Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

John Cleese joins GB News

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 10, 2022, 10:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

From the Metro:

QuoteJohn Cleese has revealed his return to television, joining the GB News line-up.

The Monty Python star will host a regular, one-hour show on the broadcaster in the new year, and in speaking about the new move has insisted it's not 'not a right wing channel' but a 'free speech channel'.

Still, the comic said when he was approached by the network, he 'didn't know who they were'.

He told Amol Rajan on Radio 4: 'I was approached and I didn't know who they were, I don't know much about modern television because I'd pretty much given up on it – I mean English television – then I met one or two of the people concerned and I had a dinner with them and liked them every much.

'People say it's a right-wing channel, it's a free speech channel.'

Cleese, 82, will be working with Andrew Doyle and when asked by Rajan about 'wokeism' – something Cleese has shared his distaste of – and 'how big a threat wokeism is to our culture' he called himself an 'old fashioned liberal'.

He said in America, 'wokeism' was 'worse', adding: 'The interesting thing is, the way the woke people conduct their campaign is I thought not very honest.'

Cleese's former tweets on GB News were brought back up on Monday amid the news, after he asked about 'Russian interests' with the broadcaster.

In late August, he tweeted: 'GB News is sometimes referred to, rather wittily, as 'KGB News'

'To what extent is GB News influenced by Russian interests?'

Asked whether he's received a satisfactory answer to his concern, he replied he'd spoken with Doyle about it and that, 'I'm satisfied at the moment, but the whole point is, is it free speech or not, and after I start the show, we will find out.'

When questioned about his thoughts on the limits of free speech, the comedian said: 'Somebody once said to me: "Everyone's in favour of free speech, particularly for the ideas that they like".'

Responding to whether free speech should extend to those spreading opinions and misinformation about public health matters, Cleese said: 'If there's a factual response to something like that, then that should be made.

'That's the job, to put the facts out there, and then to have opinions slightly separate and have a proper argument about it, but not to try to avoid a public debate and then try and get yourself through (on) social media.'

He went on: 'The nice thing about talking to the GB News audience is that they may not be used to hearing the sorts of things I'll be saying.

'The BBC have not come to me and said would you like to have some one-hour shows and if they did I'd say not on your nelly because I wouldn't get five minutes into the first show before I'd been cancelled or censored.'...

I don't know what Andrew Doyle does on GB News but I presume it's some kind of news panel debate or something. I won't be watching GB News even if John Cheese Shop Sketch is on it, judging by what their presenters post on Twitter it's a pretty ghastly channel

Pink Gregory

TheMonk

Disappointing nonetheless.
He's currently responding to criticism with:
"You're a bit like Mary Whitehouse trying to get Life of Brian cancelled before they'd even seen the script".
Sigh.

Mr Vegetables

They were all big fans of free speech on GB News when one of their presenters wanted to take the knee, if I remember wrongly

The Mollusk

This man's brain is rotting away.

idunnosomename

Old Nehamkin

Ooh I wonder if his unspecified exciting controversial views might involve trans people.

EOLAN

I presume this free speech channel of GB News allows a platform for Corbynists and other leftists and strong environmentalists, who are persona non grata in  the mainstream media.

boki

CW: The Obvious Joke

Spoiler alert
Funniest thing he's done in a while.
[close]

bgmnts

Unsurprising, I think of all the python group, he was the most establishment and would side with the BBC in terms of censoring certain things.

Still disappointing though, he helped write the Life of Brian ffs.

BritishHobo

Quote'That's the job, to put the facts out there, and then to have opinions slightly separate and have a proper argument about it, but not to try to avoid a public debate and then try and get yourself through (on) social media.'

How insightful John. I'm sure all the conspiracy theorists will listen to fact debate and will stop being wrong now, well done.

Kankurette

When will these people realise that certain people don't want a debate? They just want everyone to agree with them, they're not interested in hearing other people's POV and conspiracy theorists in particular will just assume you're a government shill or something. Free speech channel, my fucking arse. Try being a leftist on there and see how far that gets you.

'Wokeism' is not a real thing, it's just culture war bullshit invented by the right-wing media.
Quote from: Mr Vegetables on October 10, 2022, 10:14:54 AMThey were all big fans of free speech on GB News when one of their presenters wanted to take the knee, if I remember wrongly
Exactly. Funny how free speech only ever goes one way.

jobotic

Quote from: EOLAN on October 10, 2022, 10:34:50 AMI presume this free speech channel of GB News allows a platform for Corbynists and other leftists and strong environmentalists, who are persona non grata in  the mainstream media.

You fool, they're the ones that run the mainstream media. And the government. And all the establishment. That's what make people like John so brave.

phantom_power

So he says he knew nothing about them but also that he tweeted about them in August?

It is funny how GB News don't report on the actual massive free speech issues such as the right to protest and the ever-more draconian laws around that area, and things like a man being searched the other day just for voicing his support for some protesters, instead choosing to concentrate on made up culture war bollocks about not being allowed to be white or English anymore

wrec

Quote'People say it's a right-wing channel, it's a free speech channel.'

Very obvious that this is what was pitched to him, though I expect you could flatter him into anything by going "woke 🙄" a few times.

Kankurette

Quote from: phantom_power on October 10, 2022, 11:13:31 AMSo he says he knew nothing about them but also that he tweeted about them in August?

It is funny how GB News don't report on the actual massive free speech issues such as the right to protest and the ever-more draconian laws around that area, and things like a man being searched the other day just for voicing his support for some protesters, instead choosing to concentrate on made up culture war bollocks about not being allowed to be white or English anymore
I will say that the Free Speech Union were at least consistent and complained about people being arrested for protesting during the COD's death parade. But that's it. The government are cracking down on protest but the protestors are the kind of people the likes of Cleese don't like, so that's OK.

up_the_hampipe

What happened to the documentary about PC gone mad that he was making? I was looking forward to that car wreck.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Kankurette on October 10, 2022, 11:10:43 AMWhen will these people realise that certain people don't want a debate? They just want everyone to agree with them, they're not interested in hearing other people's POV

The irony!

QuoteFree speech channel, my fucking arse. Try being a leftist on there and see how far that gets you.

Well they're forever fawning over Peter Tatchell. If there aren't as many lefties as you'd like, maybe it's the result of this sort of thinking:
"I feel troubled that PRs are asking if they should put their clients on the new national TV news network, GB News. Left wing PR's comment: 'No don't, it's far-right' or 'I've read it's right wing so I don't put my clients on it.' Then the PR who asked the question comments: 'Ok I won't put my clients on it then'"
https://broadcastersacademy.com/should-you-go-on-gb-news/

There have been many tweets where a left-wing commentator shares a polite request from GB News to come on the channel and publicly declines by playing to the gallery with moronic sneering abuse.

Also: Why is a lefty like me working at GB News?

Quote'Wokeism' is not a real thing, it's just culture war bullshit invented by the right-wing media.

To still be peddling this line takes a lot of chutzpah, fair play. Hope you're right!

Cleese is likely to ruffle some GB News feathers when he starts attacking Trump, Republicans and Fox News and (dead)parroting Democrat talking points like he does all the time on twitter. Surprised they'll allow such a soft left liberal on the channel.

Thomas

Quote'People say it's a right-wing channel, it's a free speech channel.'

It's not a drug, it's a drink.

Tony Yeboah

His BBC Radio 4 interview was funny this morning. Just as they were moving onto the sports news he chipped in with 'I'm still doing comedy by the way.' He's still got great timing!

dissolute ocelot

I can't believe he'll last any longer than Andrew Neill. The sheer tedium of doing hours of low-budget TV, plus the fact that he'll soon find it's not actually a free speech channel (remember how Guto Harri was sacked for opposing racism; I don't think Cleese will do that but he'll probably upset them some other way).

Struggling to recall the last decent thing Cleese did. A Fish Called Wanda in 1988?

jobotic

Do you watch GB News Autopsy Turvey?

Mike Upchat

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on October 10, 2022, 12:10:15 PMIf there aren't as many lefties as you'd like, maybe it's the result of this sort of thinking:

No, it's a result of it being a channel to promote right wing talking points.

For example, on its webpage currently under the section of GB Views there is

Why should we be expected to offer bed, board and benefits to those who enter our country illegally? asks Darren Grimes

If nurses vote to go on strike there is blood on their hands, says Patrick Christys

A day of reckoning for the Covid vaccine is coming and I can't wait, I'll be bringing popcorn, says Mark Dolan

Tory MPs should embrace Liz Truss and not rebel like Michael Gove, says Dan Wootton

That's the top views it wants to push and the people it chooses to push them.

The 'Oh, look there is a token lefty on at Two Thirty every Tuesday afternoon, so they can't be racists after all' defence doesn't hold up.

QuoteThere have been many tweets where a left-wing commentator shares a polite request from GB News to come on the channel and publicly declines by playing to the gallery with moronic sneering abuse.

Rather a vague accusation, why not be specific? What left-wing commentator/s are you referring to?

jobotic

Kankurette

And as if by magic, AT appears. Like a moth to a flame.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 10, 2022, 12:29:02 PMStruggling to recall the last decent thing Cleese did. A Fish Called Wanda in 1988?

ajsmith2

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on October 10, 2022, 12:53:08 PM

Wow. Interesting to read in the comments that he did this partially for the lolz, (that it was also for the money goes without saying), but also cos he was in the best shape of his life physically and wanted to showcase it for posterity. Not the kind of thought processes and values you tend to associate with Cleese but there it is. He would have been pushing 50 here but I admit he looks buff AF and tbh from my perspective in my early 40s staring forlornly at an expanding waistline and other appearance/age issues, a beacon of hope that things can still be turned around. I might pin a still from this campy stupid late 80s advert to the wall as motivational imagery.