Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:31:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Crown of the Soulsborne King - Ranking Fromsoftware’s Souls/Soulslike games

Started by druss, January 25, 2024, 07:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 17, 2024, 08:26:37 PMAh, that's before the "click" point for many people. I gave up there too on my first go round. Give it another chance!

it was after beating Lady Butterfly that I had that moment. then I had it again with Genichiro. then again with Ape

then i fell off, and will need to do it over sometime as all my skill will have atrophied. Good thing the game fucking rules.

druss

Lost 21,000 souls in Earthen Peak yesterday. Assumed after dying the first time that I could just leg it back as I'm obviously pro at souls games but the manikins had other ideas.

Barry Admin

What's that Ds2 area that's up in the mountains? I loved it. Think there was dragons or drakes, inevitably. Nests?

Thursday

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 20, 2024, 12:26:12 PMWhat's that Ds2 area that's up in the mountains? I loved it. Think there was dragons or drakes, inevitably. Nests?

Dragon Aerie

Jerzy Bondov

I like the dragon mountain in DS3 with its bright blue skies. Almost makes it seem welcoming, until you once again get your shit pushed in by bad bastards.

druss

The spoke from shaded woods to freia feels noticeably worse than every other spoke so far. Very disjointed and quite ugly.

Or maybe I'm just getting a bit worn out with my Pyromancy only build... getting tempted to switch to the red iron twin blade when I get to it as I never did a build with it.

badaids

So, as I'm not forking out £££ for Sekiro I got DS2 and DS3 today.  Any tips for a noob?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: druss on March 22, 2024, 11:18:03 AMThe spoke from shaded woods to freia feels noticeably worse than every other spoke so far. Very disjointed and quite ugly.

Or maybe I'm just getting a bit worn out with my Pyromancy only build... getting tempted to switch to the red iron twin blade when I get to it as I never did a build with it.

Pyro only is going to absolutely suck in the DLC, I'd think!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: badaids on March 22, 2024, 11:33:33 AMSo, as I'm not forking out £££ for Sekiro I got DS2 and DS3 today.  Any tips for a noob?

Start with DS3, it's much closer to Elden Ring in feel and mechanics and has some of the best bosses in the series. Takes a while to get properly good, but once it does it stays consistent right through to the end.

DS2 is a bit weird, but quite fun once you get into it. It's a different sort of experience.

druss

I'm really looking forward to getting to DS3 (which will be after Bloodborne). General atmosphere is up there at the top and the bosses are probably the most consistently good in any of the games (can't remember Sekiro well enough though which might also be up there with boss quality and consistency).

The major issues in DS3 are story and npcs, and the linearity of the whole thing. If you aren't arsed about that stuff then it might be the best of the lot.

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 22, 2024, 05:36:40 PMPyro only is going to absolutely suck in the DLC, I'd think!
Yes, I am very worried about this. My main concern is that if I get to the dlc and I'm still running full pyro then I'm quite stubborn and might try to brute force it. It's probably too much to hope that they reindeer in the frozen wastes are weak to fire...

druss

Noodle Lizard

It is a bad area. Might be the worst of the series for me, at least poison swamps are largely counterable whereas Shrine of Amana was unbeatable for me without slow boring bow cheese.

oggyraiding

Didn't mind Shrine of Amana in my last playthrough. Reckon SotFS Iron Keep and Earthen Peak are worse.

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 25, 2024, 12:13:36 AMIt is a bad area. Might be the worst of the series for me, at least poison swamps are largely counterable whereas Shrine of Amana was unbeatable for me without slow boring bow cheese.
I am still persevering with Pyromancy. It was not easy, maybe hardest run I've done through Amana (or at least as hard as the starter equipment run I have previously done), but got through it! Ended up using all of my stored gems and lots of herbs and lots of kiting. I can't bring myself to hate the area though as it's one of the few areas in ds2 base game that has a great atmosphere, looks amazing and is truly memorable and satisfying to beat.

I've picked up the red iron twinblade which is going to be my backup respec option if I find the dlc too hard. I think I'll be able to complete the main game with Pyromancy though. Discovered in Amana that you can leave minefields with lingering flames and kite enemies into them for instant kills. Might be a tactic that can get me through the dlc too, we shall see!

druss

Very glad I got ancient dragon down first time using Pyromancy only as there's no fucking chance I was going to attempt it again. The fight consisted of using the only Pyromancy that works on him, which is toxic and poison mist (each taking about 20-30 seconds to do their full damage before the next one could proc), 20 times and refilling with herbs when the spells ran out as it took 3 casts for the effect to proc each time. Strong contender for worst boss in ds2.

druss

Decided to try the Iron king dlc first as I was worried about not being able to damage enemies with fire. The good news is that I can damage them and am at the third bonfire. The bad news is that it has been very rough going but now that I'm this far it looks like I'm persisting until the end with only Pyromancy.

I reeeeealy hope fume knight is not immune to fire and/or poison or this might be dead in the water.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: druss on March 28, 2024, 04:07:23 PMDecided to try the Iron king dlc first as I was worried about not being able to damage enemies with fire. The good news is that I can damage them and am at the third bonfire. The bad news is that it has been very rough going but now that I'm this far it looks like I'm persisting until the end with only Pyromancy.

I reeeeealy hope fume knight is not immune to fire and/or poison or this might be dead in the water.

lolz

Are you planning on doing all the optional bosses too? If so, you're a madman. Could try getting obscenely overleveled, I suppose.

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 28, 2024, 05:02:12 PM

lolz

Are you planning on doing all the optional bosses too? If so, you're a madman. Could try getting obscenely overleveled, I suppose.
Yeah I'm just trying now and it's almost impossible 😂. I am already pretty overlevelled but Pyromancy scaling basically stops at 30/30 int/faith and my glove is already +10.

My hardest hitting spell does just under 30 damage and he has 10,000HP.

I've actually managed to get him down to 2/3 health and I'm finding his first phase pretty manageable but tedious. His second phase I'm struggling with.

I am doing a Walter white inspired build which I decided would allow me to use consumables but even my hardest hitting consumable (witching urn) only does 70 odd damage meaning I would need more than I can carry.

I need to have a think (about what I am doing with my life).

Noodle Lizard

Going in naked and chipping away at him forever is probably the only way, innit?

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 28, 2024, 06:36:44 PMGoing in naked and chipping away at him forever is probably the only way, innit?
Indeed. I might try the other dlcs first and come back later as although I love this fight, this is getting silly.

And yes, doing every boss, including optionals, in the game. Must cover everything for the full experience! Doing every chalice boss in Bloodborne is going to be fun...

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: druss on March 28, 2024, 06:42:42 PMAnd yes, doing every boss, including optionals, in the game. Must cover everything for the full experience! Doing every chalice boss in Bloodborne is going to be fun...

I will never do that again - even without whatever mad self-imposed restriction you're probably going in with!

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 28, 2024, 06:45:23 PMI will never do that again - even without whatever mad self-imposed restriction you're probably going in with!
Quote from: The Crumb on March 29, 2024, 12:05:49 PMBe a real hero and do all the weird glyph chalice bosses too.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/you-too-can-now-fight-one-of-the-cut-bloodborne-bosses-in-the-chalice-dungeons-in-a-cut-stage.12840/
Struggling at the moment to even finish this DLC with this mad restriction, I may impose a slightly less mad one for bloodborne. And I will be doing the absolute bare minimum chalices, even though it will turn out to be about 15 hours.

Really enjoying Eleum Loyce, might be my favourite area. Came close to one shotting the ivory king, damage is still quite shit but not as insanely small as for Fume Knight. Currently have a lot more goodwill towards Dark Souls 2 than I did when playing the opening 2/3rds of the game. Does seem to be big jump in quality from Amana onwards (it is obnoxiously hard but I still think it has enough going for it to be considered one of the better areas) and then the DLC ups the quality even more.

Of course I am about to do the frigid outskirts, so all of that goodwill is about to evaporate entirely.

druss

Who the fuck designed these reindeer, honestly, absolute garbage.