Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Supermassive Black Hole in your wallet: Muse release NFT album

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, August 01, 2022, 03:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Qunt

I was playing the air bongos with your mother last night.

Crenners

Unbelievably shit twiddling for IT drones, prog divorcees and automata. I'm not a judgemental person but it's a facsimile of human expression for pallid tossers. Fine if it stops them blowing their mango-sized brains out over a game of Magic The Gathering but almost nobody would notice if they did anyway. You can't get any shitter than this frigging crap.

idunnosomename

It's amazing how they build up to the riff in New Born like it's going to be a MONSTER FACE MELTER THAT'S GOING TO TEAR SHIT UP and then it's just servicable at best.

Here he gets so excited playing it at Wembley he slides on his knees across the stage

This was 2010 and Peter Kay had already done his bit about this so no excuse really

popcorn

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 02, 2022, 04:41:19 PMIt's amazing how they build up to the riff in New Born like it's going to be a MONSTER FACE MELTER THAT'S GOING TO TEAR SHIT UP and then it's just servicable at best.

Hang on, hang on, hang on. When I was 14 that riff really did tear my shit up. I still think it's a cracking song.

Loads of Muse's earlier stuff is excellent. Really efficient, effective song constructions. Brick shithouses of riffs, choruses, callbacks and escalations. Hyper Music, Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, Apocalypse Please, that stuff is all wicked.

shame they've been releasing wall-to-wall stinkers for about 15 years now.

ProvanFan

I was quite excited by those Origin of Symmetry singles as a 14 year old too. I can still see why I was, but nevertheless I would like to erase this from history.

Also enjoyed their set at T in the Park 2001. Less so their return in 2004 when I had all but disowned them. Bowie had cancelled, I wasn't going to watch the Darkness who had been bumped up to main stage headliner in lieu of a replacement, and I couldn't get into the slam tent for Basement Jaxx. So I stood at the back for Muse, blaming them for everything.

The Mollusk

"Plug In Baby" is a fucking great song. Come see me do it at karaoke, I'll prove it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Don't really listen to them now but I used to a lot and every now and then I remember some of their stuff and go 'oh yeah them'. Matt Bellamy is also one of my favourite singers to do an impression of with his silly smushy lips warbling. MAAH PWUG IN BYEHBEEEUH

purlieu

I found they had a one-good-album-one-bad-album run for quite a while. Other than a couple of singles I hate their debut, but Origin of Symmetry has some bangers. Absolution is a nasty angst-fest - I'm sure Matt uses the same interval between notes on every song and I wish I had the theory knowledge to back it up - except one song, I think it might be 'Endlessly'? I thought Black Holes and Revelations was quite fun, especially the utterly daft 'Knights of Cydonia', which was the first time they showed they could do OTT stuff with a sense of humour. The Resistance was largely abysmal. The 2nd Law has somehow ended up my go-to Muse album, possibly because of the big daft Queen-like songs ('Big Freeze' is lovely) and a couple of genuinely very pretty songs in the middle, as well as a great instrumental at the end. Ok, the dubstep track is shit, and the songs where the bassist sings are ludicrously boring, but I like the rest. Then Drones was back to bad metal riffs and angst again. I never did listen to that one with the synthwave cover, although it looked like it was going to be Knowingly Silly Muse again. I hear the new one is going to be their heaviest yet, so I'm sure it'll be bad. Stick to pretending to be Queen, guys, I like your pop.

ProvanFan

idunnosomename

i like Plug In Baby's baroque pedal riff but sorry I always thought the New Born riff is not very good for how much they egg it up. I mean it's not bad but it sounds like it's going to be Leper Messiah or something. it's just the way it ends on those two chords, it's not really satisfying. well for me. if you like it i do not mind at all of course!!!

imo they were one of the better bands being pushed on music video channels around 2000. but actually looking now the only Origin of Symmetry song they play anymore is Plug In Baby. Black Holes and Revelations seems to be their central canon classic. So criticising that is really an aside to the massive wallies they've grown into

PlanktonSideburns

Kankurette

PlanktonSideburns

So what mad shit do the band that sound like how being in your uncles Volvo on a winters industrial estate gagging on air freshener feels believe?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Kankurette on August 02, 2022, 11:28:25 PMThey don't play Cave anymore? Cunts.
not since 2010 it seems

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/muse-53d6ebd5.html?songid=13d68105

interesting how they've abandoned their first album. but yeah could say the same for Queen, who just play one song off Queen II (their best album) and nothing off the debut in the late 80s. but Queen are fucking great and these lads are a bunch of fannies who slide about on their knees like they're kids at a wedding

The Mollusk

I feel like it doesn't get mentioned enough that some of Origin of Symmetry is also really let down by the production. "Citizen Erased" is such a good song but it sounds like it's been wrapped in a shitty blanket and chucked in a pond.

The Mollusk

Also slapping a gushing OTT cover of "Feeling Good" on the end of your album - not even the final track as a bonus, the penultimate song lads, really? - isn't a good move but hey at least it's not this

lol

idunnosomename

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 03, 2022, 07:03:12 AMI feel like it doesn't get mentioned enough that some of Origin of Symmetry is also really let down by the production. "Citizen Erased" is such a good song but it sounds like it's been wrapped in a shitty blanket and chucked in a pond.
that's because after initially landing David Bottrill to do four tracks he was poached back by Tool for Lateralus and they had to go back to the first album guy. I guess

popcorn

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 03, 2022, 11:17:38 AMthat's because after initially landing David Bottrill to do four tracks he was poached back by Tool for Lateralus and they had to go back to the first album guy. I guess

John Leckie. I don't think he's exactly viewed as a 2-bit producer is he?

popcorn

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 03, 2022, 07:12:33 AMAlso slapping a gushing OTT cover of "Feeling Good" on the end of your album - not even the final track as a bonus, the penultimate song lads, really? - isn't a good move

It's fantastic, it really suits the bombastic-but-structured thing they were doing at the time, and it's also funny in the way Muse stuff so often isn't when it badly needs to be. And perfectly placed on the album!

I like the 1994 single art for the Nina Simone version.

purlieu

That cover is the funniest slice of real life desolation I've seen in a very long time.

badaids

I thought that all Muse albums had been released as NFTs?

If NFT stands for No Fucking Tunes.

dontpaintyourteeth

I haven't heard anything they've done since about 2006

The cover of the Drones album is absolutely hilarious though. Almost makes me want to listen to it. But I probably won't.

NFTs are, how you say, shit for cunts

DJ Bob Hoskins

I'd just like to let you all know that despite me saying in the opening post that this thread should not be about Muse's musical output, I'm pleased that many posters would seem to agree with my privately-held opinions on their oeuvre (which I shall not be revealing here).

Over the years, I've matured enough to know that there's nothing to be gained by me making snooty remarks about some popular band whom I might not be a fan of. Who am I to belittle others' tastes? Millions of people might derive great pleasure from the music of said hypothetical band. I don't want to take that away from them, even if that music happens to be a load of meaningless, pretentious vaudeville shit for cunts played by some squealing tosser with a Kaoss Pad built into his guitar.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on August 03, 2022, 10:04:07 PMa load of meaningless, pretentious vaudeville shit for cunts played by some squealing tosser

I didn't realise this was a Cardiacs thread!!!!!!!

idunnosomename

Quote from: popcorn on August 03, 2022, 11:40:46 AMJohn Leckie. I don't think he's exactly viewed as a 2-bit producer is he?
wow shouldve looked that up. of course not. still, does seem a bit of an all-over the place recording/production after the initial sessions.

Ferris

Personally I hope they make a few bob so the main lad doesn't have to keep playing those awful-looking knockoff telecasters.

Ferris

dontpaintyourteeth

this cunt better call the next Muse album META-CENTRISM. Big sci-fi 'both sides are as bad as each other' album art please. Maybe include a robot Starmer