Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,800
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wednesday morning buy a pile of Porcupine Tree cds

Started by dontpaintyourteeth, February 07, 2024, 12:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

Just got the PORCUPINE TREE albums IN ABSENTIA, THE INCIDENT, DEADWING, and FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET for a quid each in a charity shop. Are any of them good? I only really know yer man because of the BASS COMMUNION stuff with MUSLIMGAUZE and from his work remixing old prog bands such as JETHRO TULL.

Please spare me from any replies like "why don't you just use streaming granddad, you wazzock" or "listen to them instead of asking us, you pranny"

Also I'm experimenting with writing names in ALL CAPS like I'm a septic discussing a film on twitter, hope that's okay.

Anyway general Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson thread I guess, have at it. Or don't. I'm not your mother.

JaDanketies

I was briefly into them at the time the guy did the Storm Corrosion project in collab with the guy from Opeth, who I was a big fan of. He also produced Opeth's Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation which I still think are blinding albums (maybe less so Damnation nowadays), in fact everything up until around about when Opeth stopped being metal is blinding

Magnum Valentino

I remember seeing Steven Wilson on BBC Breakfast News a few years ago discussing how he had a top ten album despite not really being a household name or getting any airplay. I have his concert blu-ray and always have considered giving Porcupine Tree a go, if I saw them for a quid each I'd have bought them as well. I've also got a fair few of his remixes of old albums (Gentle Giant, Sabbath etc.)

Still can't quite forgive the dreadful lyric on Fear Of A Blank Planet though. "Xbox...is a god to me. Finger on the swtich, my mother is a bitch" etc. Far too on the nose to take seriously. He also comes across like a right prat on the Opeth making-of documentaries but so does their singer.

Famous Mortimer

I love a bit of Bass Communion, and remember how much I liked their very early stuff (I had a CD single of "Voyage 34", which Wikipedia is telling me was not the complete thing). But there's a great swathe I'm completely unfamiliar with, which I realise is not very useful to you.

dontpaintyourteeth

I don't really have that much for this one to be honest with you. It'll probably be months before I get around to actually listening to them anyway. Thread regret.

dmillburn

I used to be a big fan of the earlier stuff but I haven't listened to them in a very long time. I got into them after picking up the Voyage 34 CD in 1992, then got "On the Sunday of life" from good old Mister CD on Berwick Street for a quid a couple of weeks later.

It turned out that, unknown to me at the time, one of my mates, Kozmik Ken, was their tour manager back then so I after a while I ended up roadying for them for a bit which was good fun - I helped out with a few Stupid Deam/Lightbulb Sun UK dates as well as a festival in Switzerland and a few gigs in Poland. Can report that they were all a GBOL.

The last album I listed to was In Absentia, they'd moved quite far from the early stuff I enjoyed by then and I've only heard the odd track since then and it wasn't for me. I did pretty well on ebay though selling early fan club tapes and cds which funded a family holiday.

iamcoop

Gonna get rightfully slammed for this take probably, but as much as I adore 60s/70s prog the idea of modern prog, ie lads in hoodies wearing trainers playing that sort of stuff just doesn't sit well with me.

I need people in flairs and capes taking themselves far too seriously on a bootleg from Cambridge Corn Exchange '72 thanks.

I don't want someone called Kieran playing a PRS trying to get me to tune in and drop out playing horrible sounding modern synths.

Ok nice one post

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: iamcoop on February 07, 2024, 05:16:52 PMGonna get rightfully slammed for this take probably, but as much as I adore 60s/70s prog the idea of modern prog, ie lads in hoodies wearing trainers playing that sort of stuff just doesn't sit well with me.

I need people in flairs and capes taking themselves far too seriously on a bootleg from Cambridge Corn Exchange '72 thanks.

I don't want someone called Kieran playing a PRS trying to get me to tune in and drop out playing horrible sounding modern synths.

Ok nice one post

Truthfully this is instinctively how I feel as well but that seems harsh somehow, like maybe one day I should buy something (relatively) modern off Burning Shed, not just faintly embarassing old stuff, you know?