Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Rogue One

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 07, 2016, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

But new villain will clearly die though, as he's nowhere to be seen in A New Hope, isn't it? So there's not really a way around that, unless Vader is used as the main baddie throughout. Which sounds better, admittedly

phantom_power

The new baddie might not die. He just might be in a different part of the galaxy during ANH

greenman

Even if he does die surely it makes sense to have that happen at the climax of the film not partway though then have Vader step in.

phantom_power

I imagine Vader will be an over-arching villain, like The Master in Empire Strikes Back. Either that or just a brief cameo

Kelvin

I guessing he'll be the star of the final set-piece, as a last ditch effort by the Empire to regain the plans. He'll cut through most of remaining cast, but the main character and maybe one or two more, will escape and deliver the plans to Princess Leia. The final scene will be set on an isolated island, in the middle of an ocean, with the lead girl silently holding up the death star plans, to a stony-faced Leia in a fake beard. Close with a wobbly helicopter shot of the two of them. Da nana nana nana. Da da dada daaaa da dada daaa da dada daaa daaaaaaa....

Ant Farm Keyboard

And you'll watch the film enough times to develop some Stockholm syndrome about it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: phantom_power on May 19, 2016, 12:40:00 PM
The Master in Empire Strikes Back.
Unless you've been reading some cruddy fan fiction, I assume you mean The Emperor.

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 19, 2016, 01:14:25 PM
Unless you've been reading some cruddy fan fiction, I assume you mean The Emperor.

Boh! Yeah. I are a twat

greenman

If they did have Vader involved more I think it would make sense to have him on more even terms with Ben Mendelsohn's Imp officer more akin to Tarkin and Vader in ANH, some speculation he could actually be playing a slightly younger Tarkin although I doubt it personally.

If your going to have films set during the original trilogy/Empire era I think it makes sense to go back to having more internal politics in the Empire as in A New Hope. The Imp officers as brow beaten lackys in Empire and Jedi worked well enough but those characters wouldn't make for decent lead villians.

Honestly I would say that's probably the easiest path to produce something decent with Star Wars as well, recycle the Rebels/Empire conflict on a smaller scale and hire someone with a bit of gravitas as an evil Imp officer, maybe Jeremy Irons can finally get a decent fantasy/sci fi  franchise appearance?

The problem with all these Star Wars prequels is you know, broadly, what's going to happen and how it will end. So forget about tension or meaningful plot twists.
Using all new characters in this one will hopefully offset that, so maybe it's best old Vades is kept to a minimum.

Head Gardener

'The Force' is strong with this one

greenman

I find your lack of eton cufflinks disturbing.

Glebe

Disney execs in a panic over upcoming 'Star Wars' film.

QuoteOne Hollywood source told us, "The execs at Disney are not happy with the movie, and 'Rogue One' will have to go back into four weeks of expensive reshoots in July."

The thing is, it's not gonna be like a straight-up saga movie... the execs are prolly trying to turn in into The Force Awaken 1.5 or summit.

Replies From View

Would be funny if the tapes for this and the Christmas Special were accidentally switched and all the cinemas ended up showing the wrong one.

Kelvin

Quote from: Glebe on May 31, 2016, 02:06:00 PM
The thing is, it's not gonna be like a straight-up saga movie... the execs are prolly trying to turn in into The Force Awaken 1.5 or summit.

Exactly. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the film doesn't have quality problems, but just isn't enough like Force Awakens for Disney. If they're going back for reshoots, they could be improving the movie, or they could be creating jarring tone and style problems throughout. 

mothman

I suppose it's possible that the film at present could be TOO close in tone to the main-sequence films, and they were hoping for something more distinctive and unique. But, nah, it'll be because it's not enough like them. Some power struggle between mid-level Disney execs trying to manage their bosses' expectations.

That, or there aren't enough toy-centric vehicular sequences, or those that are feature female characters too much, which will make Disney look silly when the toys are released with male action figures or Minifigs. And they'd probably change the film as a result rather than change the toys...

Ignatius_S

I'll confess that I've never heard of that site. Does it have a good track record with these kind of stories?

The Duck Man

I'm trying to think of a studio film that has gone into "extensive reshoots" and hasn't turned out an utter mess.

I'm probably forgetting some OK ones though.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Duck Man on May 31, 2016, 05:21:28 PM
I'm trying to think of a studio film that has gone into "extensive reshoots" and hasn't turned out an utter mess.

It probably depends why they're reshooting. If they're trying to make the story clearer, add scenes, add action, it probably improves the film. If they're trying to retroactively amend the tone, style, or plot of the film, it will probably be pretty jarring. I certainly don't think reshoots are inherently a bad or even worrying thing, though. Some form of reshoots - even late in the game - are very common in studio films.

Sgt. Duckie

Mad Max Fury Road springs to mind. Quite the achievement,  yet its extensive reshoots had many speculating it would be a write-off. I'm sure it isn't the exception to the rule.

Ignatius_S

IIRC, before The Force Awakens was released, there were reports that it was being reshot but the publications had to perform a volte-face.

Well, Jaws was one and that tends to be a film that's quite well regarded.

There have been plenty of films that had significant reshooting (particularly the ending) and it worked out well. Guardians of the Galaxy is a recent example as is Fury Road, as Sgt. Duckie says. Also, sometimes plenty of reshoots isn't necessarily as drastic as it sounds and they're not desperately trying to change the film as much as possible.

It's argued that the way films are made mean that reshoots can make more sense than they used to and articles like this - http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/18663/why-reshoots-aren't-a-reason-to-hit-the-panic-button - make that point.

Glebe

Quote from: Ignatius_S on May 31, 2016, 04:32:46 PMI'll confess that I've never heard of that site. Does it have a good track record with these kind of stories?

Found the article via Cinemablend (and went to the source)... I've believe I've come across Page Six before - as to their reliability as a source, I didn't spot this the first time I scanned Cinemablend's article:

QuoteWhile we must warn you about the fact that this report came from the infamous Page Six off-shoot of the New York Post, the content of these rumors sound extremely familiar.

So yeah, grain of salt I guess.

Shaky

Exactly. I suspect their problem is that it doesn't have enough Vader or some other piece of iconography, rather than there being any huge storytelling issues. I mean look at TFA etc etc. Not without it's faults in that regard.

Maybe the CGI Peter Cushing accidentally had his willy out the whole time.

phantom_power

I doubt there are many big studio films that haven't had "extensive reshoots", either real or imagined.

Hollow

I think it's been considered 'too dark', which means they are about to ruin completely on purpose another film based on test audiences...I hate it when studios do this, they don't seem to understand there is a market for 'depressing' films, or films with a more realistic outlook.

Just so they can rinse a few more quid out of audiences they are willing to slaughter someones artistic vision...and they never learn that it never works.

I was geniunely looking forward to this film, it looked like it may have had some atmosphere.

Blumf

Surely it'd be a money spinner to first release the 'studio meddled' version, then a few months later the 'original' version. Why haven't film companies done this before?[nb]Yeah, I know you get things like Blade Runner, but that was over the course of years/decades and against exec's wishes[/nb]

That is assuming it really is meddling in this case, and not just tidying up some rough edges.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Blumf on June 01, 2016, 11:58:03 AM
Surely it'd be a money spinner to first release the 'studio meddled' version, then a few months later the 'original' version. Why haven't film companies done this before?[nb]Yeah, I know you get things like Blade Runner, but that was over the course of years/decades and against exec's wishes[/nb]

That is assuming it really is meddling in this case, and not just tidying up some rough edges.

They did this for Kingdom of Heaven, but Ridley Scott had negotiated the two cuts beforehand.

Glebe

More info...

QuoteThe goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure...

..."This is the closest thing to a prequel ever," a source tells THR. "This takes place just before A New Hope and leads up to the 10 minutes before that classic film begins. You have to match the tone!"

Replies From View

Probably just need to add Jar Jar into a few shots and they're done.

momatt

QuoteThis is the closest thing to a prequel ever

Apart from those three prequels.