel, July 22, 2022, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 29, 2022, 02:28:55 PMAerosmith, Van Halen, Twisted Sister

Actually KISS as well of course. US hard rock not well served by the pop charts.

Goldentony

Quote from: buzby on July 29, 2022, 11:40:57 AMThe Us version was made as the label execs thought the original one was too cheap-looking (it does look like it was shot on 16mm) after Steve Barron's bright, shiny CGI for Money For Nothing, and I don't think Knopfler was too keen on it either. It was Knopf;er's idea to put sports in the US version.

dont think ive ever seen this version and its immediately better. The sports one is too hopeful, it's like a parody of a vision of life none of us could imagine living

willbo

Quote from: Poobum on July 29, 2022, 12:48:26 AMI'll defend Monkey Gone To Heaven, still one of my favourites. "If the devil is six than god is seven." Lovely stuff.

my student bar constantly played "monkey" and "where is my mind" and now they just remind me of feeling sick. I still love all other Pixies stuff tho.

Goldentony

the worst part of the American video for Walk Of Life is, easily, Mark Knpfler's constant looks at the band to give them an exhausted "bloody hell" type laugh like he cant believe he agree to this

Kankurette

I thought Debaser was the Pixies' most famous single? Not that it's shite, and neither is Monkey Gone to Heaven.

Tokyo van Ramming

Nah, radio seems to favour Here Comes Your Man and then Monkey.

Monkey is so completely at odds with anything else on the radio, vindication for the old weird spirit of the band.

Video Game Fan 2000

Where Is My Mind is brilliant but its utterly overplayed and there are so many shit covers its been spoiled for me.

Thankfully the awesome Cactus is unsullied

the science eel

top ten

Here Comes Your Man
Alec Eiffel
No. 13 Baby
River Euphrates (single version)
Debaser
Motorway To Roswell
Where Is My Mind?
Bone Machine
Velouria
Brick Is Red

Rev+

Quote from: Kankurette on July 30, 2022, 11:06:18 PMI thought Debaser was the Pixies' most famous single? Not that it's shite, and neither is Monkey Gone to Heaven.

Debaser wasn't a single, somewhat amazingly.  It did eventually get released when they put out a best-of when they reformed.

Rev+

famethrowa

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 26, 2022, 01:23:45 PMI find it amusing the drummer was so unmotivated by the material that he went home, and they got a top session lad in to do all the parts in two days.

In all these years, I've never thought of it that way. It's always been "oh Terry just wasn't good enough, couldn't get the feel etc etc". But maybe he was bored shitless? He heard the chorus of So Far Away and said "I got nothing". Terry Williams is/was a great drummer, so I think you're onto something.

Quote from: Goldentony on July 28, 2022, 08:55:15 PMjust wondering if there's any guesses as to why a song like this needs two men playing what could be 4 keyboards at once

Well there's the problem, previous (better) Straits songs required all those 'boards but yeah you could probably do this one on a Casio.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TheMonk on July 25, 2022, 10:39:14 PMSongfacts.com: Before the lyrics kick in, Mark Knopfler does a few "who-hoo"s, which help create a whimsical vibe. When he spoke with the BBC in 1989, he expressed some woo remorse. "There's too many 'woos' at the beginning of 'Walk of Life,'" he said. "I heard it on the radio the other day and thought, Oh my God! What was I doing that for?"

And I'd forgotten Les Boys. What an awful song. Mercifully my copy of Making Movies on a 45 minute TDK cut it off after a few words when the tape ran out.

Also, Alchemy is a great live album.

Seen several pages of Dire Straits criticism now and not one mention of Twisting By the Pool, I realise it's not their most famous but it's shitness deserves it being mentioned in passing at least.

thugler

Thread has too many silly opinions about perfectly good songs that people have heard a bit too often.

Aerosmith - don't wanna miss a thing
Genesis - i can't dance

The Mollusk

"I Can't Dance" is a fucking banger mate sorry. You'll be coming for "Owner of a Lonely Heart" next!

batwings

I love Underworld but can't stand Born Slippy.

Kankurette

Pearl's Girl is better.
Quote from: Rev+ on July 31, 2022, 01:11:49 AMDebaser wasn't a single, somewhat amazingly.  It did eventually get released when they put out a best-of when they reformed.
Hat fucked. I always assumed it was because it got played a lot in rock clubs.

Kankurette

Fidelity isn't shite, except when Regina Spektor decides to pretend she's a Cockney (and she does it in Chemo Limo as well, annoyingly), but she's done way better songs.

the science eel

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2022, 09:16:45 AM"I Can't Dance" is a fucking banger mate sorry. You'll be coming for "Owner of a Lonely Heart" next!

'I Can't Dance' is old dog's wet arse.

'Owner' is butterfly at dawn

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: thugler on July 31, 2022, 08:31:43 AMThread has too many silly opinions about perfectly good songs that people have heard a bit too often.

Aerosmith - don't wanna miss a thing
Genesis - i can't dance

"their most famous song... ", which doesn't apply to either of these.

dissolute ocelot

Dream On is top of Spotify's Aerosmith list. As someone who grew up in the 80s, I'd have thought Walk This Way (#3) or Dude Looks Like A Lady (#7), which were a long time before I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing (#2), which was itself a long time ago now. I wouldn't say Aerosmith are a good band though.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 31, 2022, 02:39:47 PMDream On is top of Spotify's Aerosmith list. As someone who grew up in the 80s, I'd have thought Walk This Way (#3) or Dude Looks Like A Lady (#7), which were a long time before I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing (#2), which was itself a long time ago now. I wouldn't say Aerosmith are a good band though.

I'm not sure how Spotify's ranking works - Dream On is at #1 with 626m plays, and Don't Want to Miss A Thing is #2 with 728m plays.

thugler

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 31, 2022, 01:49:31 PM"their most famous song... ", which doesn't apply to either of these.

Not sure what that even means

Famous Mortimer

The Mollusk

Do Aerosmith have any songs that aren't shite?

Don't reply with serious intent to this I will not be listening to Aerosmith cheers

Goldentony

throwing a defense in for I Can't Dance too, that louder snare later in the song?? get fucked all you get fucked, listen to it, IIII CANT [DOYSHHHHHHHH] IIII CANT [DOYYYSHHHHH] and the fucking DANCE. Banger confirmed, cigs/arse.

Goldentony

pictured: the lamb lying down on broadway -

Spoiler alert
[close]

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Rev+ on July 31, 2022, 01:17:27 AM

Good memories laffing at this with a friend and cracking up at the part that should be P I X I E S. legitimately funny and Bowies love of the band was pure, can't hate it

Rev+

Oh yeah, there's an enthusiasm to it that makes it very difficult to properly dislike.  I mean, it's shite, but endearingly shite.

I tend to think of Pixies as being a band that's immune to cover versions.  There's solid songwriting of course, but so much of it is down to the execution.