Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

their most famous song is SHITE

Started by the science eel, July 22, 2022, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 23, 2022, 04:34:03 PMHappy Valentine's Day was the real gem on The Love Below, a 21st century Alphabet Street.
I've often said that The Love Below got the plaudits but Speakerboxx was the better disc by miles.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: kalowski on July 23, 2022, 05:03:04 PMI've often said that The Love Below got the plaudits but Speakerboxx was the better disc by miles.

Agreed. Speakerboxx got a bit overshadowed when Hey Ya got massive which is a shame really

Sebastian Cobb

Hey Ya is better than Miss Jackson imo.

Pink Gregory

having undergone a bit of a personal critical reevaluation of Mr. N. Cave and his Seeds, Bad; have come to the conclusion that Red Right Hand is bobbins.

Airless, nursing home shuffle of a song, aggressively mid tempo, four good lines in the whole thing, perfectly adequate middle bit.

In fact other than Loverman that whole record is rubbish. 

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 23, 2022, 05:26:50 PMhaving undergone a bit of a personal critical reevaluation of Mr. N. Cave and his Seeds, Bad; have come to the conclusion that Red Right Hand is bobbins.

Airless, nursing home shuffle of a song, aggressively mid tempo, four good lines in the whole thing, perfectly adequate middle bit.

I heard the Giant Sand cover of Red Right Hand before the original so I've always preferred that one. The Bad Seeds version always seems a bit anaemic to me.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 23, 2022, 05:32:43 PMI heard the Giant Sand cover of Red Right Hand before the original so I've always preferred that one. The Bad Seeds version always seems a bit anaemic to me.

anaemic is right.  Bloodless.  Stale. 

Can't even imagine a good live version.  Should probably give more time to the Arctic Monkeys version.

the science eel

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 23, 2022, 05:26:50 PMhaving undergone a bit of a personal critical reevaluation of Mr. N. Cave and his Seeds, Bad; have come to the conclusion that Red Right Hand is bobbins.

'Do You Love Me?' is fabulous.

I love 'Red Right Hand' too. Im fact I've recently come to like it more than ever. It's a stirring THING rather than a song - the arrangement is perfect.

I'd say 'Into My Arms' might be Cave's most famous song - and LUCKILY that one is definitely a dreary stack of used laundry.

the science eel

anyway - 'nursing home shuffle' describes most of his output

dontpaintyourteeth

The older I get the more I prefer The Birthday Party.

jamiefairlie

It's the most likely course of events though isn't it? The blandest, shittiest song will appeal to the most people in general.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Jollity on July 23, 2022, 04:32:01 PMI agree about Outkast. "Hey Ya" is an incredibly dreary sounding song to me, and I don't see why people think it sounds upbeat.

its intentional.  Andre 3000 was well into the Smiths and Kate Bush at the time iirc and probably wanted his own canon entry in the "catchy hook but downbeat and fatalistic" catalogue

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 23, 2022, 01:41:24 PMDon't really like I Hate you so Much Right Now or Milkshake but Kelis has some otherwise great stuff (mostly on Food).

Trick Me was miles better than Milkshake, gratifying that she owned the weak retro indie of the time with that andy gill sounding guitar part

she's always got a very raw deal. her best stuff is ace but her records always sound overly mediated. that unreleased timbaland track makes it think she couldve done far better than she did even though I dont think I dislike anything of hers other than Flesh Tone which is the ultimate "looks good on paper" pop album

at least she got do to Food which is tight

Pink Gregory

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 23, 2022, 06:00:38 PMThe older I get the more I prefer The Birthday Party.

Same, From Her to Eternity is my new favourite.  Swaps places with Abbatoir Blues frequently though so it's not linear.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 23, 2022, 06:27:53 PMTrick Me was miles better than Milkshake, gratifying that she owned the weak retro indie of the time with that andy gill sounding guitar part

she's always got a very raw deal. her best stuff is ace but her records always sound overly mediated. that unreleased timbaland track makes it think she couldve done far better than she did even though I dont think I dislike anything of hers other than Flesh Tone which is the ultimate "looks good on paper" pop album

at least she got do to Food which is tight

Kind of like Keep it Down off Tasty. It all feels like her stuff has to form some sort of theme when she should have been allowed to do some epic genre-crossing album, like they let the pop divas do.

dontpaintyourteeth

Most Kelis stuff is good, besides Kelis Was Here, which is one of the worst albums I've ever heard. Quite perplexing that one. Kaleidoscope and Food in particular are both class.

kalowski

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 23, 2022, 05:43:42 PManaemic is right.  Bloodless.  Stale. 

Can't even imagine a good live version.  Should probably give more time to the Arctic Monkeys version.
I saw him do it at the Manchester Apollo, probably 15 years ago, and it was fantastic!

Catalogue Trousers

George Ezra. Shotgun.

The soundtrack to a particularly dreary gap-year holiday taken by a spoilt little upper-middle-class turd smugly declaring to anyone who'll listen that he does drugs, y'know, did you hear what I said...

Pink Gregory

Quote from: kalowski on July 23, 2022, 07:12:17 PMI saw him do it at the Manchester Apollo, probably 15 years ago, and it was fantastic!

I'd probably a bit more anemable to it live, but it would be far from my main event.  Mainly came with my realisation that I really don't like Let Love In.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 23, 2022, 07:02:56 PMshe should have been allowed to do some epic genre-crossing album, like they let the pop divas do.

definitely. always disappointed she never got diva or star status. that's why Flesh Tone was disappointing since it seemed like a play for that and it was a bit of a faceplant.

Video Game Fan 2000

Trash by Suede, don't like it at all
Sebadoh and Dinosaur Jrs "hits" can mostly fuck off
Todd Rundgren and that song about drums

Sebastian Cobb

Fools Gold is one of the wankest Stone Roses tracks.

They bollocksed Eliphant Stone by adding the wah, which meant imbeciles moaned when you stuck the better version on that accentuated the drums.

The Mollusk

Quote from: kalowski on July 23, 2022, 07:12:17 PMI saw him do it at the Manchester Apollo, probably 15 years ago, and it was fantastic!

I saw him play it in Barcelona in May and the crowd were fuckin wild for it, was electric. The clang of the bell is massively effective after a whole crowd barks the title of the chorus line.

Also surely "Straight To You" is more of a dirge than "Into My Arms" which is a fuckin beautiful song. You people are animals, you make me sick.

Video Game Fan 2000

Straight To You is awful yeah. I can't stand Ship Song either.

Kankurette

Quote from: the science eel on July 23, 2022, 05:55:20 PM'Do You Love Me?' is fabulous.
Agreed, and I've never seen the bastard do it live. My Ruin's version is boss too.

jobotic

I think Hey Ya, Milkshake and I Hate You So Much Right Now are brilliant. What's wrong with you?

And some od these are songs by shite artists so of course they're shite.

Obvious person whose most famous songs are not his best is Elvis Presley

Greg Torso

Let Love In is great you bald bastards

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: jobotic on July 23, 2022, 11:20:03 PMObvious person whose most famous songs are not his best is Elvis Presley

True, albeit with Suspicious Minds being the exception that proves the rule.

Chollis

i don't even particularly like Hey Ya because y'know, it was fucking everywhere and we've all heard that chorus way too many times. but you've got to hand it to them haven't you? it's a crackin popper. something for grandma jane and little timmy to nod their head to. "dreary" is an interesting word to describe it. and when i say interesting i mean wrong.

PaulTMA