Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,808
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantilisation

Started by touchingcloth, March 30, 2017, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 21, 2017, 10:22:05 AM

Has van technology suddenly leapt forward a few parsecs?

That sort of data processing/display is pretty much a matter of a little code writing. The radio or any other display has access to raw data from any sensor or processed data from any computer in the car through a network, just needs someone to think up a way to use the data. Enabling things like power door locks that lock when you pull away from a stop that would have been a nightmare in the 80s are now trivial matters that don't add any hardware or wiring complexity at all. The wiring loom to the instrument cluster on an 80s car might be the size of your wrist. Today it may be 4 or 5 wires.

touchingcloth

If all of the computer systems in a car are networked together, doesn't that have some pretty grim ramifications in case any artificial intelligences we produce develop malevolent tendencies? They'd be able to take over our whole cars, not just interfere with windscreen wipers or the radio or whatever in isolation.

Blumf

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 21, 2017, 03:27:09 PM
If all of the computer systems in a car are networked together, doesn't that have some pretty grim ramifications in case any artificial intelligences we produce develop malevolent tendencies? They'd be able to take over our whole cars, not just interfere with windscreen wipers or the radio or whatever in isolation.

That is a real problem, and the car industry aren't taking much note of it so far.

Famous case from a few years back, system crash (WinCE, surprise surprise) locks person in his car[nb]Although, in fairness, pre-computerised cars could have similar problems. The DeLorean was famous for draining it's battery which would result in the electronic door locks being inoperable, locking you in if you're unlucky.[/nb]:
http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2003/n051301.shtml

More recent proof of concept hacks:
https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/

It'll only get worse as car makers add on more bells and whistles along with always on internet connectivity. Eventually it'll take some big lawsuits and gov regulation to demand better security.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah. Internet connectivity is being cobbled to all sorts of shit much like the digital clock was in the 80's. It's just bodged in as a modular component; usually with already vulnerable firmware and no thought on how to upgrade it. Essentially making those shit hacker films of the early '90s[nb]Except Sneakers; Sneakers was the shit.[/nb] that we laughed at for being impossible seem strangely prescient.

This catalogues it well:
Check out Internet of Shit (@internetofshit): https://twitter.com/internetofshit?s=09

Chairman Bodog

I decided to be a member of Lib Dems and they thanked me by sending a cat gif in an email. I fucking might just vote Tory now.

Dr Syntax Head

The Google doodle. That Cassini one is just total Facebook like bait

Sebastian Cobb

I was in Morrisons last night and noticed they were selling cheap (well not really that cheap) 'Wonky' onions that were 'beautiful on the inside'. Just fuck off.

I've no problem with buying seconds, but you can tell that they were aimed at the sort of wanker who thinks they deserve a pat on the back for buying slightly fucked veg nobody else wants, as if it's an altruistic act up there with adopting a mangy 3-legged cat. Also they were about the size of shallots, the fact I'd need to peel several was far more off-putting.

Norton Canes

United Airlines investigates giant bunny death

"The 90cm-long bunny, called Simon, was found dead in the cargo hold when the flight arrived at Chicago's O'Hare airport from London Heathrow"

Fuck's sake, if you want a synonym for rabbit just use 'animal'

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 27, 2017, 09:46:32 AM
United Airlines investigates giant bunny death

"The 90cm-long bunny, called Simon, was found dead in the cargo hold when the flight arrived at Chicago's O'Hare airport from London Heathrow"

Fuck's sake, if you want a synonym for rabbit just use 'animal'

O Hare, you flew too close to the sun.

Quincey

QuoteA Soviet Monument Got A Rainbow Makeover And People Have Opinions

Fair enough covering it, but "People have opinions"? "Click on this link, we've included people's views as well as coverage of the story.

MoonDust

Saw a sandwich board sign for a cafe/bar in Manchester that had an arrow pointing towards the place saying "Coffee this way" and below, another arrow pointing up a side street saying "I dunno. Bears maybe. Wouldn't risk it."

GET IN THE FUCKING SEA!

Also saw someone on Facebook post "May the fourth be with you". Can't believe that shit's still going.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: MoonDust on May 04, 2017, 11:43:02 AM
Saw a sandwich board sign for a cafe/bar in Manchester that had an arrow pointing towards the place saying "Coffee this way" and below, another arrow pointing up a side street saying "I dunno. Bears maybe. Wouldn't risk it."

GET IN THE FUCKING SEA!

Also saw someone on Facebook post "May the fourth be with you". Can't believe that shit's still going.

Yeah I spoke about the stupid fucking Star Wars day in the S4C thread.

That sandwich board is horrible. I bet the godawful idiot that wrote it was really pleased with themselves. Probably has a top knot.

Blumf

New film out December mate! Well stoked.

Squeeeeeeee!

Captain Z

Tomorrow: Revenge of the 5th

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Captain Z on May 04, 2017, 12:20:04 PM
Tomorrow: Revenge of the 5th

Day after that. Revenge of the 6th

selsdon man

Quote from: Quincey on May 04, 2017, 11:40:49 AM
QuoteA Soviet Monument Got A Rainbow Makeover And People Have Opinions
Fair enough covering it, but "People have opinions"? "Click on this link, we've included people's views as well as coverage of the story.
It's more realistic than claiming a non-existent "controversy". It's not exactly news though.

Bobtoo

Further to the van chat earlier in the thread, I achieved Eco Champion today.

Very good!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: selsdon man on May 04, 2017, 04:04:58 PM

It's more realistic than claiming a non-existent "controversy". It's not exactly news though.

Ten things you'll never believe that millennial pricks have persuaded the OED to include, number 4 will D-Fens you!

Dex Sawash

These yard signs started popping up around Easter

Kelvin

Not infantile, persay, but I'm fucking sick of people saying "hashtag *thing*" in lieu of a proper joke. Fucking hell, it's boring. Like one step down from saying "lol" out loud. 

MoonDust

Quote from: Kelvin on May 17, 2017, 04:52:15 PM
Not infantile, persay, but I'm fucking sick of people saying "hashtag *thing*" in lieu of a proper joke. Fucking hell, it's boring. Like one step down from saying "lol" out loud.

#GrowUp

touchingcloth

Quote from: Kelvin on May 17, 2017, 04:52:15 PM

We went round to a friend's the other night for a Eurovision party, and every time someone made a comment that the rest of the group laughed at, this one woman would pipe up with "...hash tag!" in what I assume was an attempt to ride on the joke's coattails, but in a way which only served to deflate the laughter and make people sigh and roll their eyes.

#EuroFriesian #YouKnowLikeTheCowAsInMilkAsInMilkingItDoYouGetItDoYou.

Twit 2

BlodwynPig

He was referring to Percy pig, his favourite gummy chew.

momatt

Yeah, you can't hashtag speech.  That's not how it works.  Try clicking on some words you've just said.  Very difficult.

Certainly not a joke either.

Quincey

The Indy100 clickbait section of the Independent has some really patronisingly worded articles. Then again a lot of clickbait is quite patronising.

Chairman Bodog

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 17, 2017, 05:11:59 PM
We went round to a friend's the other night for a Eurovision party

Imagine doing that unironically.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Chairman Bodog on May 18, 2017, 10:53:45 PM

I'd prefer not to imagine it at all.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Chairman Bodog on May 18, 2017, 10:53:45 PM

I don't have to, I did it unironically. Eurovision is great, and I am unashamed of enjoying it.

Imagine voting for the Nichola's Clegg's, though.

JoeyBananaduck

How about the infantilisation these days of young teens? I may have mentioned elsewhere but my partner works in a school and the way she describes some of the 15/16 year olds you'd swear they were 7 or 8. They are overly pampered to a ridiculous degree and basically choose whether they're 'okay to go to the next lesson'. If not, they can go to a special room and do colouring in. Yesterday alone, a 16 year old girl had to leave the class and miss the next lesson because 'a teacher told her to stop gossiping in the back of class' and she was too overwrought by this polite request to continue. A 16 year old boy ripped up his work and refused to do anything because he had his fucking fidget spinner confiscated. These are people who could conceivably be in the workforce in the next couple of years. Remember how you acted when you were 16. I was working and saving up a bond for my first flat. Now they're crying and screaming because Miss took their spinning top away.