Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:29:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Russell Brand - now "a Christian" [split topic]

Started by Mr Trumpet, March 03, 2024, 02:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on March 03, 2024, 04:15:18 PMIf you regard who was picked as a saint, the most efficient method isn't to accomplish miracles, to live a life in poverty or to be a martyr. Historically, most saints are reformed sinners.

Yeah but don't you have to do something other than not be a sinner anymore? If Brand makes money out of this he'll be like one of those televangelists with a private jet in the back of their mansion.

None of them are saints, are they?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 03, 2024, 07:30:13 PMThe Christian teachings say you can do any old horrible shit you like and it will all get scrubbed off your record if you just say sorry to god later on without any attempt to make amends

It's a numbers game with God. He's like an accountant. No soul refused. Just say you're sorry and that's another one for our team. You may not be a Christian in life but we'll get you sooner or later.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 03, 2024, 04:00:59 PMPlus the long hair and stupid goatee beard. The christian thing is interesting. He must know that people who have faith are often more susceptible to other types of fanciful and magical thinking, more likely to fall for any old bullshit. The right wing in America has mined the evangelical flock for votes for quite a while now, and it wasn't through using reasoned debate and policies that benefited them.

citation needed

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 04, 2024, 11:50:52 AMcitation needed

Come on man have you ever seen a megachurch? People who give money to Kenneth Copeland? People who explain their love of Trump by going on about the rapture. Russell Brand wouldn't be a big leap for these people. They're primed for this.

I think if you believe in the second coming and Earth being a couple of thousand years old, you're susceptible to conmen and assorted bull crap. Q Anon, deep state, 5d, chemtrails. Maybe some of these people are atheists but it's got to be a minority.

phantom_power

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 04, 2024, 12:06:03 PMPeople who explain their love of Trump by going on about the rapture

People who believe Trump gives a shit about religion beyond it increasing his demographic

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 04, 2024, 11:40:55 AMnah Soctrates, if we believe Plato, was cancelled well before Jesus

For the Bill and Ted thing?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 04, 2024, 12:06:03 PMCome on man have you ever seen a megachurch? People who give money to Kenneth Copeland? People who explain their love of Trump by going on about the rapture. Russell Brand wouldn't be a big leap for these people. They're primed for this.

I think if you believe in the second coming and Earth being a couple of thousand years old, you're susceptible to conmen and assorted bull crap. Q Anon, deep state, 5d, chemtrails. Maybe some of these people are atheists but it's got to be a minority.

Just because I happened to listen to this podcast about this, Scamanda was a fairly recent example of a grifter taking money from gullible religious Megachurch types.

These chickens are ripe for the grifting/plucking.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 04, 2024, 11:40:55 AMnah Soctrates, if we believe Plato, was cancelled well before Jesus
Most of the Old Testament prophets were cancelled in one way or another, just for telling the truth. Isaiah was sawn in two under orders of Manasseh, a descendant of King David, so maybe Brand would like to try that. King Saul, traditionally said to have reigned around 900 BCE, was cancelled by God after God ordered him to kill all the Amalekites and their livestock, but Saul refused to kill the cows (OK maybe less relevant).

g0m

God isn't going to be able to recover from this one

[/quote
Big if!

Barry Admin

Why? Plato didn't give the only contemporary report, I was reading up about it all again last night funnily enough.

Ray Travez

Is he a Christian? My impression is he has a woolly spirituality, cobbled together from bits of Hare Krishna, Buddhism, Christianity and hippie philosophy. A new age mish-mash, essentially.

The stuff he says about Jesus seems to be him relating to the story of Christ's suffering on the cross.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 04, 2024, 08:21:03 PMWhy? Plato didn't give the only contemporary report, I was reading up about it all again last night funnily enough.

A lot of what we know about the man Socrates comes from Plato who tended to big the guy up a lot. I put that in as we don't know for sure if you could say Socrates was cancelled for something he shouldn't have or was he actually just a bit of a dickhead who rightly deserved his fate. If you talked to Plato about it he would very likely make out Socrates was killed for his heoric pure beleifs etc etc, died a marter he did where as the average Athenian it could well have been 'They got him bang to rights'.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 05, 2024, 10:43:18 AMA lot of what we know about the man Socrates comes from Plato who tended to big the guy up a lot. I put that in as we don't know for sure if you could say Socrates was cancelled for something he shouldn't have or was he actually just a bit of a dickhead who rightly deserved his fate. If you talked to Plato about it he would very likely make out Socrates was killed for his heoric pure beleifs etc etc, died a marter he did where as the average Athenian it could well have been 'They got him bang to rights'.

Aristophanes was certainly less complimentary about Socrates, accusing him of teaching people how to dishonestly get out of debts as well as the common charge of corrupting young people to turn against their parents, although this was in a comic play so it's not necessarily any more accurate than claims about Kenneth Baker being a slug in Spitting Image. Plato's various dialogues massively contradict each other, but it's clear that a lot of people (not just Plato) thought Socrates was good and important (there were a vast amount of fake Socratic dialogues written by many people).

While Russell Brand has attracted nearly as much press and public debate as Socrates, there hasn't been the same rush to publish dozens of fake sequels to My Booky Wooky. To the best of my knowledge. Although there is still time.

Also looking forward to several infancy gospels about the prodigious feats of the little baby Russell Brand.

Cuellar

The first cancellation was probably some australopithecus coming the cunt

Maurice Yeatman

Barry Admin

Please someone better informed start a thread about Aristophanes! I always love reading about him and was trying to get round to reading The Clouds at the weekend. I fucking love ancient Greece and Greek mythology* sooooo much, and really need to bone up on the comedy scene.

* I'm reading Nonnus at the minute, how the fuck do you beat stuff like Typhon stacking up mountains to throw at Zeus?

Cuellar

Hatshepsut and Akhenaten were cancelled MILES before Socrates

Damnatio memoriae has been going on forever.

bgmnts

Frogs and Other Plays for £3.90 seems a bargain. Wonder if that's a good introduction to Aristophanes.

In Our Time did an episode on one of his plays involving Socrates, part of a Comedy in Ancient Greece episode.

Barry Admin

Quote from: bgmnts on March 05, 2024, 01:10:05 PMIn Our Time did an episode on one of his plays involving Socrates, part of a Comedy in Ancient Greece episode.

Ooh thanks! I was intrigued by the mention of this show earlier in GB. I've been very much enjoying "The Rest Is History" podcast, and this seems like a great alternative.

ERADICATOR!

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 03, 2024, 07:30:13 PMThe Christian teachings say you can do any old horrible shit you like and it will all get scrubbed off your record if you just say sorry to god later on without any attempt to make amends, and unless you're a catholic you don't even need to go through any kind of punishment for it. Perfect new direction for ol RB

Kinda makes you wonder why they have hell doesn't it?

ERADICATOR!

Quote from: PaoloTramezzani on March 04, 2024, 09:02:00 PMSorry I was thinking of Jason Plato

Or Dana Plato. She died for our sins too. Well, mostly her own, tbf.

Thosworth

Quote from: ERADICATOR! on March 16, 2024, 10:40:33 PMKinda makes you wonder why they have hell doesn't it?

(Christian) Hell's for the Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists etc. etc.

(To be fair, you can argue the Bible states anything from 'almost everyone' to 'almost no one', which is the fun of pick and mixing from a book of vague statements to create a set of values that exactly match your own)