Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:36:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst introductions to songs

Started by Joe Oakes, August 10, 2022, 12:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Oakes

Inspired by the best intros thread. Hip-hop has a patchy history for song intros. My favourite track on one of the greatest ever albums rarely gets mentioned, because it's hidden behind 1 minute and 21 seconds of RZA shouting out everybody he's ever met. Beautiful piano chop and GZA goes so hard it's the only solo song on the LP. But I think most people who had it on CD tended to skip it after the first listen, thanks to RZA's inane ramblings.

Any others?

Pauline Walnuts

A lot of these hip-hoppy fellers seem to take delight in not getting on with it.

(skit) = skip button readiness.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on August 10, 2022, 11:32:45 AMA lot of these hip-hoppy fellers seem to take delight in not getting on with it.

(skit) = skip button readiness.

Has streaming killed the hip-hop skit?

Joe Qunt

Nah you're all fools. Skits are great. They need to make a comeback, hip hop takes itself too seriously these days.

phantom_power

Skits are OK if they are separate tracks, or at the end of the track. If they are at the beginning they are a fucking blight on the genre, and my shuffling through playlists

dontpaintyourteeth

not that the actual song is much cop, but the four minutes of pissing about at the start of Breaking into Heaven springs to mind

Vodkafone

The intro to Revolution by the Beatles is the most misleading intro I've heard. It sounds like it's going to be raucous and exciting, then turns into centrist lettuce after about 10 seconds.

The intro to Wild Boys by Duran Duran is crap.  Mind you, the rest of the song is too.

bgmnts

Considering RZA pretty much did everything (right?), he's allowed a little bit of an inane rambling?

TheMonk

This is a fine, Supertramp like song but the first 1:25 is unnecessary. This era seemed to have a lot of this Floydian bollocks. Even Chris Rea got involved.
https://youtu.be/LZ5VCDON1Mo

Video Game Fan 2000

Clan in Da Front is a good shout because it comes up sometimes as a weak track as a classic album, but its clearly great. the issue is the intro is an early moment of RZA overselling the Wu's schtick and it comes close to spoiling the atmosphere of the record really early. that intro after OBD's spotlight wasnt the best idea

Midas

Oneohtrix Point Never - Imago

Quite like this instrumental, but always end up skipping the very boring 25 second looping sample of someone saying "imagine" / "listen" at the beginning.

Get on with it!

Clownbaby

I quite like the song Joy by Missy Elliot but the delicious french meeeaallll crap accent skit at the start, no, can't be arsed today

I don't particularly like skits, I don't listen to 98% of hip hop skits or any skits ever again after the first listen when I first got the album.

In Eminem's Infinite there's a song called Maxine and the person saying "Maxine" at the start just induces an instant skip. Not entirely sure if it's Eminem saying it or not. Probably is. Don't care. I still don't know what the song actually sounds like because I am so irritable that I can't stomach any further than the "Maxiiiiiine". Help me

Also I've heard some repulsive... sludgy "atmospheric" noises that are typically used in the earlier days of using that in big rock albums a few times, but because I've found them so offputting in a shuffle I can't quite place what repulsive dated synthetic chunky echoing glug just before an actually nice riff was possibly Killing Joke or maybe Queen

willbo

Nirvana's "on a plain". Because it sounds like they're gonna launch into some kind of stomping industrial rock song or something, then it abruptly changes. I still love the song tho.

On a Plain is so fucking great that it doesn't matter about the intro. The one it has is fine.

dontpaintyourteeth

Watermelon in Easter Hay by Frank Zappa. Get that fuckin Central Scrutinizer bollocks OUT OF THERE!

The actual music is good

popcorn

The Nevermind one that does my head in is the "everybody get togetherrrrr" intro on Territorial Pissings. I know it's intentionally horrible/ugly/weird (like so much of Kurt's whole deal) but it really does make my teeth rattle.

studpuppet