Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:17:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 [split topic]

Started by Steve Faeces, January 21, 2024, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

loving the soundtrack but you know what I forgot about this game is the load of old bollocks that you're supposed to preserve ammo while there's immediatelyt hallways you need to go down eight or nine times full of enemies that take at minimum 27 direct shots to the head in a row. Infinite minigun loyalists forever, no S+ for this, not arsed.

The Culture Bunker

Having just finished Leon A/Claire B runs on the PS5 version, I did find myself enjoying it despite the annoyances over too much of both routes being identical in a way the PS1 original didn't have. No wonder poor Annette rolled a seven, after being slammed twice against the wall by her horribly mutated husband.

If the RE3 remake is plonked on PS Platinum, I'll give that a spin too.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 05, 2024, 03:51:54 PMHaving just finished Leon A/Claire B runs on the PS5 version, I did find myself enjoying it despite the annoyances over too much of both routes being identical in a way the PS1 original didn't have. No wonder poor Annette rolled a seven, after being slammed twice against the wall by her horribly mutated husband.

If the RE3 remake is plonked on PS Platinum, I'll give that a spin too.

If you dislike the lack of content compared to the original game, I'd steer well clear of R3make!

Despite how the good the 2 remake is, the lack of variance in the B scenario is a common complaint and a fair one. A remake should be better than the original in my view; Resident Evil 1 remake being the perfect example of that.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on February 05, 2024, 04:07:37 PMIf you dislike the lack of content compared to the original game, I'd steer well clear of R3make!

Heh, I had heard, hence waiting for it to come up as part of my Platinum sub! It's on sale for about £7, and even at that price I think I'll hold back.

madhair60

R3make is really fun, but it is short. So short it's very replayable imo. I had a ball with it. Much more so than RE2make, but then they're very different games.

Mister Six

OG Resi 3 was pretty short, wasn't it? There was a bit of variation with the occasional diverging routes, but mostly it was pretty brief, IIRC.

Still a bit narked about the identical routes in the Resi 2 remake, despite not having played it. It annoyed me enough in the original that you had to piss about with the water tower twice in what was supposed to be a single storyline.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on February 06, 2024, 08:58:17 PMOG Resi 3 was pretty short, wasn't it? There was a bit of variation with the occasional diverging routes, but mostly it was pretty brief, IIRC.

Still a bit narked about the identical routes in the Resi 2 remake, despite not having played it. It annoyed me enough in the original that you had to piss about with the water tower twice in what was supposed to be a single storyline.
It's been well over 20 years, but yeah - RE3 did feel a little like an expansion pack of RE2. The dual Leon/Claire narratives had a couple of holes in them, but it still worked better than in the remake. I mean, we have Mr X make his big entrance in the exact same manner in A and B (in the corridor, throwing aside the helicopter after putting the fire out), but then we find out that while Leon faced down X for his final fight, in Claire's run we see he got sliced in half by Billy Birkin. Can only assume the big lad stitched himself back up and found a new overcoat.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 06, 2024, 09:04:15 PMIt's been well over 20 years, but yeah - RE3 did feel a little like an expansion pack of RE2. The dual Leon/Claire narratives had a couple of holes in them, but it still worked better than in the remake. I mean, we have Mr X make his big entrance in the exact same manner in A and B (in the corridor, throwing aside the helicopter after putting the fire out), but then we find out that while Leon faced down X for his final fight, in Claire's run we see he got sliced in half by Billy Birkin. Can only assume the big lad stitched himself back up and found a new overcoat.

I think it's meant to be that there were multiple?

Mister Six

Mister Six

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: H-O-W-L on February 09, 2024, 10:08:11 PMI think it's meant to be that there were multiple?
Well, it's never made clear - a cut scene showing lots of them being dropped in would have helped. Doesn't change that in both A and B they appear from throwing aside the helicopter wreck. And if there were two of them wandering round the police station, you'd never be able to walk around a corner without bumping into one!

Steve Faeces

I finally completed Leon's first run on this tonight. I found it pretty hard going compared to the more recent ones (although lack of playing time means I'm probably worse at games generally). Took me thirteen hours in all and umpteen goes at the final two bosses.

I did enjoy it but I think the best section being the police station at the begining makes the rest of the game a bit underwhelming. I don't know why so many games insist on having a sewer or underground stage where the colour palette is the Bristol stool chart. I'm weighing up whether to do Claire's second run or start RE3.

Spoiler alert
I assume the child that appears with Claire at the end of Leon's story is explained by completing Claire's story?
[close]

Mister Six

Spoiler alert
Yes - did you not play the original RE2!?
[close]

Steve Faeces

Quote from: Mister Six on February 10, 2024, 05:59:23 AM
Spoiler alert
Yes - did you not play the original RE2!?
[close]

No I never played it. Or the originals of one or three. I thought I had played one but I'm thinking of the version that came out for the GameCube. 

Mister Six

Fair enough! Yeah, the little girl is from Claire's side of the story.