Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:50:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Curse - new A24 Fielder/Safdie/Stone scripted TV comedy due in the autumn

Started by Tiggles, August 17, 2023, 04:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiggles

Been wondering how long they'd hold on to this one given the anticipated impact of the strikes.

Looks like they're going for a prestige launch at the New York Film Festival.  https://twitter.com/A24/status/1692166917291729159?s=20

No dates exactly, but probably October (in the states at least, no doubt it will be another long wait in the UK).

Looking forward to the luxury of not trying to work out the extent to which Nathan Fielder is acting for a change.

Noodle Lizard

Fielder looks as though he's been crudely Photoshopped into those photos.

Ant Farm Keyboard

sevendaughters

still have more confidence in its eventual quality than most trailers!

As long as Nathan Fielder isn't traumatising children* in this, I'm happy.

*but they're fine apparently

Tiggles

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 26, 2023, 08:28:47 PMFielder looks as though he's been crudely Photoshopped into those photos.

Nathan Fielder often feels to me like he's been photoshopped into the planet, tbf

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 26, 2023, 08:28:47 PMFielder looks as though he's been crudely Photoshopped into those photos.

Photoshop a pic of Simon Cowell's dodgy plastic surgery, Ron the wankbeast (who is innocent) and that one funny looking dog, you got a C&B shitpost.

kitsofan34

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tui5vl13Gqg

I cannot speak to how much this trailer gives away, for I have not watched it. I apologise. Forgive me.

sevendaughters

it definitely tells you what one of the main narrative hooks is, so if you want to go in fresh then avoid it!

it looks really interesting though.

PlanktonSideburns

fucking ponderous

Little worried it looks a bit "THIS IS ABOUT SOMETHING" but I think Fielder's smarter than that so I'm cautiously optimistic.
And yeah I'd love to see him act more.

Tiggles

I suspect we've seen Fielder act a fair bit more than we think we have.

Looking forward to working out how to view this when it comes out.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Tiggles on October 13, 2023, 12:14:47 AMI suspect we've seen Fielder act a fair bit more than we think we have.

Looking forward to working out how to view this when it comes out.

Yea no doubt but like his face is moving loads more and stuff

Blinder Data

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 12, 2023, 08:04:39 PMTrailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tui5vl13Gqg

I cannot speak to how much this trailer gives away, for I have not watched it. I apologise. Forgive me.

i don't have a good feeling about this based on the trailer - i bet it will be quite interesting but hardly more than the sum of its parts.

it feels little overdone. true detective season 2 vibes

Tiggles

I have high hopes.

Non-spolier-y quote from the very spoiler-y Vulture review of the first three episodes shown at the NY Film Festival:

QuoteHow Nathan Fielder-y is it all, or in other words, will I feel so much secondhand humiliation and faint glimmers of self-recognition within that humiliation that I will want to crawl deep into myself, hiding in the recesses of my brain, leaving my physical form sitting empty on the couch as a sort of temporary husk while also laughing at its painfully uncomfortable truths about the human condition and the banal absurdity of being alive at this objectively terrible point in human history?

Yeah.

Pseudopath

Loved this. Several laugh-out-loud moments, a couple of jaw-dropping scenes and an undercurrent of queasy wrongness bubbling throughout (for which Daniel Lopatin's soundtrack deserves a lot of credit).

I was a bit worried that Fielder's acting was going to let the side down, but I needn't have worried (it's easy to forget he stayed in-character throughout pretty much the entirety of Nathan For You). Stone and Safdie were fantastic too.

Noodle Lizard

Curious to see where it goes, but the "evils of reality TV" stuff feels a bit old hat. I preferred the more uneasy dramatic moments, like the scene with Stone's father. If it can deliver more of that, it'll be worthwhile.

Tiggles

Really promising start; I had to pause after the first two minutes to recalibrate my cringe guard to Fielder level.

Funny and horrific and yeah I can't wait for the rest of it.

Spoiler alert
One criticism of NFY was that Fielder exploited immigrant workers/ business owners in his first season in particular - wonder if this is partially a nod back to that? There's definitely references back to the petrol station owner and The Hunk. That's not to take anything away from something that is shaping up to be its own thing entirely.
[close]

bobloblaw

Quote from: Tiggles on November 11, 2023, 07:13:24 PMReally promising start; I had to pause after the first two minutes to recalibrate my cringe guard to Fielder level.

Funny and horrific and yeah I can't wait for the rest of it.

Spoiler alert
One criticism of NFY was that Fielder exploited immigrant workers/ business owners in his first season in particular - wonder if this is partially a nod back to that? There's definitely references back to the petrol station owner and The Hunk. That's not to take anything away from something that is shaping up to be its own thing entirely.
[close]

Definite Twin Peaks: the Return vibes in this, the pacing, odd moments like when someone walks into the cafe and back out without turning

Led Souptin

just watched it, wasn't blown away, but it was kindof exactly what i expected it to be. very dry and claustrophobic. didn't really get many laughs out of me but i did enjoy the pitiful help that their show offers the residents. "i'm happy because my rent is still the same"

It's definitely very meta isn't it? i wonder if fielder has some kind of guilt about the exploitative nature of making 4 seasons of N4Y? safdie being cast as the director and then explaining to emma stone that she's the one people will be interested in because nathan's character is regarded as being like data from star trek is very on the nose.

it's interesting. i'm not hooked but i'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Tiggles

Being familiar with NFY definitely adds a whole layer of meta to it.

Quote from: Led Souptin on November 12, 2023, 12:57:34 PMjust watched it, wasn't blown away, but it was kindof exactly what i expected it to be.

it's interesting. i'm not hooked but i'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I'm not a NF fan really but agree with this - will see how the next couple of episodes go which is more than I have done with his previous work.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Led Souptin on November 12, 2023, 12:57:34 PMIt's definitely very meta isn't it? i wonder if fielder has some kind of guilt about the exploitative nature of making 4 seasons of N4Y?

Mfs act like they forgot about the rehearsal