Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:40:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great album covers

Started by saltysnacks, June 06, 2018, 09:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: lazyhour on May 04, 2021, 09:22:16 PM
Here's a challenge: post a cover you think is great even though you think the music is mediocre at absolute best.

This one's easy. The Flaming Lips, one of the most tawdry overrated bands of all time, have some absolutely belting album covers in their stupidly extensive back catalogue.

Egyptian Feast

Brain Salad Surgery by ELO. Parping shit beloved by Jim Davidson, but the sleeve is fantastic.

Neomod

I'll just leave this here...

The Mollusk

Bumping this thread as it doesn't get enough love.

Discovered this gorgeous folk album from 1970 not too long ago. Obvious comparisons would be Joni Mitchell and Vashti Bunyan, and indeed it's very close if not equal to either artist's strongest work, which I'm sure I don't need to describe - if you're a fan of either, get on this! A rich and accomplished piece of work, evocative, beautiful, mysterious and even at times dipping its toes into the avant-garde, straying off the path into the disconcerting thicket before climbing back into the clearing. A gorgeous voice amidst fantastic compositions.

The album cover is also wonderful.

kidney

Boris - Noise

Effe - visible / invisible

purlieu

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 18, 2022, 12:10:52 PMBumping this thread as it doesn't get enough love.

Discovered this gorgeous folk album from 1970 not too long ago. Obvious comparisons would be Joni Mitchell and Vashti Bunyan, and indeed it's very close if not equal to either artist's strongest work, which I'm sure I don't need to describe - if you're a fan of either, get on this! A rich and accomplished piece of work, evocative, beautiful, mysterious and even at times dipping its toes into the avant-garde, straying off the path into the disconcerting thicket before climbing back into the clearing. A gorgeous voice amidst fantastic compositions.

The album cover is also wonderful.
Yes, a stunning cover for a stunning album. Probably the most well known on there, but the title track really is a corker.

Neomod

Levi

I've always thought this was relatively tasteful

Especially considering the state of the band..

The Mollusk

Haha that's great. Lovely stuff from Neomod too.

Quote from: purlieu on August 18, 2022, 10:58:38 PMYes, a stunning cover for a stunning album. Probably the most well known on there, but the title track really is a corker.

Absolutely. Listened to it for the first time after a couple of glasses of wine this week and had a real "blimey I wasn't expecting this song to go here" moment. What's great is that despite the fact that the album is predominantly not weird (musically at least), Perhacs has a strong understanding of how far to take it, and it sounds fantastic when she does.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: lazyhour on May 04, 2021, 09:22:16 PMHere's a challenge: post a cover you think is great even though you think the music is mediocre at absolute best.
I saw this in a book about new wave design but musically, when I eventually listened to it, despite the Sonic Youth connection, Glenn Branca is really not my thing.

Also, discerning robot critic:

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Terence Bowl on August 19, 2022, 06:01:32 PMSo close yet so far.

Haha! It took me a minute to understand what you were pointing out. I think I'd like that album much better, but the front cover would most likely be shit.

Head Gardener

my mini Bowie LP's have arrived with superb attention to detail sleeves, now officially my smallest records!