Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:53:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Buying from Discogs

Started by Neomod, August 10, 2022, 12:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Made my first purchase form discogs last week and seller sent me an email stating he was sending it via Evri and would be with me in a couple of days.

Hadn't received it by today and so asked for the tracking number (should have asked for it last week)

He comes back with he doesn't have the shipping number now but will contact Evri to see what is happening.

Red flag? I purchased via paypal.

Pauline Walnuts

Give it a couple of days and then use Paypal to say you've not received it, they'll have a chance to reply using that.

You can wait a couple of weeks, possibly months until Paypal will do anything, In fact they won't do anything until you raise it again, but it will report it as a potential problem. And it's not a problem for the seller either unless you request your money back.

On no account close this request no matter what the seller says, as it's hard if not impossible to restart it.

chutnut

I've never really had much of an issue on Discogs. Probably wait to hear what he says before worrying, but might not be much Evri can do without a tracking number tbh

chutnut

Once sold a record for about £30 and sent it to the guy twice, both times it got returned cause no-one was home or came to collect it from the sorting office. I was like fuck that guy I'm keeping it now! then I went and bloody threw it away by accident

Neomod

It's only £11 odd quid's worth of Nancy Sinatra and so not a huge amount.

Still, if it doesn't arrive I will DESTROY the seller.

or get a refund from paypal.

sevendaughters

never had a problem ever with Discogs, find that they're the super concerned well-meaning nerds of the mail order world.

only minor issue was I went to a shop that had listed something on their discogs and he couldn't find it while I was stood there, but then remembered 4 months later and emailed me.

Neomod

and of course the day I post a panicky Pete post..

lazyhour

Neomod

Hooray indeed!

Now I have another query, this time about Discogs decorum.

Is it taking the piss to make an offer of a fiver on a 6.99 listed LP?

lazyhour

Not if they've got Make An Offer activated, no. If they don't then I don't see the harm in asking, but I wouldn't assume they'll definitely reply.

the science eel

Make all the pisstaking offers you want - all they can do is accept or decline, you don't hear from the seller directly, and it doesn't affect your ratings on the site.

Neomod

Offer accepted. I'll soon be the proud owner of Captain Sad And His Ship Of Fools.

Yasss.

Sebastian Cobb

The only real discogs problem I've had was buying a cheap copy of Millie Jackson's Free and in Love for a few quid and me lazily giving feedback before bothering to play it (as it was cheap and I just did it before I'd forget). The record looked good visually but had an unusual warp that makes the first track unplayable, I think it was stored in a crate with records stacked in a V shape and the bottom edge got pinched, it's not really all that noticeable until you get it on a platter.

It's currently sat under some books with some 20 kilo weights on top but it's been like that for a month and hasn't really flattened so I'm not all that hopeful. I've rearranged it a bit to try and get a better go at flattening the warped edge. I realise the grooves will still be distorted when flat but meh at least it'll play.

Neomod

Is there a way to set up preferences so that you can, for example just search for vinyl LP's in the uk as opposed to having to specify with each search?

holyzombiejesus

Not as far as I know.

I have sometimes messaged sellers asking if they'd be prepared to offer a discount if I bypass Discogs and buy direct from them. Normally get a yes.

lazyhour

Quote from: Neomod on August 11, 2022, 11:48:41 AMIs there a way to set up preferences so that you can, for example just search for vinyl LP's in the uk as opposed to having to specify with each search?

I *think* you can specify only items listed in £ sterling, which does the job.

Edit: I might be mistaken - do you mean searching the whole of Discogs and just seeing what comes up for sale in the UK? Not sure if you can do that.

Neomod

Yeah, was just wondering if there was something in settings where you could set up a default format/location template so when you searched it would automatically come up with the items available in the UK in the format specified.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

It's addictive though isn't it. I was up til 2 this morning going through a seller's inventory to find 5 LP's for the one postal charge.

VFM!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Neomod on August 11, 2022, 11:48:41 AMIs there a way to set up preferences so that you can, for example just search for vinyl LP's in the uk as opposed to having to specify with each search?

Best bet is this extension that allows for that sort of thing plus filtering of condition e.g. vg and above.

Also adds enhancements like album duration to the pages and stuff
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/discogs-enhancer/fljfmblajgejeicncojogelbkhbobejn

Neomod

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2022, 03:04:37 PMBest bet is this extension that allows for that sort of thing plus filtering of condition e.g. vg and above.

Also adds enhancements like album duration to the pages and stuff
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/discogs-enhancer/fljfmblajgejeicncojogelbkhbobejn

That looks helpful, ta.

Neomod

Just arrived today and in immaculate condition for a 40 year old record.

I remember bunking off school to get the original on the day of release. This time I paid £3 more than back then which I would consider a bargain.

cosmic-hearse

Fantastic record - I don't think Cherry Red gets enough credit (compared to Rough Trade, Factory, Postcard, 4AD etc.) for being such an era defining label, especially the Mike Alway years.

Neomod

A great introduction too. I think I bought releases by probably 80% of the artists on that record.

Brundle-Fly

I remember that comp. Very Smithsy sleeve. I wonder if Morrissey angrily stamped his foot when he first saw it on the racks in Piccadilly Records on that cold Christmas of '82. "Fuck it! They got there first, the bastids!"

Neomod

This would have made El Moz madder. Darling Johnny playing with Everything But the Girl a year later in 84 on Native Land.

Like an indie who's who that video. Tracey and Ben, Johnny, Phil Moxham from Young Marble Giants and June Miles Kingston who sang and played drums with the Fun Boy Three.

Captain Z

Quote from: Neomod on August 19, 2022, 10:41:55 AMJust arrived today and in immaculate condition for a 40 year old record.

I remember bunking off school to get the original on the day of release. This time I paid £3 more than back then which I would consider a bargain.

Well then I'm afraid you have broken the law, for it quite clearly states you must not pay more than 99p.

Art Bear

Has anyone had people contacting them on Discogs asking to buy something you've marked in your collection but have not put up for sale? I'm tempted as it's a high-ticket item I don't play much, but it feels scammy.

Neomod

I guess that would only happen if you are a seller already wouldn't it?

Speaking of high-ticket items the priciest in my albeit short wantlist currently is a Brigitte Bardot 7", Harley Davidson on Pye for £80. 

Art Bear

Quote from: Neomod on August 21, 2022, 10:03:31 AMI guess that would only happen if you are a seller already wouldn't it?

Well yes, but I also use it as an inventory of all the records I have. I don't plan on selling most of them.

Captain Z

Quote from: Neomod on August 21, 2022, 10:03:31 AMI guess that would only happen if you are a seller already wouldn't it?

Not necessarily, I once had success buying a CD from someone who just had it listed in their collection. Twice actually, now I think about it. Second time was a DVD release, the guy wouldn't sell the original item but did make me a perfect copy, sleeve and all. These were both 10+ years ago, mind. Think I may have received one or two requests in return over the years, but have ignored as I didn't want to sell.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Art Bear on August 21, 2022, 09:42:37 AMHas anyone had people contacting them on Discogs asking to buy something you've marked in your collection but have not put up for sale? I'm tempted as it's a high-ticket item I don't play much, but it feels scammy.

yeah, all the time. it's pretty annoying to be honest