Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Kay 2022-2023 Tour

Started by SteveDave, November 06, 2022, 10:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Everyone's favourite Northern memory man is back! Playing everywhere (bar London) mostly in 2023.

Is he making a point about the capital by not playing here?

jobotic

up_the_hampipe

Was it ever revealed why he abruptly cancelled the last tour?

I heard from those 'secret' Salford shows that this new material is more personal, but that might just be the WIP aspect making him more conversational. The show will probably just be "You can't TikTok your garlic bread, dick'ead!"

crankshaft

Quote from: SteveDave on November 06, 2022, 10:12:34 PMEveryone's favourite Northern memory man is back! Playing everywhere (bar London) mostly in 2023.

Is he making a point about the capital by not playing here?

I suspect he'll announce a separate "record breaking run" at the O2 for some point after the tour, because people in the capital and surroundings with no taste at all also have money to spend.

idunnosomename

this story went out on BBC radio bulletins yesterday
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-63526041

am I weird or should this not be news. yeah good on him. but. he's got enough money from his shitty DVDs in the 00s to do stuff like this for individuals he knows?

also linked from that his Q&A shows 2021
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58129447

I'm not that arsed about seeing Peter Kay live now but he is one of the greats. Very unique ability to spot the things that happen ubiquitously in life that most of us wouldn't think to observe as funny. His bit about young boys sliding on the dancefloor before the disco opens at a wedding always springs to mind. He didn't actually need a joke because the observation in and of itself was good enough.

Hope he's able to do this tour and the material is fresh.

DigForVictory

Having the tickets be the same price they were in 2010 because of the cost of living crisis is a nice touch if that's true.

Thosworth

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 06, 2022, 10:22:44 PMWas it ever revealed why he abruptly cancelled the last tour?

He cancelled the tour for "unforeseen family circumstances". A couple of months later he set up a charity screening of episodes of Carshare and wrote "The Lily Foundation is an inspiring charity that helps to improve the lives of children with mitochondrial disease. I've had first-hand experience of the foundation's work".

May or may not be connected, either way good luck to him.

Quote from: DigForVictory on November 06, 2022, 11:11:33 PMHaving the tickets be the same price they were in 2010 because of the cost of living crisis is a nice touch if that's true.

D'yer remember prices in 2010?

madhair60

gonna do me usual post: peter kay has a decent batting average. top of the tower/bungalow great and good respectively. phoenix nights 1 good. car share good. shouldn't have put the same material out as much as he did but it wasn't bad material by and large.

Glebe

dontpaintyourteeth

Glebe

(To the bussed-in nans) "It's like Cocoon!"

phes

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 06, 2022, 10:42:24 PMthis story went out on BBC radio bulletins yesterday
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-63526041

am I weird or should this not be news. yeah good on him. but. he's got enough money from his shitty DVDs in the 00s to do stuff like this for individuals he knows?

also linked from that his Q&A shows 2021
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58129447

think this woman has been in numerous news stories prior to this so that's why they've picked up on it. Kay does this kind of stuff often (from a friend who worked in a hospice) and it otherwise wouldn't make news . In fact she said of the celebs who were involved with that hospice, Kay was the one who would turn up with only brief notice to check it was ok and do everything to avoid any media attention

Glebe

Quote from: phes on November 07, 2022, 10:46:32 AMthink this woman has been in numerous news stories prior to this so that's why they've picked up on it. Kay does this kind of stuff often (from a friend who worked in a hospice) and it otherwise wouldn't make news . In fact she said of the celebs who were involved with that hospice, Kay was the one who would turn up with only brief notice to check it was ok and do everything to avoid any media attention

I have a couple of distant connections to this and, yeah, as far as I'm aware, PK's being a GBOL here.

Quote from: madhair60 on November 07, 2022, 12:19:37 AMgonna do me usual post: peter kay has a decent batting average. top of the tower/bungalow great and good respectively. phoenix nights 1 good. car share good. shouldn't have put the same material out as much as he did but it wasn't bad material by and large.

Counterpoint: he's not written a good TV series without Neil Fitzmaurice and Dave Spikey, with the exception of Car Share which he's credited as a co-writer for but had very little input into.

Mr Vegetables

I just saw "to 2023" and thought he'd died, I was imagining this would be a thread full of humorous "Remember when Peter Kay was alive?" jokes

madhair60

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 07, 2022, 12:40:58 PMCounterpoint: he's not written a good TV series without Neil Fitzmaurice and Dave Spikey, with the exception of Car Share which he's credited as a co-writer for but had very little input into.

i will condense my views into two words: he funy

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on November 07, 2022, 12:46:38 PMI just saw "to 2023" and thought he'd died, I was imagining this would be a thread full of humorous "Remember when Peter Kay was alive?" jokes

You thought he died now but in the future?

good times

Most of his target audience have become brainwashed by far right propaganda via social media since his last tour, I really hope his new set reflects this.

dontpaintyourteeth

garlic bread? foreign muck, I've tasted it

Uncle TechTip

Remember when foreigners weren't uppity and knew their place? (Thinks back to Phoenix Nights & Kitson)

robprosser

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 07, 2022, 12:40:58 PMCounterpoint: he's not written a good TV series without Neil Fitzmaurice and Dave Spikey, with the exception of Car Share which he's credited as a co-writer for but had very little input into.
Counter counterpoint. Remember those classic TV series written by Neil Fitzmaurice and Dave Spikey?

Neither do I

non capisco

I think it's a bit unfair and unrepresentative to characterise Peter Kay's comedy, especially his standup, as just "remembering things".

He says "dick 'ead" as well.

Glebe