Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:42:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When The Simpsons was good

Started by kalowski, November 17, 2023, 07:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Proactive on November 17, 2023, 07:45:55 PMI love that because it's such a fucking accurate depiction of the kind of magical thinking kids of that age engage in. Like when I bought a pair of x ray specs literally thinking they would allow me to see through walls etc.
They thought I was autistic at school because they had some mental health nurse come in and do individual sessions where they gave us a kitchen roll to look through and said ah it's a telescope can you see the stars and i had an eppy and started crying cus I thought I'd actually get to see space and they thought I had no imagination or something.

I have loads of imagination mate and I'm well not autistic, I just daydream and fantasize on my own terms and don't do it on fucking demand. I'd be fucking awful at improv.

chip

Correction: the only thing that is over, is that transmission.

madhair60

"He must have been much smarter than his sister Lisa -- about whom we know nothing."

"Let's bring him back to life by using technology!"

"Ay, Caramba!"

(Applause)

"What's normal to him amazes us!"

"He will be our new god."

Pink Gregory

this town is a part of us all!

a part of us all!

a part of us all!

sorry to repeat myself but it'll help you remember...

idunnosomename

imagine if the Simpsons had stopped with season 8, where it genuinely should have done.

wouldn't really make much of a difference considering how little cultural impact anything they've made in the last 23 years has had (the utterly okay 2007 Movie aside)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Working for a sporting organisation, I often think of the following exchange:

"Gonna win some this season?"
"Gonna try."

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 18, 2023, 07:47:32 PMthis town is a part of us all!

a part of us all!

a part of us all!

sorry to repeat myself but it'll help you remember...
Hey, that does work.

Chollis

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 18, 2023, 09:11:51 PM"Gonna win some this season?"
"Gonna try."

that limp throw and the sound he makes probably makes me laugh more than any other moment in this ep

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"who will come and live a life devoted to chastity, abstinence and a flavourless mush I call 'root marm'?"

chip

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 18, 2023, 09:05:11 PMimagine if the Simpsons had stopped with season 8, where it genuinely should have done.

wouldn't really make much of a difference considering how little cultural impact anything they've made in the last 23 years has had (the utterly okay 2007 Movie aside)

I've often pondered what popular Simpsons memes come from post-'Golden Age' episodes. Besides anything from the film, the latest one I can think of is Stupid Sexy Flanders, which was from Season 11 (2000).

ETA: I also thought maybe Ralph's 'I'm In Danger', but that's from the Family Guy crossover (2014) so it doesn't count!

EETA: 'Old man yells at cloud', Season 13...

kalowski

Quote from: chip on November 18, 2023, 10:52:28 PMI've often pondered what popular Simpsons memes come from post-'Golden Age' episodes. Besides anything from the film, the latest one I can think of is Stupid Sexy Flanders, which was from Season 11 (2000).
I think you are spot on @chip - Stupid Sexy Flanders was the dying breath of a final half decent moment before it all went sour.
Not a good episode as I recall, but that memetic moment worked.

Snrub

Quote from: chip on November 18, 2023, 10:52:28 PMI've often pondered what popular Simpsons memes come from post-'Golden Age' episodes. Besides anything from the film, the latest one I can think of is Stupid Sexy Flanders, which was from Season 11 (2000).

ETA: I also thought maybe Ralph's 'I'm In Danger', but that's from the Family Guy crossover (2014) so it doesn't count!

EETA: 'Old man yells at cloud', Season 13...

From the movie (so again maybe doesn't count) "Worst Day Of My Life"/"Worst Day of Your Life So Far" I've seen memed a few times - that's 2007 so between Seasons 18 and 19 I think, but that's a total outlier for sure

dontpaintyourteeth

When's that "at least you tried" thing with the cake going in the bin from

chip

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on November 18, 2023, 11:12:07 PMWhen's that "at least you tried" thing with the cake going in the bin from

Oh wow, that looks to be the premiere of Season 19. Wonder how on earth that happened. 

Old Nehamkin

Most recent widely-memed Simpsons bit I'm aware of is Moe looking at his noose and saying "not today, old friend" which was from a season 24 episode broadcast in 2013.

kalowski

I imagine (and I say that because I definitely tuned out circa series 11) that the way to analyse this is around Homer's "You know it always been my dream to..." gag. I bet it was used badly post series 11 and never if the quality of
"... appear on the Gong Show"

"...eat the world's biggest hoagie."

jobotic

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on November 18, 2023, 11:20:39 PMMost recent widely-memed Simpsons bit I'm aware of is Moe looking at his noose and saying "not today, old friend" which was from a season 24 episode broadcast in 2013.

That;s horrible. I don;t really watch "modern" Simpsons but from what I've read on the Me Blog Write Good site, this transformation of moe from a seedy loser and schemer to a lonely suicide obsessed man doesn't exactly sound hilarious.

Ferris

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 18, 2023, 01:39:14 AMThere's so many lines that are just ingrained in my DNA.

Like, if I'm trying to project confidence I don't have, I always always always say...

I did some plastering around the gaff this week. The whole time I had this stuck in my head.

Video Game Fan 2000

stupid sexy flanders is just a less funny version of barney singing the i dream of jeanie theme

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: kalowski on November 18, 2023, 11:23:23 PM"... appear on the Gong Show"

We got more gongs than the breakdancing robot that caught on fire

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: jobotic on November 18, 2023, 11:31:25 PMThat;s horrible. I don;t really watch "modern" Simpsons but from what I've read on the Me Blog Write Good site, this transformation of moe from a seedy loser and schemer to a lonely suicide obsessed man doesn't exactly sound hilarious.

Yeah, at a certain point (somewhere between seasons 10-15 is my vague memory) it just became the sort of go-to staple gag for the character to always be trying or planning to kill himself. The Moe version of flanderisation I guess.

jobotic

Yeah remember that now. That's fairly early on isn't it?

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: jobotic on November 18, 2023, 11:40:10 PMYeah remember that now. That's fairly early on isn't it?

Season 11, early phase of the shit era

kalowski

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 18, 2023, 11:37:41 PM
Wow. Nothing is off the table in the world of comedy in my view but I'd really need a great context around that.

Rewatched Lisa the Vegetarian recently and was absolutely floored by almost every single line being solid gold.

"Not by the hairs of our chinny chin chin!"
"What a load of crappy crap crap..."

"Well, it could be a good chance to get to know our neighbours outside of a courtroom setting..."

"They can't seriously expect us to swallow that tripe!"
"Now as a special treat courtesy of our friends at the Meat Council, please help yourself to this tripe!"

And my personal favourite of all time:

"It's just a little airborne, it's still good, it's still good..."

DrGreggles

I think I bailed after (or during) S10.

S2 to S5 is the gold standard, but there's so much wonderful stuff in the 3 seasons after that.

I stopped caring about Zombie Simpsons a long time ago.

Let's just celebrate those early years as one of the most glorious things ever.

Because FUCKING HELL it was funny.