Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:19:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Kay 2022-2023 Tour

Started by SteveDave, November 06, 2022, 10:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robprosser

Quote from: non capisco on November 07, 2022, 05:26:28 PMI think it's a bit unfair and unrepresentative to characterise Peter Kay's comedy, especially his standup, as just "remembering things".

He says "dick 'ead" as well.
Be fair it's probably the only Rufus hound joke people remember, even if they don't remember it was him that said it.

Moj

I wonder if he's tightened up the car parking clause in his contract?

RetroRobot

I actually agree with Madhair here, and might go depending on ticket prices. Probably won't be going cos I can't imagine they won't be wildly expensive but eh. Live in Leeds so might as well see some benefit of that, eh readers?

JamesTC

Mum needs to heat her bungalow tour

checkoutgirl

Quote from: SereneMackeral on November 06, 2022, 11:06:27 PMHis bit about young boys sliding on the dancefloor before the disco opens at a wedding always springs to mind.

Nice one.

checkoutgirl

The Tour That Actually Did Tour After 7 Years and A Family Illness Tour

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 07, 2022, 08:42:26 PMGarlic bread is the future?

Garlic bread in the future? More like Dalek bread! Dick'ead!

Christophe

I liked the ITV News piece this evening on this.

Couple of highlights -

reporter out asking for vox pops on his classic lines, first bloke says "Garlic Bread" obviously, then some women going "i like the one where he changes the lyrics on the songs".
Classic Nan recall of a joke that isn't it! "You know...THE SONGS", couldn't tell you what songs or the misheard lyric in question if her life depended on it probably, just knows it was funny...probably.

Back in the studio the newsreader signed off the piece with "finally some good news there". Like the dystopian nightmare Brexit/Covid/Tory Austerity have plunged us into over the last 5 years are all just a distant memory now that the Garlic Bread man is back!

Dimbleby

Amazed to learn he's only 49. I know this forum likes to indulge in an affected world-weary cynicism, but this will probably be really good, like most of his other work.

DrGreggles

TPKT/TOTT/PN1 are 20+ years ago, can't think of anything good he's done since.
No doubt he's an excellent performer, but that doesn't matter if the material is lazy.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to still have another TPKT/TOTT/PN1 in him, but I just can't see it happening.

Why force yourself to write the best show possible when you know the theatres will be full of people who'll lap up any old shit.
Professional pride? His later work suggests not.

Cold Meat Platter

Herring keeps going on about how his autobiography is an unintentionally funny read, is this true? He tells some story about how he bought his wife a car but didn't insure it because he's so tight. Is this just Herring not getting a joke?

petril

Quote from: SereneMackeral on November 06, 2022, 11:06:27 PMHis bit about young boys sliding on the dancefloor before the disco opens at a wedding always springs to mind.

first forty-five minutes of every wedding reception

idunnosomename

Quote from: robprosser on November 07, 2022, 05:24:47 PMCounter counterpoint. Remember those classic TV series written by Neil Fitzmaurice and Dave Spikey?

Neither do I
yeah Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing

JamesTC

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 08, 2022, 12:12:42 AMHerring keeps going on about how his autobiography is an unintentionally funny read, is this true? He tells some story about how he bought his wife a car but didn't insure it because he's so tight. Is this just Herring not getting a joke?

I didn't read it cover-to-cover but there was one laying around the staff room once (around the time every charity shop was legally obliged to have 2 copies) and I did glance through it a few times - it read like a comedy routine rather than an autobiography: there's never any jeopardy, everyone finds him hilarious, scores were always settled with Kay coming out on top...etc. 

Snrub

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 08, 2022, 12:12:42 AMHerring keeps going on about how his autobiography is an unintentionally funny read, is this true? He tells some story about how he bought his wife a car but didn't insure it because he's so tight. Is this just Herring not getting a joke?

Some bits are intentionally funny, but at points it's very "needless to say, I had the last laugh" - settling scores with non-celebrities from his formative years in a very bitter way which is probably what Herring is referring to.

Never read it when it came out, but he did the audiobook recently and added even more detail about how he still hated some of these people in the narration. The audiobook is actually a decent listen to be fair if you're interested

SteveDave

The one bit that sticks in my mind is he said someone hit their thumb with a hammer and it looked like "Trevor MacDonald's nose"

A Google reveals that that's also the title of chapter two in the book.

thr0b

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 08, 2022, 12:27:08 AMyeah Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing

And Dead Man Weds. Would've done far better on anything other than ITV1

madhair60

be funny if it got to one day before the first show and he just cancelled the whole thing again

sutin

This thread is bizarrely pro-Kay.

crankshaft

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on November 09, 2022, 09:58:07 AMKay will be playing the O2 once a month https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-peter-kay-keeps-tickets-28444608

Well, I was half right.

Quote from: sutin on November 09, 2022, 11:15:27 AMThis thread is bizarrely pro-Kay.

He's a money grabbing, glory hogging, miserly cunt who also made twelve episodes of brilliant telly a really long time ago and whose stand up is awful. I hope this provides some balance.

JamesTC

sutin

Quote from: crankshaft on November 09, 2022, 12:21:00 PMHe's a money grabbing, glory hogging, miserly cunt who also made twelve episodes of brilliant telly a really long time ago and whose stand up is awful. I hope this provides some balance.

Never watched any of his TV shows. A few months ago I watched 10 minutes of a terrible stand up show when someone was trying to convince me he was once good.

JamesTC

itsfredtitmus

couple of blokes in hardhats giving it BACK HERE WITH THAT BACK HERE

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sutin on November 09, 2022, 12:48:19 PMNever watched any of his TV shows

Check out That Peter Kay Thing, series one of Phoenix Nights (ignore the awful series two) and all of the more recent Car Share. I mean, only if you want to obviously. This isn't a demand.