Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:38:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Disappointing chorus

Started by bgmnts, January 18, 2024, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: PaulTMA on January 18, 2024, 11:20:59 PMFunny you should mention that one, I always had it the other way round - think the fast bit is tepid, I do like the slower bit though.  Worst song they released in the 70s IMO.  (Ravine slaps)

I hate Deep In The Motherlode much more off that album though.  The whole thing is plodding, and the chorus is the same as the verse.  Sort it ahhht!

TheMonk

Latter day Neil Finn/ Crowded House output. Split Enz and 80's/ 90's Crowded House often have decent verses and then they just soar into singalongs in the chorus. Since the 2000's most of his music starts well enough then just sags at the point you're expecting it to take off.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Darles Chickens on January 26, 2024, 09:21:54 PMI hate Deep In The Motherlode much more off that album though.  The whole thing is plodding, and the chorus is the same as the verse.  Sort it ahhht!

I think it slaps. Like the family saiiiiid

FeederFan500

Longstanding pop gripe but this P!nk song always annoyed me, builds, builds, builds, then completely meh chorus. Don't know which came first but it's like the songwriter couldn't be bothered to do a decent chorus for their version of Shut Up and Drive by Rihanna.

LordMorgan

To add another erasure tune here, sometimes takes a drop at the Chorus

Still a wonderful song

But the hook is ahh-haaa-ahhh-ahha -ahh

Grassygnome

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on January 18, 2024, 06:03:32 PMI will fight you
Agreed, The Beatles nearly always make the chorus as interesting as they could. No different in WCWIO.

Crabwalk

Nobody loves 'Marquee Moon' for the chorus. For a song that is perhaps the apex of build and release, the chorus is fairly perfunctory compared to the other components of the song.

I should've saved this for the 'fairly perfunctory chorus' thread, shouldn't I.

The F Bomb

Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite has absolutely brilliant verse melodies, fun little flourishes and a mostly great lyric. The chorus is neither cathartic nor satisfying to sing along, it's a bit gimmicky, not sure if it's trying to be funny but everyone thinks it's vaguely funny that you can't easily understand what he's saying.

FeederFan500

I think Bad Day is the worst REM song for this, End of the World is how to do the same song right.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2024, 05:53:00 PMUnsure if this is unique to this song and me, but I find the chorus to Souper Trouper strangely disappointing and anti-climactic considering the build up in the verse and pre-chorus. Especially with that bridge as well. It just feels the weakest part of a song where it would usually be the strongest.

no bgmnts it is good. you once again are wrong.

madhair60

this is actually my least favourite thread of all time. the shit people are saying in here is unconscionable.

prelektric

Quote from: madhair60 on January 28, 2024, 03:03:18 PMno bgmnts it is good. you once again are wrong.

I agree - they're wrong. The point of the whole song is that the protagonist has become so lethargic about the touring life - but still has to be amazing on the stage, despite being so tired. The pulsing, upbeat yet nonchalant chorus is just part of the storytelling. That's the surface, but it's more likely a metaphor for a relationship where one has to "perform", and can no longer.

It's basically ABBA being melancholy and autobiographical, as usual.

bgmnts

Quote from: prelektric on January 28, 2024, 05:55:06 PMI agree - they're wrong. The point of the whole song is that the protagonist has become so lethargic about the touring life - but still has to be amazing on the stage, despite being so tired. The pulsing, upbeat yet nonchalant chorus is just part of the storytelling. That's the surface, but it's more likely a metaphor for a relationship where one has to "perform", and can no longer.

I understand the theme of the song.

madhair60

Quote from: prelektric on January 28, 2024, 05:55:06 PMI agree - they're wrong. The point of the whole song is that the protagonist has become so lethargic about the touring life - but still has to be amazing on the stage, despite being so tired. The pulsing, upbeat yet nonchalant chorus is just part of the storytelling. That's the surface, but it's more likely a metaphor for a relationship where one has to "perform", and can no longer.

also divorced from any of this, it fucking sounds shit hot.

Glebe

One I couldn't think of but have remembered... Metallica's 'My Friend of Misery'. Lovely Newsted bass line and some nice mournful volume swells from Hammett (presumably), it's not that the verses are masterpieces but the choruses are the kind of swaggering cock rock shite Metallica once would have mocked themselves:

Talk about destroying the mood. I'm not as crazy about the Black Album as some, yes it kicks off with two stone cold classics (I remember first seeing the video for 'Enter Sandman' on the chart show and being really exciting, it had a kind of swing to it that was daring for the band at the time but it was still heavy) and besides those it's got it's share of undeniably top songs ('The Unforgiven' is another highlight) but then you've got filler shit like 'Through the Never' (which admittedly has a pretty groovy riff that kicks in) and rush-job toss-off closer 'The Struggle Within'. And 'Holier Than Thou' is overrated in my book... Sky Arts run that Classic Albums series, was watching the one about the Black Album recently, it's quite an interesting watch... 'Holier Than Thou' was apparently originally mooted as both album opener and kick-off single until Lars made everyone else see sense and go with 'Sandman'.

Sorry this post is terribly written but can't be arsed. I'm not writing an article or owt. ;)

idunnosomename

More just a disappointing song that. For the longest time live it was Newsted's bass solo spot live, that Hammett used to join in on (before it was debuted as part of the full Black album backwards set in 2012 i mean). Imagine if it could've been developed into an instrumental like Jason obviously intended to be the foundation of.

The riff under the chorus doesnt even sound like it was intended to have lyrics over it. Absolute mess.

I've never liked the Black album on any level. Very unsatisfying sterile album. Always loved Load though.

Glebe

I'm one of those annoying Master of Puppets champions. My brother had the picture disc borrowed off a mate, it was scratched and everything but I didn't care. Used to come home from school and stick it on. Doesn't get better than 'Orion', fuck me what a masterpiece.

purlieu

Quote from: Chicory on January 18, 2024, 08:15:41 PMThe first time I heard the beginning of 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' I thought ok, this is a bit different.  Melancholic.  Atmospheric.  Almost lovely...

Then cunty chops bulldozes in with yet another off the peg nursery rhyme Noelchorus, bubble thoroughly burst.  Too good to be true.
My problem with it is it's musically identical to the chorus of 'Slide Away'. I know Noel made a thing of ripping off other artists, but ripping off himself is a step too far.