Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:07:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs you utterly fucking LOVE

Started by Pink Gregory, January 27, 2024, 09:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 01, 2024, 10:47:59 AMOkay then. The Stone Ponies (Linda Rondstat) covering a Mike Nesmith song. Never tire of this.

Oh yes love it! If grumpy old Mike sung it, it would be a rather sour "hey don't tie me down, babe", but in Linda's hands it's a strong statement of independence. Linda didn't like it (of course, they never do) but I'm a sucker for that late 60's harpsichord tinkling, much like this song I love, and it's much better than ANY other version:

Speaking of harpsichords, I love this song so much that I don't really care about anything else from the band, especially the rambling lyrics and the BBC 70s outro:

And speaking of orchestral bits halfway through, I only discovered this song last year, and it's gone to the top of the list.... Penny Lane with a dose of League Of Nations

famethrowa

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 01, 2024, 11:04:53 AMAnother Nesmith/Monkees one from the best movie ever, Head.

Just as a pointless aside, my nephew was telling us he'd been working on a bridge for the council, which was approaching its official opening. I helpfully asked "will it be like the opening scene of Head?" No-one cared.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 01, 2024, 11:04:53 AMAnother Nesmith/Monkees one from the best movie ever, Head.

Circle Sky.

Yass! Gotta be the live cut from the film too, the studio version always feels like it's lacking something in comparison.

While it was probably tinkered with a bit in post (I believe Mike re-dubbed his vocal after the fact), the above clip should lay waste to anyone still claiming that the Monkees were just puppets who couldn't play there own instruments or perform there own songs etc.

Dr Rock

Quote from: BJBMK2 on February 01, 2024, 01:22:24 PMYass! Gotta be the live cut from the film too, the studio version always feels like it's lacking something in comparison.

Also you get to see someone shot dead in the head, for those who like that sort of thing.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

bgmnts

BREAKING THE LAW!! How I feel when that comes on:

Bentpitch