Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best introductions to songs

Started by Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead, July 29, 2022, 10:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

oh also I want to add Scud Attack by Painkiller which starts with one of them yelling what sounds like WHAAAAAT ARE THEY DOING TO MEEEEEEEEEE? OH MY GOD, OHHHHHHHHH!

Goldentony

and a vote for the KISS cover of The Rolling Stones 2000 man, prefer the KISS version as a whole but the intro's great, totally different type of song under KISS, verse and first chorus last the intro then it all kicks in - https://youtu.be/Z9SOteJezQI

probably personally enjoyed the Unplugged version more because everyone gets excited - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9xjboGmsk

KISS are so fucking stupid, love them. Type the name in caps and everything.

EDIT since i'm doing Kiss, also love the start of King Of The Night Time World intro from Alive II - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4X9pYZgN5k

Brundle-Fly

Mournful church organ, pounding Linn drums, squelchy synth funk noises and Fem-Bot doo-wop vox.

IN!

pupshaw

From a certain era and genre...

School's Out
Ballroom Blitz
Tiger Feet
20th Century Boy
Come Up and See Me (Make Me Smile)

jobotic

The MC, the brass and then when BB comes in....wow

Goldentony

Quote from: pupshaw on July 30, 2022, 10:07:01 PMFrom a certain era and genre...

School's Out
Ballroom Blitz
Tiger Feet
20th Century Boy
Come Up and See Me (Make Me Smile)

feel like it's nearly impossible to make a bad song with the basic ingredients of a glam tune

jobotic

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 30, 2022, 04:36:47 PMBasically any song that starts with a scintillating drum fill or beat, or any song that starts with some wild cunt screaming something or just some grinding horrible noise, those songs are guaranteed to be the best songs ever made

Here's a scream, a horrible noise and Barry manilow for the outro

bushwick

How the hell did I forget this? Fuckin big lad intro. Soundtracked a lot of my teenage acid trips. (The Orbital track that samples it is their worst song IMO, dunno why they did it).

Video Game Fan 2000

Hard to pick just one Bob Mould number, he can really make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Chartered Trips, Eight Miles High, Its Not Peculiar...

studpuppet

Quote from: bushwick on July 30, 2022, 11:35:07 PMHow the hell did I forget this? Fuckin big lad intro. Soundtracked a lot of my teenage acid trips. (The Orbital track that samples it is their worst song IMO, dunno why they did it).

Was about to post this - the live versions are always a little different but normally variations on this theme:

Video Game Fan 2000

the science eel

ProvanFan

Some people say I look like me dad

ProvanFan

Glyn

From a band who enjoy using samples in intros I think this is the best one

SteveDave

"Well well ladies and gentlemen thank you for your kind indulgence and for this evening's next selection I'd be proud to present a song that was co-written by my mother entitled "I Got My Cock In My Pocket" A-ONE! TWO! FUCK YOU PRICKS!"

SteveDave

And of course

"SCREAM DRACULA SCREAM! YOU LOWDOWN MOTHERFUCKER!!"

Lord Mandrake

On the and of 2? Not sure.

Timbale solo also killllls.

Kankurette

The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears by Machine Head, purely because I always associate it with going the Metal Pig night in Chester. As soon as the drums kick in, I leg it onto the dance floor.

And apologies, but the intro to The Ballad of Tom Jones is quite possible one of my favourite intros of all time.

Kankurette

Quote from: Glyn on July 31, 2022, 09:49:27 AMFrom a band who enjoy using samples in intros I think this is the best one

If we're talking Manics intros, it has to be Archives of Pain for me, Clive.

Video Game Fan 2000

gross song but i love the opening to Zep's Sick Again, as soon as Plant's packet of fags voice kicks in I feel like I'm never going to be clean again

Spiteface

I'm a sucker for any song that uses thunder and rainfall at the beginning.

For example:

And this:

I also like this, which is the most Peter Hook thing that Peter Hook has ever done, and it never appears beyond the start of the song:

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: bushwick on July 30, 2022, 11:35:07 PMHow the hell did I forget this? Fuckin big lad intro. Soundtracked a lot of my teenage acid trips. (The Orbital track that samples it is their worst song IMO, dunno why they did it).

That might be the ur-example of what is my favorite musical "thing," the fade-in. It's rare when one of those doesn't tickle me to my marrow somehow. I mean, "Eight Days a Week," "Out of the Blue," "Tales from the Riverbank," "Sleeping Gas," and at least a dozen others that are escaping the memory trap at the mo'...

Jockice

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 30, 2022, 11:47:01 PM

Hard to pick just one Bob Mould number, he can really make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Chartered Trips, Eight Miles High, Its Not Peculiar...

Much as I'm very fond of Bob Mould, Real World by Buzzcocks (one of his main influences) has a much better into.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 31, 2022, 09:00:13 PM. I mean, "Eight Days a Week,"

fucking yes. I remember listening to this on cassette and wondering how it must have sounded at the time

maybe the feedback whine from I Feel Fine or the Hard Days Night chord are more significant but Eight Days A Week must have sounded like a broadcast from the future. You could draw a line from the warbling, fade-in sound and heartbeat throb to shoegaze and ambient pop, maybe, kinda?

Quote from: Jockice on July 31, 2022, 09:04:01 PMMuch as I'm very fond of Bob Mould, Real World by Buzzcocks (one of his main influences) has a much better into.

If I had to pick a Buzzcocks song for the intro I'd say ESP.

the science eel