Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs That Are So Inimitable That Nobody Is Foolish Enough To Cover Them

Started by Dr Rock, February 01, 2024, 05:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

1. SINNERMAN by the fantastic Nina Simone...

It appears about three bands have covered it, and they're all dreadful. Which proves my point, in a way.

What songs do you etc etc?

Video Game Fan 2000

edit: ah fuck those boring Uncut pleasing losers Lambchop did this

Kankurette

madhair60

Dr Rock

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Kankurette on February 01, 2024, 07:19:21 PMI'd say I Am the Walrus, but Oasis did it.

And it's a great cover in my humble. Any song is coverable because it's about the style of the band/producer doing the cover rather than the song being covered.

wrec

Johnny Cash's Hurt. Nobody but the man in black could have come up with this and it's impossible to imagine anyone else singing those words.

Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah. Buckley dug deep to come up with something so personal and inimitable that nobody would dare try to put their own spin on it.

Candyflip's Strawberry Fields Forever. Impossible to hear this classic without thinking of 1990 and "the summer of love".

Metallica's Whiskey in the Jar. A true story about James Hetfield's experiences as a NWOBHM-obsessed 18th century highwayman in the mountains of counties Cork and Kerry.

Shaxberd

I was gonna say Bohemian Rhapsody - why would you cover another band's most famous song, that is also quite long and unusually structured - but Panic at the Disco apparently did it, the fools.

Revolution 9 then. Bet nobody's done that.

phantom_power

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 02, 2024, 07:29:17 AMO Superman

Bowie did a live version if that counts

Space Oddity? I am sure someone has covered it but I bet it was rubs

Anything in the genre of prog rock. Though you can sort of imagine Radiohead having a punt at, say, Grendel by Marillion.

Quote from: Shaxberd on February 02, 2024, 08:26:00 AMI was gonna say Bohemian Rhapsody - why would you cover another band's most famous song, that is also quite long and unusually structured - but Panic at the Disco apparently did it, the fools.

Fuck them, Weasel Walter did it brilliantly.

gilbertharding

In my office we have Radio 2 but not quite loud enough to properly hear... so yesterday I happened to hear some dreadful guff by the Libertines, who were Live In Session in the BBC Piano Room, with an orchestra. And then a few seconds later I heard this racket had become a quite well rendered cover version of the ending of Alone Again Or, by Love. And when the music ended, the DJ informed me that I had just heard The Fucking Libertines performing their version of Alone Again Or.

I mean, the audacity. The sheer bloody CHEEK of these cunts.

gilbertharding

On the other hand, I would hope that everyone has heard the track by track cover version of The Who Sell Out by Petra Haden?

gilbertharding

Sorry  - I presumed from 90% of the posts that the thread was 'Songs that you'd THINK were so inimitable no-one would cover them, but it turns out you're wrong'

Dr Rock

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 02, 2024, 10:01:11 AMSorry  - I presumed from 90% of the posts that the thread was 'Songs that you'd THINK were so inimitable no-one would cover them, but it turns out you're wrong'

It should've been titled  'Songs That Are So Inimitable That Almost Nobody Is Foolish Enough To Cover Them, And If They Do It's Crap' but I couldn't fit that in.

The Mollusk

dmillburn

Quote from: Shaxberd on February 02, 2024, 08:26:00 AMI was gonna say Bohemian Rhapsody - why would you cover another band's most famous song, that is also quite long and unusually structured - but Panic at the Disco apparently did it, the fools.

Bet it's not as good as this. "No, no, no, no, no, no absolutely not".

Dr Rock

Protomen are generally great at covers, and this is quite good, but too slavish to the original so not much point.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 02, 2024, 10:18:59 AMIt should've been titled  'Songs That Are So Inimitable That Almost Nobody Is Foolish Enough To Cover Them, And If They Do It's Crap' but I couldn't fit that in.

Ah!

gilbertharding

Didn't the Durrans also cover White Lines for the same album (with an irony that simply can't have been accidental)?

Good Hank

Anyone else done 'A Design for Life'? If they have, I don't think I want to hear it.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Good Hank on February 02, 2024, 05:06:57 PMAnyone else done 'A Design for Life'? If they have, I don't think I want to hear it.

Nouvelle Vague have probably done a fey, wet 'n' wispy one, but I haven't checked.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 02, 2024, 10:18:59 AMIt should've been titled  'Songs That Are So Inimitable That Almost Nobody Is Foolish Enough To Cover Them, And If They Do It's Crap' but I couldn't fit that in.

Justin Hawkins doing This Town Isn't Big Enough For the Both of Us