Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:57:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Kay 2022-2023 Tour

Started by SteveDave, November 06, 2022, 10:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

me biscuits fallen in me brew get a spoon

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: sutin on November 09, 2022, 11:15:27 AMThis thread is bizarrely pro-Kay.
ill always be here to big up that peter kay show

JamesTC

I've never even seen his stand-up. I just know it from other people taking the piss out of it.

JamesTC

Remember Del Boy falling through the bar?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: crankshaft on November 09, 2022, 12:21:00 PMHe's a money grabbing, glory hogging, miserly cunt who also made twelve episodes of brilliant telly a really long time ago and whose stand up is awful. I hope this provides some balance.

This isn't the Ricky Gervais thread aaaaaaah

sutin

I genuinely thought Peter Kay would be as hated around here as Gervais. All I remember of him in the '00s was everyone I knew thinking he was a prick, and every comedian I liked mercilessly mocking his act. I have had Phoenix Nights recommended to me a few times in the past year so I might actually watch it now. More than anything i'm curious about Jeff from Peep Show as a writer.

madhair60

Top of the Tower is funny as fuck and it's weird that people are pretending it isn't

BritishHobo

Does anyone know what episode of Peacock and Gamble has them trying to predict the content of his new tour? 'Sky Plus? Me nan doesn't understand it - she calls it 'Sky And'!"

Genuinely might go see this. I don't think I've ever watched a Peter Kay show all the way through. He's the first comedian I can remember people talking about at school, and my older brother having his DVDs - which obviously at the time gave the impression of him being someone really edgy and cool. There's so much hype about his return that I'm intrigued. Bet it sells out instantly though.

Captain Z

Quote from: Christophe on November 07, 2022, 11:38:51 PMI liked the ITV News piece this evening on this.

Couple of highlights -

reporter out asking for vox pops on his classic lines, first bloke says "Garlic Bread" obviously, then some women going "i like the one where he changes the lyrics on the songs".
Classic Nan recall of a joke that isn't it! "You know...THE SONGS", couldn't tell you what songs or the misheard lyric in question if her life depended on it probably, just knows it was funny...probably.

He come out, Stew, and he says "French bread!"

I'm prepared to give Peter Kay a fair bit of credit. Max & Paddy was atrocious and the first time I began to question him as a comic, but Car Share was largely great. I've got all his televised stand-up shows lying around somewhere. I might give them a rewatch them to see how well they, er, stand up.

dead-ced-dead

All of Max and Paddy is on Youtube.

It's really quite awful. But I do have fond memories of Phoenix Nights, so I'm not going to slag him off too much.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Sorry if this has been discussed to death in the past but am I wrong thinking he put out two dvds that were basically the same show in different venues?

BritishHobo

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 09, 2022, 03:28:06 PMDoes anyone know what episode of Peacock and Gamble has them trying to predict the content of his new tour? 'Sky Plus? Me nan doesn't understand it - she calls it 'Sky And'!"

Found it - it's episode 25.

Jerzy Bondov

I love that bit from Top of the Tower where's on about seeing the Four Tops in Vegas and he's in the front row just grabbing hold of them for no reason hahahaha laughing thinking about that now

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on November 09, 2022, 03:38:38 PMSorry if this has been discussed to death in the past but am I wrong thinking he put out two dvds that were basically the same show in different venues?

Yep. There was Live at the Bolton Albert Halls (2003) and Live at the Manchester Arena (2005) which were just recordings of different dates on the same tour. His next two Christmas dvd releases after that were Stand Up UKay (a compilation of best bits from his previous live shows interspersed with vox pops of his fans talking about said bits) and Special Kay (an assortment of chat show appearances, adverts and other bits of minor Kay ephemera). He definitely was taking the piss around that time.

Schnapple

Top Of The Tower is really funny. It also easily predates Lee and /or Herring for introducing a young me to the gag of telling a lame joke or pun and then enthusiastically explaining why it works following a muted response.

JamesTC

People slag off Phoenix Nights Series 2 but Jerry singing songs at the entrance of Asda is the funniest bit in the whole show.

non capisco

There are definitely some great bits in series 2 ("And the answer to question 22 is...The Shroud Of Turin." "What did we put?" "Lisa Stansfield.") but unsavoury shite like that subplot with the two Chinese immigrants "Ant and Dec" really sours it.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Christophe on November 07, 2022, 11:38:51 PMBack in the studio the newsreader signed off the piece with "finally some good news there". Like the dystopian nightmare Brexit/Covid/Tory Austerity have plunged us into over the last 5 years are all just a distant memory now that the Garlic Bread man is back!

Not really 'news' is it? More like an advert.

Cuellar

I find it intriguing/exciting that there were no photos/videos/interviews with present day Kay in the news piece.

What's happened to him? What has he transformed himself into?

Going to appear on stage like Nyarlathotep, confounding audiences with his experiments and driving everyone to madness.

willbo

apparently one of these three is him. I think its the one on the right.

Glebe

Eggheads Chris, Tim Vine has put on weight, Graeme Garden has grown a beard.

Goldentony

Quote from: JamesTC on November 09, 2022, 06:02:23 PMPeople slag off Phoenix Nights Series 2 but Jerry singing songs at the entrance of Asda is the funniest bit in the whole show.

I think it's when Brian says a plate of burned chips looks like "mummies dicks"

SpiderChrist

Quote from: willbo on November 09, 2022, 07:01:14 PMapparently one of these three is him. I think its the one on the right.

You have two bullets left.

petril

Quote from: non capisco on November 09, 2022, 06:35:12 PMThere are definitely some great bits in series 2 ("And the answer to question 22 is...The Shroud Of Turin." "What did we put?" "Lisa Stansfield.") but unsavoury shite like that subplot with the two Chinese immigrants "Ant and Dec" really sours it.

I WANT THE NAME OF THE SONG NOT THE NAME OF THE ARTIST...
"It's a kinda magic..."

kalowski

Quote from: petril on November 09, 2022, 08:52:58 PMI WANT THE NAME OF THE SONG NOT THE NAME OF THE ARTIST...
"It's a kinda magic..."
"Young at heart!"
The quiz is just relentlessly funny. Is it Kitson who says, "We'll shit 'em."?

When he plays the intro to Take My Breath Away and then everyone mumbles the line had me falling about with laughter.

SteveDave

The Lurker

I didn't mind series two of Phoenix Nights, for what it's worth. I did recently rewatch Max & Paddy though and it's aged really badly

non capisco

Max and Paddy was the thinnest of gruel at the time. I remember thinking it was bewilderingly unfunny when it aired, apart from the first time Max grumbles "Thatcher's Britain!" but then he says it every episode so not even that.

paddy72

Quote from: non capisco on November 09, 2022, 06:35:12 PMbut unsavoury shite like that subplot with the two Chinese immigrants "Ant and Dec" really sours it.

The catalyst for Kitson falling out with Kay and disowning his part in the series.

idunnosomename