Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Total Fuckdown for Vinyl Nerds

Started by QDRPHNC, August 06, 2022, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 06, 2022, 05:07:58 PMPlus it was Toblerone shaped. Does the grumpy old sod not put things in his pockets?

Keeps it in his car in case he has to drive to Dundee

Ferris

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on August 06, 2022, 11:08:24 PMLegend has it that Neil Young began his foray into high-res digital audio when he realised that the crappy old stylus in his record player had scratched his LP collection to buggery.

He'd seen the needle and the damage done.

Lovely stuff

DJ Bob Hoskins

Full disclosure: I have the MoFi CD of Murmur by R.E.M. and it really does sound incredible. It's noticeably better than any of the other versions I've heard, at least.

Oh, and IT"S MADE OUT OF 24k GOLD.

imitationleather

Struggling to imagine an R.E.M. album sounding incredible.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 06, 2022, 02:26:51 PMAs someone who got into photography during the film days, there was a long period of time where arguing the relative merits of film vs. digital was fair enough because digital just wasn't good enough. But we're at the point now where digital has unquestionably outclassed film, and I wonder if this MoFi thing might mark bit of a turning point in the vinyl vs. digital "conversation", basically confirming that a lot of people who claimed to tell the difference couldn't tell the difference at all.

I understand loving film and loving vinyl, but these days I think you have to be honest with yourself and admit your love is based on the non-technical aspects.

Good point, and I feel that with audio, the debate should be pretty much over already. Not saying there's anything wrong per se with analogue purism, just that I'm 100% sure that with the right skills & gear it's possible to make a digital recording that would fool even even the most discerning audiophile into believing it was recorded onto wax cylinder in Jack White's shed.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: imitationleather on August 07, 2022, 03:36:39 AMStruggling to imagine an R.E.M. album sounding incredible.

Admittedly that's pretty funny, but before you step out of line again just remember who owns the 24 KARAT GOLD CD around here.

imitationleather

If you enjoyed this joke don't forget me in your will plz

Goldentony

read Murmur as Monster for a second and tried to hand my eyes in to the police

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: imitationleather on August 07, 2022, 03:49:49 AMIf you enjoyed this joke don't forget me in your will plz

Jeez, I'm not made of gold CDs. That thing is my retirement fund.

imitationleather

Yeah but I meant when you were dead. I want that gold CD then.

You're a collector. I am imagining there's not anyone about who will mourn you or whatever.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: imitationleather on August 07, 2022, 04:04:00 AMYou're a collector. I am imagining there's not anyone about who will mourn you or whatever.

That's only partially true; I'm really not a collector.

imitationleather

sardines

The Hoffman discussion is a weird microcosm of what I'd call audio fans over music fans. 600+ pages in and people are now cancelling their $125 Van Halen vinyl reissues. At the same time those paying $40 for the cd versions are laughing like they've won the debate. Surely somebody has to be thinking ahhh but who is the real winner?

kalowski

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 06, 2022, 02:26:51 PMAs someone who got into photography during the film days, there was a long period of time where arguing the relative merits of film vs. digital was fair enough because digital just wasn't good enough. But we're at the point now where digital has unquestionably outclassed film, and I wonder if this MoFi thing might mark bit of a turning point in the vinyl vs. digital "conversation", basically confirming that a lot of people who claimed to tell the difference couldn't tell the difference at all.

I understand loving film and loving vinyl, but these days I think you have to be honest with yourself and admit your love is based on the non-technical aspects.
Exactly.
My enjoyment of vinyl is purely tactile and to do with the lovely process if putting it in, having to listen to each track in order etc.
I am under no illusions that my set up sounds better than even Spotify and my Google Home device.

BlodwynPig

Just a heads up all vinyl nerds - something to get you salivating:

https://patriarchy.bandcamp.com/album/the-unself?from=fanpub_fnb_merch&utm_source=merch_release&utm_medium=email&utm_content=fanpub_fnb_merch&utm_campaign=patriarchy%2Balbum%2Bthe-unself

QuotePre-order this super limited edition pressing of 'The Unself' on clear vinyl with white cum splatter

Sebastian Cobb

Why would I pay for something I could do at home for free?

iamcoop

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on August 07, 2022, 03:36:39 AMStruggling to imagine an R.E.M. album sounding incredible.

Automatic for the People is good you philistine.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: iamcoop on August 07, 2022, 11:46:39 AMAh, something to listen to whilst wearing my £1125 cum shoes.

When you want to signal to all the other dog walkers your dog is randy and you haven't trained it properly.

Ferris

Drunk glue-gun enthusiast crafts cargo-cult running shoes.

QDRPHNC

Reminds me of when someone made this pearl necklace out of gold and sold it on Etsy.

Also, it's been driving me nuts who 45 RPM Audiophile reminds me of, and it just hit me.

Do you listen to music? Because this is an incredible record. This is not a CD. This is a record, Larry. A One-Step.

Sebastian Cobb

Goldentony

is any of the proper good REM available on gold 180gm master tapes? can I stick gold high fidelity 'hear them sweat' album version of Pretty Persuasion or Dont Go Back To Rockville?

Rizla

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 07, 2022, 01:09:30 AMWhat player did I inadvertently talk you into buying?
Got an xDuoo x2s - I wanted the Walnut but couldn't source one, the x is still a lovely thing though. Also onto my 2nd pair of TinHiFi IEMs, thanks to your pointing-out. Outstanding sound for the £.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: pupshaw on August 07, 2022, 06:41:04 PMWhere's that from?

Another forum. I don't know where they got it from.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Goldentony on August 07, 2022, 05:59:28 PMis any of the proper good REM available on gold 180gm master tapes? can I stick gold high fidelity 'hear them sweat' album version of Pretty Persuasion or Dont Go Back To Rockville?

You're in luck!

https://www.discogs.com/release/1787013-REM-Reckoning

I should add that I've never heard this edition so I can't confirm how much sweating is audible. Though I've read you can hear Bill Berry letting out the odd sly squeaker of a fart between drum fills on many of the tracks.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: purlieu on August 06, 2022, 03:55:35 PMThis is the backstory to my utter joy at reading about audiophiles who are adamant that a record is from an analogue master because you can hear the difference, only to later find out that it's actually from a digital master.

The thing is nobody has the time to blind test all these snobs with analogue and digital masters, so they'll persist with this bollocks. I think CDs, vinyl, wav, flac and even some mp3 sound fine. The hardware you play them on and speaker set up has more importance as long as the format was decently recorded.

I've encountered vinyl snobbery in record shops but as soon as Final Scratch came out at the turn of the century the writing was on the wall for vinyl as a DJ format and that was fine with me. Digweed was using CDs in the early 2000s and who knows more about sound, Diggers or some lad hanging around a record shop all day? Sure as long as I can rip a tune off YouTube for free I can live without paying 5 to 10 quid for a single tune on vinyl.