Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:47:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rebellion Festival 2022

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, August 04, 2022, 02:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Starts today. Is our very own Kankurette there even as we speak?
Some quite surprising bands in the line up : The Wedding Present seem quite and odd choice for a start, I mean they're hardly Peter and the Test Tube Babies, are they? Other unlikely acts include Hawkwind and Squeeze(!). Even Toyah seems slightly out of place on that bill, as surprising an inclusion as the exclusion of the UK Subs.

ETA:, Oh, UK Subs * are* on the bill, would be a bit weird if they weren't.
Any comments on this? Anyone actually going to this? Any comments on other unlikely bands sharing billings at other festivals?

cosmic-hearse

Surely Cock Sparrer are headlining, TV Smith is on the acoustic stage & there's an array of classic US hardcore bands.

I've never been to Rebellion, but I remember a few years ago seeing the following headliners advertised:

PiL
Agnostic Front
The Animals

It felt like time had collapsed in on itself.

dontpaintyourteeth

Feel a bit sorry for Hawkwind being beneath the Levellers on the bill, in a just world they'd be as revered as Can or Roxy Music or Magma or [name your own canonical 70s band]. Fair play to Dave Brock for carrying on going though I suppose

sevendaughters

just checked the line-up and surprised that our drummer isn't playing with one of his dozen or so bands.

some good bands names I've never heard a note by: Surgery Without Research, Kicked in the Teeth, The Meffs, Tiger Sex.

should I ever listen to Drongos For Europe? My mind imagines them as a kind of lost Fall/KUKL/Ceramic Hobs type band but also maybe they are utterly lumpen PUNX shit.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 04, 2022, 08:28:32 PMjust checked the line-up and surprised that our drummer isn't playing with one of his dozen or so bands.

some good bands names I've never heard a note by: Surgery Without Research, Kicked in the Teeth, The Meffs, Tiger Sex.

should I ever listen to Drongos For Europe? My mind imagines them as a kind of lost Fall/KUKL/Ceramic Hobs type band but also maybe they are utterly lumpen PUNX shit.

Drongos for Europe did a couple of 7" singles in the early eighties that were alright, Death's a Career and Eternity. Nothing amazing though.

Kankurette

I didn't go the festival last night as I was at a pub quiz and not too arsed about the Levellers, but it's the Stranglers tonight.

I'm intrigued by the new stage they have on the comedy carpet. Squeeze are the band I most want to see and tbh they're kind of new wavey so I don't think there's anything weird about them being here. It's not just punk, they've had HMHB and Space in the past. Toyah's done it a few times, as have UK Subs - you see a lot of the same bands. The Northern Irish Big 3 are all playing, you'll usually get at least one of them (Stiff Little Fingers, the Defects and the Outcasts).

Kankurette

Well, the Stranglers were fun, though I did feel sad seeing them without Dave. JJ's the only original Strangler now.

Two things that are pissing me off this year:
1. My fibromyalgia/arthritis is worse. My back is in bits and it means the number of bands I can see is limited because I'm in a lot of pain. Standing up for hours hurts and I get tired more easily. Having chronic pain at 38 and having to leave early is not very punk, I know, but I can't enjoy myself when my back, hips and legs are hurting like hell.
2. The accessibility is awful this year. You can only go in one entrance at the Winter Gardens and it's round the back and it's a pain in the arse because of the queue and having to walk through a little corridor.

peteprodge

I was there, as  first timer. Not to Blackpool, but to Rebellion...

Stranglers were absolutely banging, really tight and delivered the goods. Probably my favourite.

By sheer contrast, Buzzcocks were utterly woeful. Not even at the level of a tribute act, more like a pub covers band in the guise (and sound) of a third division Britpop band. I really was looking forward to this, but it was dire, and their sound mix didn't help matters.

Never seen Hawkwind before, I was expecting a lot more than what seemed to be an elongated soundcheck.

Always wanted to see Jilted John, never expected the act to be as funny as it was, that was a real pick-me-up. I would heavily recommend. My friend's a huge Toyah fan, we stayed for that and it's odd hearing her stuff played via a live piano. Bruce Foxton And The Conserves were remarkably good. Skids and The Undertones injected a lot of energy into the early Friday evening.

Pop Will Eat Itself are almost close to its original line-up, they did surprisingly well, opening with Ich Bin Ein Auslander and finishing with Their Law (which, naturally, I will praise to the skies). Peter Hook & The Light ram-raided the Joy Division back catalogue. For some reason, Hooky decided to wear a SuperDry t-shirt, like a dad at a bank holiday barbecue. Gary Newalbum was showing off his Numan, which didn't please those who thought it'd be all his 70s/80s classics. He resembled a slim Graham Linehan and actually moved about a bit like a gothic vulture and spewed loads of dry ice.

Dave Lister's ex fronted her 80s band, albeit with all different musicians and was very enthusiastic about being there. Lots of Altered Images stuff, plus a cover of Ting Ting's Not My Name. After never minding the Buzzcocks, the one act I thought that did not belong there at all, really surprised me. I thought Hollie Cook's Lily-Allen-esque laid-back reggae-tinged pop couldn't work and was astounded she was above Buzzcocks, but I'm very happy her set was absolutely solid and there was a lot of skanking going on. Must have surprised the locals going by the North Pier, who probably assumed all punk is green mohawks and shouting "smash the system".

Oh, and Squeeze finished it all off very nicely, even sans Chris Difford.

Indoors, over at the Winter Gardens: Janus Stark had a half-hour set of their usual 'melodic punk' (insert image of Mike Smash here) with only a smattering of new stuff. Suzi Moon is basically the sound of Suzi Quattro fronting any late 90s band that appeared on a Kerrang! cover CD. The Lovely Eggs are absolutely astonishing, very very much surprised me how all their songs (aside from That One Everyone Knows) are full of energy and punch. 999 delivered the goods and actually got the crowd moving. Motorheadache is a very accurate sounding Motorhead tribute act with a slim young Lemmy. Bob Vylan's 1.15am slot had to be moved from an obscurities stage to the Empress Ballroom and even at that time, the whole place got rammed, it was heaving, even as it closed at two in the morning and I had to dash the two miles back to my hotel through the drunks-and-police-filled pavements of the promenade. UK Subs at 7pm Sunday was also heaving, but that's to be expected as they've been going since British Punk Year Zero and literally everyone in Blackpool bumped into Charlie Harper over the past four days - FACT - he was omnipresent.

Unfortunately, the weekend was almost marred by one incident from a local musician. Outside the Winter Gardens, where hundreds of punks gather by the fountain, I saw Blackpool grime MC Afghan Dan involved in a particularly misogynistic and transphobic incident where he almost beat up a drag queen and their 50 year old mother. Naturally, the punks did not welcome this kind of thing and I saw him getting battered by about 2-3 female punks, properly knocked down on the deck and having to be saved by a benevolent male punk (who wisely figured out that the sight of a horde of punks beating a skinny mixed-race guy is not good optics). Even then, being restrained by that guy to escape further beating, Afghan Dan was still giving lip to the assembled crowd, like a Fylde Coast version of the Black Knight scene in Quest For The Holy Grail. What a grade A bell-end. He got carted off by security, but from what I heard, got released and went down Church Street still spewing out verbal abuse at women. It's been reported to the police, so fingers crossed.

Anyway, the mainstream-pleasing R-Fest thing going on on the Comedy Carpet area, and the traditional 'Jamie Gobspit And The Terrorisers' roster being in the Winter Gardens actually works out really well. I was quite surprised at the sight of some hardened folk really getting into the more chart-friendly acts.

The one odd thing is that, with about 70% of the ticket buyers being north of 40, audiences are relatively static. All this frantic mayhem spewing out the speakers and the crowds stand there still, looking ahead. 999, Motorheadache, Lovely Eggs and Bob Vylan shook things up, definitely, but for a lot of it, the assembled hordes could have been watching your local council-appointed 'Party In The Park' on a Sunday afternoon.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Great bit of reporting there, thanks Pete.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on August 05, 2022, 04:47:29 AMThe Northern Irish Big 3 are all playing, you'll usually get at least one of them (Stiff Little Fingers, the Defects and the Outcasts).

(Cough) The Undertones.

Kankurette

Yeah, I saw them but they don't play as often as the Outcasts, the Defects and Stiff Little Fingers do, hence why I left them out. They might have played before but not when I've been.

I'm glad I missed the Buzzcocks if they were that shit. Tbh while I like them, I didn't want to see them without Pete Shelley. The Stranglers at least still have JJ but the Buzzcocks are basically a tribute act now. I didn't watch PWEI but was going for a walk on the pier while they were on and could hear them very well, and danced like a twat to Defcon One. I'm devvoed I missed Bob Vylan, but 1) I was knackered and in pain, and 2) I was in a really bad mood due to someone being a massive cunt to me in another thread. A mate of mine tried to invade the stage during Bob Vylan's set, but, in their words, was thwarted by their tiny hobbit legs. I didn't know about the Afghan Dan thing either. Cunt.

I did spend a lot of time at R-Fest but saw some decent acts in the Wintergardens - Rumkicks, Cundeez, the Defects, Bull Brigade and a Chilean band whose name I can't remember. I would have liked to have seen Maid of Ace as they play every year and they're a lot of fun, but alas, they clashed with Billy Bragg. Unfortunately, I missed Pete Bentham and the Dinnerladies and Spizzenergi as well, though in the latter's case I did have an excuse as I was seeing my family who I was staying with.

peteprodge

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 10:15:28 AM...the Buzzcocks are basically a tribute act now.

No, they really were not that good. Much much worse.

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 10:15:28 AMI'm devvoed I missed Bob Vylan, but 1) I was knackered and in pain, and 2) I was in a really bad mood due to someone being a massive cunt to me in another thread. A mate of mine tried to invade the stage during Bob Vylan's set, but, in their words, was thwarted by their tiny hobbit legs.

Being near the front and properly in the pit all the way through it, I was helping folk out over the barrier to get on that stage and by the time I got ready to go over, it was too full. I'm personally gutted about that, as the Empress Ballroom was the first stage I ever graced, way back in 1983 when I was eight years old. (Some children's entertainer asked for kids to join him on stage as part of some song. I was quite surprised at the way stage lights dazzle you and you can barely see the audience.) But still, Bob Vylan was astonishing and had a truly active crowd.

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 10:15:28 AMI didn't know about the Afghan Dan thing either. Cunt.

I do think he was on something that was 'street medicinal', ahem. Quite shaky and angry. Mind you, he had been pummelled by a horde of female punks, yelling at him for being a transphobic tosswit, which could have contributed to that. "You lot f--k your sisters" was the repeated phrase he hurled at the assembled hordes of Rebellion attendees, while in an armlock. Hmm, even Sophie Aspin and Millie B had better 'sends' than that. Dan, you're yesterday's man.

Bad Manners and The Only Ones confirmed for 2023. I think it's 99% certain I'll return.

Kankurette

Did Bob Vylan get any abuse from the crowd? It's happened at some of their gigs, though not the one I went to (not least because it was my first post-lockdown gig and we were all relieved to be back).

Afghan Dan sounds like a Grade A tool. I mean, you turn up at a punk festival ranting about women and trans people, what do you expect? I know not everyone at Rebellion is right-on (btw what is the deal with Resistance 77? Are they far right? I think some of their fans got into a barney with the Menstrual Cramps at another gig) but it is generally an inclusive festival.

Tbh I will probably end up going next year whether R-Fest is a thing or not, 1) because it's a nice opportunity to stay with my auntie and uncle who live in St Annes (as I said upthread, they roped me into a pub quiz on Thursday and I missed the Levellers for it, and we came second because the winning team are cheating shitbag cunts) and 2) because there's always someone I like playing and it's fun checking out the up-and-coming bands. Did you catch either of the Indonesian ones? I was worried Brexit might dick the festival over on that front but it hasn't. I didn't get to any of the Literature Stage bits but the Women in Punk panel sounded disappointing. Also missed Attila for the first time ever, usually I see him because he comes across as a GBOL (and plays a mean recorder).

ETA: if the Specials play Rebellion/R-Fest I might actually die. They and Half Man Half Biscuit are the bands I want to see at Rebellion who I haven't seen play there yet (I'd love Space to do it again but I doubt they will because Attack of the Mutant 50ft Kebab was a one-off, though I did see Phil and Allan's side project, Super Fast Girlie Show, a few years ago at my first Rebellion when I only went for a day).

Neomod

No 4Skins? No thankyou.

Jeez, the Last Resort are playing. I used to get Christmas cards from the east-end shop they were named after.

I also see Kirk Brandon is getting paid twice.

Nice one Kirk.

Kankurette

I feel like one of the few Rebellion punters who isn't arsed about UK Subs.

peteprodge

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 11:07:28 AMDid Bob Vylan get any abuse from the crowd? It's happened at some of their gigs

Not in the slightest. Mind you, when it's a totally packed floor and balcony at 1:15am, the folk there are obviously committed to seeing it. No other band on at that time, so it's not like you can accidentally stumble on it. There was some bell-end on the official Rebellion Facebook post about it (change of stage), moaning that Rebellion doesn't need "woke" bands. Imagine his rage when he finally hears The Clash or The Specials.

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 11:07:28 AMAfghan Dan sounds like a Grade A tool. I mean, you turn up at a punk festival ranting about women and trans people, what do you expect?

Well, he wasn't there for the festival, he was walking down Church Street, a bit near Topping Street, going towards the fountains and went full-on mental because of this awesome drag queen on the right...

(They've entered the Facebook group to tell us the details of Afghan Dan Martin's abuse, they and their mum didn't get physically attacked thank goodness, and although they're not a punk, they're really grateful to the scene and they've made lots of new friends with the Rebellion folk, myself included.)

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 11:07:28 AMI know not everyone at Rebellion is right-on (btw what is the deal with Resistance 77? Are they far right?)

Not too sure. Some folk online muttering about Conflict 84 being a bit fash-adjacent. I don't get that whole 'Oi!' stuff, it was like a bad parody of punk, the way punk was ridiculed in early 80s television comedy. I'm into a lot of stuff on the 'spectrum' (for want of a better word), but 'Oi!' is to punk what happy hardcore is to dance - just infantile, repetitive and low-effort.

The Gonads were also there, fronted by that former super soaraway S*n TV critic...

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 11:07:28 AMbut it is generally an inclusive festival.

Yep, doing its best for the less abled.

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 11:07:28 AMTbh I will probably end up going next year whether R-Fest is a thing or not, 1) because it's a nice opportunity to stay with my auntie and uncle who live in St Annes (they roped me into a pub quiz on Thursday and I missed the Levellers for it, and we came second because the winning team are cheating shitbag cunts) and 2) because there's always someone I like playing and it's fun checking out the up-and-coming bands. Did you catch either of the Indonesian ones?

Nah. I named all the bands I caught. About a quarter of the bands I saw were inside, I was mostly with my friend at R-Fest, as she has more mainstream tastes.

Jockice

It's a shame about Buzzcocks if they really were that bad. Because they and The Undertones are the two bands I've loved since my early teens. It's no exaggeration to say they helped keep me alive. Even the use of What Do I Get? in a fucking McDonalds advert didn't stop me listening to them. And I  truly despise McDonalds.

My recent play (spoiler: I've written a play you know*) even has a title adapted from one of their titles and the times I've seen them since they reformed have been great fun. But by the sound of it Shelley was so integral to them that there's no point them carrying on. Although I respect Diggle - and he co-wrote Promises, my favourite song by them -  he was very much the minor talent in that line-up. It's still a shame though.

And while we're at it, people who complain that The Undertones aren't really The Undertones without Feargal up front can fuck off. He played practically no part in the songwriting (he got one co-credit on the second album and that's it) so to suggest that the people who actually wrote them shouldn't be allowed to play them anymore because he's not singing them is just absurd.

(*Two actually. One has already been performed, the other will be soon. And that's all you need to know at the moment.)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm old enough to remember when UK Subs were big chart stars, and seemed to be on Top Of The Pops every other week, with their 7" singles released initially in excitingly different coloured vinyl. Top former Simon Day lookalike Charlie Harper was renowned for being a bit old for this kind of lark, even back then.

Now he's 78 years of age, so fair play for him carrying on. I shudder to think about what the music his band plays sounds ,like nowadays, though. I've seen recent pictures of him, wonder if he wears a wig?

peteprodge

Quote from: Jockice on August 11, 2022, 11:27:39 AMIt's a shame about Buzzcocks if they really were that bad.

There's a sizeable minority on Facebook who are insisting that Buzzcocks were Good Actually And Anyone Saying They Weren't Is Wrong, so there you go, an alternate view. And I really did want them to be good.

Quote from: Jockice on August 11, 2022, 11:27:39 AMAnd while we're at it, people who complain that The Undertones aren't really The Undertones without Feargal up front can fuck off. He played no practically no part in the songwriting (he got one credit on the second album and that's it) so to suggest that the people who actually wrote them shouldn't be allowed to play them anymore is just absurd.

Yeah, I'm only a casual fan, I couldn't tell you who is fronting them now without the use of Google, but it's a confident camp guy who was really different to Sharky Crime Buster Of The Sea, and IMHO, a lot better.

sevendaughters

a pal of mine went (she is dating a musician who played) and said that Toyah is very nice indeed

Jockice

Quote from: peteprodge on August 11, 2022, 11:32:33 AMThere's a sizeable minority on Facebook who are insisting that Buzzcocks were Good Actually And Anyone Saying They Weren't Is Wrong, so there you go, an alternate view. And I really did want them to be good.

Yeah, I'm only a casual fan, I couldn't tell you who is fronting them now without the use of Google, but it's a confident camp guy who was really different to Sharky Crime Buster Of The Sea, and IMHO, a lot better.

Well at the weekend I met an old punky mate who saw Buzzcocks recently and reckoned they were okay, although he moaned that Diggle singing Orgasm Addict just wasn't right. And he also reckons Paul McLoone's a better frontman than Feargal. I'm not sure about that, but he does the job very well indeed.

peteprodge

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 11, 2022, 11:32:39 AMa pal of mine went (she is dating a musician who played) and said that Toyah is very nice indeed

In the first lockdown, I organised a charity Tiswas stream on Twitch (I run the fan club website), where on Saturday mornings we put out a half-hour compilation of old Tiswas clips (not just the usual stuff either), then went live with a different guest (or guests) each week.

I got to interview Toyah one week, and yes, she is absolutely lovely. Really knowledgeable about everything going on in music today, full of anecdotes and also highly clued up on the media industry. We were chatting about her appearances on Tiswas, and her love of it, but went down tangents of conversation, like Kenny Everett parodying her (she loved that!) and what I perceived as the disappearance of TV/radio outlets in Birmingham (she put me straight on that). One of the nicest people I've ever m... well, it was recorded live over Zoom.

Raised £2,500+ for charidee. Got that Chris Tarrant on it. Tiswas FTW...

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 11, 2022, 11:28:20 AMI'm old enough to remember when UK Subs were big chart stars, and seemed to be on Top Of The Pops every other week, with their 7" singles released initially in excitingly different coloured vinyl. Top former Simon Day lookalike Charlie Harper was renowned for being a bit old for this kind of lark, even back then.

Now he's 78 years of age, so fair play for him carrying on. I shudder to think about what the music his band plays sounds ,like nowadays, though. I've seen recent pictures of him, wonder if he wears a wig?

Yeah, some little girl's got a hold on me. She's only 13 but oh so sweet...CANCELLED.

They did change it to 18 for Top Of The Pops though. Bloody sell-outs.

Kankurette

That drag queen has awesome hair, they look like a Thundercat.

As for Rebellion not needing 'woke' bands, I'm wondering if that's a dogwhistle because Bob Vylan are black. If it's a political thing, nobody tell him what lots of punk bands believed (and if he'd seen Billy Bragg or Tom Robinson, he'd have shat himself with rage). I'm not too familiar with Oi!, other than Gary Bushell being involved with it, Sham 69 and I think Cock Sparrer?

ETA: I wasn't paying full attention to the Undertones but whatsit/NotFeargal did a fine job. As did Baz the Strangler. The friend who was at Bob Vylan is a MASSIVE Toyah fan. I think she's one of the reasons why they go regularly. I'm not keen but glad to hear she's a good egg.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: peteprodge on August 11, 2022, 11:39:39 AMIn the first lockdown, I organised a charity Tiswas stream on Twitch (I run the fan club website), where on Saturday mornings we put out a half-hour compilation of old Tiswas clips (not just the usual stuff either), then went live with a different guest (or guests) each week.

I got to interview Toyah one week, and yes, she is absolutely lovely. Really knowledgeable about everything going on in music today, full of anecdotes and also highly clued up on the media industry. We were chatting about her appearances on Tiswas, and her love of it, but went down tangents of conversation, like Kenny Everett parodying her (she loved that!) and what I perceived as the disappearance of TV/radio outlets in Birmingham (she put me straight on that). One of the nicest people I've ever m... well, it was recorded live over Zoom.

Raised £2,500+ for charidee. Got that Chris Tarrant on it. Tiswas FTW...

Is that you ( on the left) in the picture, Pete? Wearing an Idles T- Shirt? On this forum? With their reputation? at three o' clock in the morning? You're a brave man.

peteprodge

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 11, 2022, 11:28:20 AMNow he's 78 years of age, so fair play for him carrying on. I shudder to think about what the music his band plays sounds ,like nowadays, though. I've seen recent pictures of him, wonder if he wears a wig?

Nope! And the day after this photo, he was in town, in the pubs, in the merch stalls, with it dyed turquoise.

I went to see UK Subs, mainly because way back in the mid-90s, I was asked to design and print a poster for a gig of theirs in Kettering, and it was the first time I did any paid graphic design work. Not even sure if the gig ever went ahead (the promoter could fall out with anyone as he was crap with payments), but graphic design is part of my day job now and I briefly told this story to Charlie. He's VERY softly spoken.

Anyway, Empress Ballroom heavily packed for UK Subs, clearly a lot of devoted fans but I didn't feel it really stood out. Sounded like average punk to me, but fair play to Charlie for sticking to it since before Johnny Rotten had five seconds to say something outrageous. Also, the sound in there was mostly crap all weekend.

peteprodge

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 11, 2022, 11:51:23 AMIs that you ( on the left) in the picture, Pete? Wearing an Idles T- Shirt? On this forum? With their reputation? at three o' clock in the morning? You're a brave man.

Heh, yes, I know this forum's utter hatred of Idles and I don't care. Dumb lyrics? I'm fine with them. I'm a Prodigy fan FFS, so I'm used to that.

I've already slated Pet Shop Boys, R.E.M. and some other sacred cows here, so that's my Emperor's New Clothes moment. Idles are ace, saw A LOT of their t-shirts worn at Rebellion. They'd absolutely pack out R-Fest if they were asked.

Kankurette

I think I saw you. I definitely remember a bloke in an IDLES shirt and there were a few of them.

peteprodge

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 12:06:17 PMI think I saw you. I definitely remember a bloke in an IDLES shirt and there were a few of them.

I wore two! That Ultra Mono one on Thursday, and that Georges Méliès' Trip to the Moon one on Saturday. I dyed my hair candy-floss pink by Friday, which is not befitting a gentleman of my age and I did mean it to be more magenta, but it was some piss-weak stuff.

Anyway, I'm only rambling on manically here because I got floored with a heavy COVID-ish cold when driving back on Monday, which I reckon I must have picked up in the Bob Vylan pit. I'm almost recovered, hence the flurry of posts I'd have otherwise put out earlier this week. (LFTs still coming up negative.)

Jockice

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 11, 2022, 11:32:39 AMa pal of mine went (she is dating a musician who played) and said that Toyah is very nice indeed

I interviewed Toyah at an event once and she was a bit snotty with me. Years later her name came up in discussion with another journalist and apparently she was exactly the same with him. Maybe it's just the  provincial press she hates. Which is fair enough.