Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:10:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Gray Man, Netflix, Russo Bros starring Rodders and Cap America

Started by Dr Rock, July 26, 2022, 06:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I found this a blast. Non-stop dumb action, with some homage to Commando as far as I could tell. Gosling is likeable, Steve Roger is a dick, ch-ch-ch-ch-check it out!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Lord Mandrake

Hated. Action was fuuuucked, incomprehensible.. Gosling looked bored and I don't buy him as a hard man. Evans came straight off the set of Knives out and stayed in that charachter. The Russo's gone to shit. Extraction is far superior.

The Mollusk

Really don't think they should be turning Albert Fish into a film like this, it seems in poor taste. Hope they ran it by his estate first.

madhair60

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 26, 2022, 09:23:58 PMReally don't think they should be turning Albert Fish into a film like this, it seems in poor taste. Hope they ran it by his estate first.

Guy was a real jerk.

Cuellar

Mobius

I've read all the Gray Man books and really enjoyed them. But I would be amazed if a film/tv adaption is anything other than mediocre and I say that as a fan of the source material...

Is Billy Bob Thornton's character American? Because Donald Fitzroy (Courtland Gentry's handler) is meant to be English. He works for mi5 not the CIA, and is in fact a 'Sir'

The books are genuinely a decent read if you are into the Tom Clancy / Jack Bauer sort of stuff, and they aren't massively patriotic military wankfests like, say, Terminal List.

Blinder Data

Just checked on wiki and this dumb action film is 129 minutes long. I'm not watching it on principle.

Butchers Blind

Nonsensical plot and action scenes cut and pasted from the likes of yer John Wicks. A sequel already in the works.

I enjoyed it.  Dumb fun.  I thought Gosling was slightly miscast but loved Captain America as the baddie.  You could tell he was having fun playing that role.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 27, 2022, 12:06:18 PMJust checked on wiki and this dumb action film is 129 minutes long. I'm not watching it on principle.

Proof:

Commando: 1h30m
Predator: 1h47m
Total Recall: 1h53m
The Terminator: 1h47m
The Running Man: 1h41m

True Lies: 2h24m

Blue Jam

"We've got a very small window to take out a very bad dude"

Oh this is fun

Blue Jam

Head Gardener

gave up after 10 struggling minutes and I normally like this kind of shit, my teenager lambasted me for even attempting to watch it

Fry

Was genuinely amazed by the amount of incredibly worn out tropes played completely straight, all stuffed into one feature length film. I mean, the sheer laziness in having the climax be the main baddie doing the "were not so different, you and I" speech shortly after dragging the young femmale hostage into a darkened hedge maze is astounding. Was there a single action movie cliche that wasn't included?

Fry

I loved how whenever they described why the bad CIA guy was so bad, it was just a list of shit the CIA does anyway but with the adjective "unsanctioned" to imply it was especially bad because it was for his own advancement, rather than for the advancement of a few dickheads sitting on top of mountains of wealth.

"He took part in regime change, the murder of civilians and false flag operations WITHOUT DADDIES PERMISSION."

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 27, 2022, 12:06:18 PMJust checked on wiki and this dumb action film is 129 minutes long. I'm not watching it on principle.

1.25x speed, sorted

Dex Sawash

Watches like one of those graphic novel filmizations. Too hungry for chicken wings to keep watching.

Blue Jam

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 28, 2022, 09:15:43 PM"We've got a very small window to take out a very bad dude"

Oh this is fun
You only need a tiny window to fit a gun through. Or are they planning to take the bad guy to his high school prom to cheer him up?

MojoJojo

I enjoyed this, but it did feel like it needed a section cut out. Maybe the terminally I'll woman, or the trap door bloke.

Also, the second heroic sacrifice was unnecessary.

Mobius

Finally got around to watching this, and it wasn't too bad as far as generic tropey action movies go I suppose.

My main takeaway was, just after Grey Man escaped the hole that was filling with water and after the explosion, the woman one shot Chris Evans baddy with a tranquillizer and he was laying on the floor unconscious and then they just ran away. Well why didn't they put a bullet in Chris Evans head because Grey Man had literally just said "well that's Lloyd, the guy who is trying to kill me and hired all these dudes"

Mr Trumpet

The title makes me think of that guy in the second(?) series of Hunted on Channel 4 who ended up winning because he was polite to everyone and boringly undistinctive.

Twit 2

aunt mildred

Not watching any film that can't spell gre6 properly. I originally thought everybody was banging on about https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0934452/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 which also looks bad.

Just had a proper look at that imdb listing and it's got Olivia Coleman and Daisy Donovan in it, looks like a cracker. I'm going to have to try and find it.

phantom_power

I thought it was fine. Very by the numbers but the action was good, Chris Evans seemed to be having a great time and I quite enjoy Ryan Gosling's blank stoicism