Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nardwuar

Started by bgmnts, August 07, 2022, 08:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Just found out about this guy, mega funny interviewer dude from Canada. Mostly interviews musicians but has done actors and comedians every so often I think. One of his gimmicks is knowing insanely obscure and esoteric facts about the interview subject and blowing their minds, as well ending the interviews with 'doot doodle oo doo.."

Been on the binge over the weekend and he is one of the coolest dudes and he is still interviewing people.

Any love for Nardwuar here?

dontpaintyourteeth

Blur were cunts to him.

Dickie_Anders

Yeah I hate Blur and Sonic Youth after his interviews with them. Something about him reveals the true nature of musicians

dontpaintyourteeth

My absolute favourite thing about him is when he's interviewing one of those rap singers they have nowadays and you can tell they think he's just some nerd but he completely disarms them by pulling out some obscure record or whatever

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I love the Andrew WK one, the guy just instantly vibes with him

https://youtu.be/ilKuJOe2goA

bgmnts

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 07, 2022, 08:32:10 PMBlur were cunts to him.

Yeah I saw that one. Wanted to pummel them in the face hard for bullying him.

non capisco

Main bully Dave Rowntree has since been very contrite about it and cites that interview as the reason he stopped taking coke. It's horrible to watch though. Really ugly bullying with the other two Blur cunts just standing about giggling in the background. Alex James' casual "I just don't think he likes you much, mate" is somehow worse than Rowntree's overt aggression. An insight into how revolting that Britpop scene must have been and the Nardwuar interview would have been at the extreme arse end of it. Imagine being around those pricks in an unguarded moment during the Parklife era when they were properly in love with the smell of their own farts.

up_the_hampipe

The YouTube compilations of him blowing the minds of various musicians always cheer me up. There's a nice clip with Pharrell where he makes a point to let Nardwuar know how good he is:

Crenners

Nardwuar vs Lil B The Based God

One of the greatest ever. Lil B is at least as loveable as Nard here, and this is one big reason why I loved Lil B for a good while.

Proactive

sutin

Loved him for eons. Greatest interviewer in the game.

sevendaughters

Been watching and listening to Nardwuar for about 15 years (he had a show on WFMU which I presume was syndicated from his Canadian radio show) and I like the guy - he's incredibly knowledgeable about a lot of music, especially regional forms of garage rock, punk, and rap - and think it is incredible that basically a 'zine writer in a novelty rock band from Vancouver (BRITISH COLUMBIA CANADA) has opened up a lot of rappers who often don't get taken musically seriously.

I do find his barraging/gifting shtick a bit one note at times and sometimes he will just blast past an answer to get his shit in. 

Joe Qunt

I too am a fan of auld Nards but I wouldn't describe him as a great "interviewer", in the way that Sean Evans from Hot Ones is. He's more entertaining to watch though.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Crenners on August 07, 2022, 09:39:27 PM

Nardwuar vs Lil B The Based God

One of the greatest ever. Lil B is at least as loveable as Nard here, and this is one big reason why I loved Lil B for a good while.

This is flipping adorable I love it

Petey Pate

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on August 07, 2022, 08:34:25 PMYeah I hate Blur and Sonic Youth after his interviews with them. Something about him reveals the true nature of musicians

Henry Rollins, who I generally think is a bit of a twat, was also grumpy and unreceptive towards him.

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 07, 2022, 08:38:14 PMMy absolute favourite thing about him is when he's interviewing one of those rap singers they have nowadays and you can tell they think he's just some nerd but he completely disarms them by pulling out some obscure record or whatever

A lot of hip hop artists are really nerds deep down, usually when it comes to record collecting, and I like how Nardwuar draws that out of them. In his interview with Run (of Run DMC) he ends up mostly talking about comic books.

jobotic

Glad you told us who Run is. Might have thought you meant Run out of Runrig.

[winking emoji]

billyandthecloneasaurus

I think he's an absolute sweetheart and I do like his weird interview style, but I do think his encyclopedic knowledge is overstated a bit, his shocking obscure information is usually stuff easily googleable. I think the hip-hop lads shock is more revealing of the idiocy and lack of research done by other interviewers rather than old nards being that knowledgeable.

bgmnts

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 08, 2022, 04:56:20 PMHenry Rollins, who I generally think is a bit of a twat, was also grumpy and unreceptive towards him.

A lot of hip hop artists are really nerds deep down, usually when it comes to record collecting, and I like how Nardwuar draws that out of them. In his interview with Run (of Run DMC) he ends up mostly talking about comic books.

It's actually DMC. Thinking about trying some of DMC's comic books see if they're any cop.

sevendaughters

Rollins did a later interview where he's more amenable, to be fair.

Petey Pate

Nardwuar meets Neil Hamburger.

It's an odd one because Nardwuar, like Gregg Turkington, is clearly committed to his character and so also respects not breaking or spoiling Gregg's.

Another weird one is Eric Andre who does his best to derail and take over the conversation but Nardwuar is having none of it.

ajsmith2

I have to admit I don't think he ever topped his 1996 interview with Paul Gallagher, 'blother of Liam and Noel' even though it's very off brand in terms of Nardwuar being confrontational and insulting from the get go, rather than disarming with kindness and nerdy knowledge as became his thing:

https://nardwuar.com/nardwuar-vs-paul-gallagher/

sutin

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 08, 2022, 07:29:17 PMRollins did a later interview where he's more amenable, to be fair.

I was about to say that. The modern day older and wiser Rollins seems a lot more chill and friendly than the meathead of yore.

Rolf Lundgren

Used to binge his videos. Love that moment when a person lets their guard down after initially being suspicious of this guy looking like he wandered in from the set of Caddyshack.

phantom_power

Quote from: sutin on August 09, 2022, 01:56:32 PMI was about to say that. The modern day older and wiser Rollins seems a lot more chill and friendly than the meathead of yore.

I remember in the first interview Rollins slowly warmed to Nardwuar when he got past the wacky exterior and realised he knew his onions, though I may be misremembering

QDRPHNC

Questlove was a good one, Nardwuar really did a number on him, in a nice way.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on August 07, 2022, 08:54:11 PMMain bully Dave Rowntree has since been very contrite about it and cites that interview as the reason he stopped taking coke. It's horrible to watch though. Really ugly bullying with the other two Blur cunts just standing about giggling in the background. Alex James' casual "I just don't think he likes you much, mate" is somehow worse than Rowntree's overt aggression. An insight into how revolting that Britpop scene must have been and the Nardwuar interview would have been at the extreme arse end of it. Imagine being around those pricks in an unguarded moment during the Parklife era when they were properly in love with the smell of their own farts.

Apparently, it was Rowntree pretending to be a hooligan because he was always regarded as the quiet one of the band and wanted to play against type but ended up just being a hooligan. I gather they made it up with Nardwuar afterward. The evils of bugle; no wonder the band knocked it on the head by the end of the nineties.

sutin

Rowntree has apologised to Nardwuar a bunch of times, he seems genuinely embarrassed by his behaviour.

sutin

All the Jello Biafra interviews are great. Jello totally gets Nardwuar and really seems to like him, they have great chemistry. And as annoying as Fat Mike can be, he is also great with Nardwuar and clearly adores him.

Ron Superior

As if there was ever any doubt that Danny Brown would vibe with Nardwuar. Always a joy to watch that one.

My first experience of Nardwuar was actually a transcribed interview he did with Ian McCulloch for some reason. That was a very different experience to seeing him in action.

Custard

Quote from: sutin on August 09, 2022, 03:37:42 PMRowntree has apologised to Nardwuar a bunch of times, he seems genuinely embarrassed by his behaviour.

Yep, he even keeps a video of the interview on his phone in case he ever thinks about doing a line again

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/blurs_dave_rowntree_apologizes_for_2003_attack_against_nardwuar