Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:49:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sooz Kempner appreciation thread

Started by madhair60, September 01, 2023, 08:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

just been watching her Y2K Woman show on Twitch and feeling like Sooz doesn't really get quite the credit she deserves, though hopefully her Dr Who gig did okay for her. I own Super Sonic 90s Kid on Go Faster Stripe and that was a lot of fun too, much better than you would anticipate from the premise.

anyway; fans? any fans here?

Utter Shit

I only know her from social media, but her  impression of Jamie Vardy and Wayne Rooney seeing each other in court during the Wagatha Christie trial has made me laugh a  huge amount every time I've seen it.

bgmnts

Caught one of her twitch streams where she was role-playing as an old lady and she was quite an entertaining streamer.

I also have a vague memory of her telling a funny story about performing as a singer in a masonic lodge.

Pink Gregory

Seen the recorded Super Sonic 90s kid and have seen her Edinburgh WIP at Chippenham comedy festival two years running; promoter of that festival reckons he won't be able to get her back again because she's gonna blow up (in popularity terms) soon.

Always enjoyable, the shows I've seen have been somewhat unfinished (because they are WIPs) and they do seem to follow - intentionally I think - a similar formula, but I imagine she's doing them as a complete piece as it were.  Duetting with the video of her past self is always fun.

Yeah, fizzy, fun, stupid, smashing.

selectivememory

Not that familiar with her work, but she's very funny on Twitter and seems like a GBOL.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm a big fan and have seen her perform Mega Drive and Playstation at The Bill Murray, yet somehow haven't seen Go Go 90's Kid and really must remedy that.

QDRPHNC

She was in Toronto a couple of months ago, kicking myself for not getting my arse across town to see her.

DrGreggles

Didn't see her Fringe show this year, but I think it'll be on NextUp's Fringe rewind soon.
Saw her in Nick Helm's band though and she was great.

Spoiler alert
Hi Sooz!
[close]

non capisco

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 01, 2023, 08:58:38 PMI only know her from social media, but her  impression of Jamie Vardy and Wayne Rooney seeing each other in court during the Wagatha Christie trial has made me laugh a  huge amount every time I've seen it.

Ha ha, yeah, +1 for this. I need to check out some of her standup, her Twitter account and self-shot character stuff is consistently really funny.

Consignia

I only really know her Nadine Dorries sketches, but those are absolutely spot on.

idunnosomename

I first learned about her when Mr Biffo got her on Digitiser in early 2020 (although apparently she was at the live show in 2019 which I somehow ended up going to because of odd travel stuff but enjoyed tremendously). Thought she was great performer on those shorts spun out into the pandemic. She's got great original material too with the video game stuff, think she's very funny.

Brother is Luke Kempner who does a fair bit more safe wankpuffin satire than she does, and she's right on the edge with being matey with the awful Rosie Holt, to the point of doing co-headline shows with. Sorry to damn by association but Holt's whole act is fucking cowshit, and anyone progressive should see it for what it is (shit)

Gurke and Hare

I'm honestly not a huge fan of her work, but I agree that she seems like a GBOL and she annoys all the right people so I wish her every success.

Crabwalk

Having enjoyed her Twitter exploits over the years I went to see her final Fringe show on Monday. I think by her own admission she still lacks a bit of confidence as a stand-up, which does seep through at times, but her show was fun and she's very likeable.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 01, 2023, 11:17:54 PMshe's right on the edge with being matey with the awful Rosie Holt, to the point of doing co-headline shows with. Sorry to damn by association but Holt's whole act is fucking cowshit, and anyone progressive should see it for what it is (shit)

The Holt situation feels bizarre now, it's obviously Stewart Lee approved and now Kempner appears to like it as well, I can only guess that Rosie must be the loveliest, kindest, most considerate person in the world in real life, and that's why she has a career and is friends with people you'd have thought wouldn't have enjoyed her stand up.

DrGreggles

Holt's character doesn't work* because there are current Tory ministers who regularly do and say far worse things than she does.
A parody needs to be an exagerated version, but this is too tame when compared to the real thing.

*for me, Clive

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 02, 2023, 12:06:58 AMHaving enjoyed her Twitter exploits over the years I went to see her final Fringe show on Monday. I think by her own admission she still lacks a bit of confidence as a stand-up, which does seep through at times, but her show was fun and she's very likeable.

I think once she branches out from her usual structure she'll have made it.  The jokes and the routines are clearly there but she has (being ungenerous here) done 3-4 quite similar hours so far and it feels like she's waiting to figure out how to put her foot down for something new.

Not that I'm complaining, it's a good and flexible structure.

pepperweasel

Back when I was a Twitter user she liked one of my tweets. She was right to like it, it was very good, it shows she obviously has a great sense of humour.

idunnosomename

I was always quite impressed by her green-screen production and makeup stuff she pulls off at home too.

She doesnt just sit in her home office and pretend to be a tory

Egyptian Feast

I still haven't got around to checking out her non-Twitter stuff, but she's cool and I'm still impressed that her childhood pet was Jones from Aliens and got the role because he was so unpleasant he could be relied upon to hiss on camera.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 02, 2023, 11:54:48 AMI still haven't got around to checking out her non-Twitter stuff, but she's cool and I'm still impressed that her childhood pet was Jones from Aliens and got the role because he was so unpleasant he could be relied upon to hiss on camera.

Boris (the cat's name, not in Alien) is such a cunty ginger cat name as well, it's perfect

dead-ced-dead

I've only seen clips of her stand-up, but I can understand from that why she's getting work in Doctor Who and seems poised to breakout.

She annoys Glinner, too. Win win.

Mobbd

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 02, 2023, 11:54:48 AMI still haven't got around to checking out her non-Twitter stuff, but she's cool and I'm still impressed that her childhood pet was Jones from Aliens and got the role because he was so unpleasant he could be relied upon to hiss on camera.

Is that for real? Her cat was the feline actor who played Jones?!

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Mobbd on September 02, 2023, 01:14:07 PMIs that for real? Her cat was the feline actor who played Jones?!

It is! Here's an interview about it.

gmoney

I also only really know her from Twitter, but she's very funny on there. Love this:

Ron Superior

Yeah I don't have much to add but I do think she's funny and she's one of a nice  group on Twitter who are funnier and more interesting and have better politics than yer Russ In Cheshire and Supertanskis.

lauraxsynthesis

Been following her for years on Twitter and she's a fave of mine on there. Thanks for the headsup about Twitch. I'll deffo watch that. Every December I look forward to her annual Eastenders rundown.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Off the back of her tales of being booked by Freemasons, I saw her PBH free fringe show last year. It was great.

Hilarious Freemason Thread:  https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1180753471429074945.html

Mister Six

The only thing I've seen her in is the Falconhoofesque trailer for that Doctor Who crossover nonsense, and yet my mental image is of her being a hilarious GBOL simply because she's so loved on here.

Where should I go to see some of her "classic" videos? Don't tell me I have to scroll through 3 years of fucking Twitter.