Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:06:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Cook- advice sought

Started by magister, March 15, 2024, 06:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magister

I've been reading Harry Thompson's biography of Cook, which got me interested in watching as much of Cook as I've been able to get hold of.

So far, I've watched Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer, Bedazzled, Hound of the Baskervilles, The Bed Sitting Room, the Jonathan Miller Alice in Wonderland and Mr Jolly Lives Next Door. I enjoyed all of it apart from Baskervilles, which I previously saw when I was 9 - my headmaster decided it was the ideal choice for an end of term film show. It might well be another 43 years before I next watch it.

I've bought the BBC Best of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, plus The Wrong Box and I've recorded a couple of things that BBC4 showed recently - Parkinson interviewing Cook and an episode of Talking Comedy about Cook and Moore.

What else would people recommend?

neveragain

Have you listened to Why Bother? Or any Derek and Clive? Or seen his chat show appearance, playing four different characters opposite host Clive Anderson? There's also One Foot In The Algarve and The Comic Strip Presents... Mr Jolly Lives Next Door.

FredNurke

Beyond the Fringe is essential - there are, or were, a DVD and a CD set.

magister

I've seen Algarve years ago and Mr Jolly recently.

Reading Thompson's biography rather put me off the idea of Derek and Clive - he made it sound pretty joyless.

I've just ordered Why Bother from ebay. £31 from amazon or £3.48 from ebay. Not a difficult choice.

magister

I've found Beyond the Fringe available as a podcast, so I'm downloading it.

magister

I'm watching the BBC best of dvd - I've reached the Neasden Shakespeare sketch. How the hell have I reached 52 without seeing this?

You owe it to yourself to at least give Derek & Clive a try! If you can make it to the end of this without laughing, it's probably not for you

magister

I lasted till 3.10 before laughing. I might give some more a try.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: magister on March 15, 2024, 06:39:51 PMI've been reading Harry Thompson's biography of Cook, which got me interested in watching as much of Cook as I've been able to get hold of.

So far, I've watched Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer, Bedazzled, Hound of the Baskervilles, The Bed Sitting Room, the Jonathan Miller Alice in Wonderland and Mr Jolly Lives Next Door. I enjoyed all of it apart from Baskervilles, which I previously saw when I was 9 - my headmaster decided it was the ideal choice for an end of term film show. It might well be another 43 years before I next watch it.

I've bought the BBC Best of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, plus The Wrong Box and I've recorded a couple of things that BBC4 showed recently - Parkinson interviewing Cook and an episode of Talking Comedy about Cook and Moore.

What else would people recommend?

All of it...

... and rewatch/relisten what you do have.

There are various audio recordings of out of print stuff that can be accessed at: http://stabbers.truth.posiweb.net/stabbers/html/discography.htm - Good Evening is a favourite of mine.

The site also has various information about performances, work in print etc to track down.

Re: Beyond The Fringe - there are several versions and would recommend all of them. For example, there are two Broadway recordings, one of which features Paxton Whitehead instead of Miller and Bennett manfully dying a death in a monologue that the American audience doesn't get.

re: Derek and Clive - I would recommend listening to them, but I can't say I'm a fan.

magister

I've bookmarked The Establishment- I'll have a look through it later.

The BBC best of has just reached The Glidd of Glodd.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Oosp

You've probably watched them already, but if not, for the love of Jaysus watch the four Clive Anderson bits:

These are all from the same episode (December 17th 1993) - recorded within a few weeks of Why Bother? and featuring four distinct characters. This may be common knowledge. Either way, enjoy

magister

No, I've not seen them - been meaning to, though - thanks for linking to them.

Glebe

Remember watching the Clive Anderson appearance when it first went out.*

*28 I was.

magister

Quote from: Glebe on March 15, 2024, 09:04:32 PMRemember watching the Clive Anderson appearance when it first went out.*

*28 I was.

I'm watching an old Arena documentary of Peter Sellers' home movies. I saw it when it was first shown in 1995. I was 24 and living in a bedsit with my girlfriend who was pregnant. Neither of us was working and we were living absolutely hand to mouth. Nearly 29 years ago. If you told me that one day I'd be looking back wistfully, I'd have told you you were off your head, but here I am.

Where do the bloody years go?

lauraxsynthesis

I think BtF in full is also on YouTube

I'd also recommend listening to D&C first and in order of release, then the video for completeness.

JesusAndYourBush

Nobody's mentioned "Not Only But Also" yet, so watch that, at least what's left of it.

magister

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 15, 2024, 09:55:24 PMNobody's mentioned "Not Only But Also" yet, so watch that, at least what's left of it.

I've just watched this evening the BBC dvd of the best of Cook and Moore. Is there any more Not Only But Also available or is that it?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 15, 2024, 09:55:24 PMNobody's mentioned "Not Only But Also" yet, so watch that, at least what's left of it.

Bit harsh calling the OP nobody.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on March 15, 2024, 07:27:06 PMYou owe it to yourself to at least give Derek & Clive a try! If you can make it to the end of this without laughing, it's probably not for you

I think my favorite has to be
"Basically, she suffered from, er, what was known in-, in the medical trade as 'lobsters-up-the-arsehole'."

Minami Minegishi

I hope you enjoy Why Bother? I adore that CD so much.

magister

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 15, 2024, 10:05:13 PMBit harsh calling the OP nobody.

I'm very unobtrusive. I just blend into the background

Ignatius_S

Quote from: magister on March 15, 2024, 10:01:56 PMI've just watched this evening the BBC dvd of the best of Cook and Moore. Is there any more Not Only But Also available or is that it?

The one you have is essentially a repackaged version of the VHS release, albeit with two minutes shaved off it.

There was a later DVD release in the US, which is of a six-episode compilation series broadcast in the UK in the 1990s and has more than the above VHS and the DVD versions (those are essentially a compilation of a compilation).

However, just to make things fine you need the VHS, UK DVD and US DVD to have everything - i.e. each has content only available on that release.

magister

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 15, 2024, 10:28:37 PMThe one you have is essentially a repackaged version of the VHS release, albeit with two minutes shaved off it.

There was a later DVD release in the US, which is of a six-episode compilation series broadcast in the UK in the 1990s and has more than the above VHS and the DVD versions (those are essentially a compilation of a compilation).

However, just to make things fine you need the VHS, UK DVD and US DVD to have everything - i.e. each has content only available on that release.

Thank you- was the compilation series on Sunday nights? I think I remember it being on during my first term at university (Oct to Dec 1990) and missing most of it because other people wanted to watch stuff.

I'll have a look for the US discs.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: magister on March 15, 2024, 10:35:33 PMThank you- was the compilation series on Sunday nights? I think I remember it being on during my first term at university (Oct to Dec 1990) and missing most of it because other people wanted to watch stuff.

I'll have a look for the US discs.

I can't remember what day it was on but think it was only shown once, so think you'll be right.

Since the DVD releases, more material has been recovered (including audio only) but whether that gets a release is another matter....

magister

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 15, 2024, 10:43:35 PMI can't remember what day it was on but think it was only shown once, so think you'll be right.

Since the DVD releases, more material has been recovered (including audio only) but whether that gets a release is another matter....

Much to my surprise, it looks like I was right...

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_two_england/1990-12-02#at-20.05

BBC2 at five past eight on Sunday evenings.

Beagle 2

I would highly recommend reading Tragically I was an Only Twin. I fact I must dig my copy of that out again.

TheMonk

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 15, 2024, 10:28:37 PMThe one you have is essentially a repackaged version of the VHS release, albeit with two minutes shaved off it.
What was in the two minutes. Their modern day introduction?

magister

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 15, 2024, 10:57:11 PMI would highly recommend reading Tragically I was an Only Twin. I fact I must dig my copy of that out again.

Thank you - ordered.

magister

Quote from: TheMonk on March 15, 2024, 11:07:00 PMWhat was in the two minutes. Their modern day introduction?

If that's the scene where they're doing Pete and Dud with Pete's accepting Dud's apology, then that's included.

Oosp

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 15, 2024, 10:57:11 PMI would highly recommend reading Tragically I was an Only Twin. I fact I must dig my copy of that out again.

Seconded. Marvellous